kayak, which one? | SouthernPaddler.com

kayak, which one?

well, being back in the workshop recently has got me thinkin and now I want to build a yak. So far I'm leaning towards the Freedom 13. I like the laker 13 as well but the larger cockpit of the Freedom will make for a better fishin machine.
Just lookin for thoughts. This yak will be purpose built for fishing.
Thanks for your input folks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I made the 1st Freedom 15 as a prototype to try it out. There was one problem that I found and Matt corrected it. The back deck was pointed at the cockpit and Matt removed that point which would get your back after a long day on the water.

It will handle anything from salt water ( Gulf of Mexico) to rivers and lakes without any problems.
I used it for camping and it took all of my gear on several trips. Never fished out of it but fishing out of it would be a lot of fun. It is also just a fun boat to go paddling in.
I liked the larger cockpit since it is easy to get in and out of when the legs don't want to bend so good. My other kayak I need a shoe horn to get in it and a crane to get out of it. :lol:

A friend of mine fell in love with the Freedom and I need more room in the shop to build the Sasquatch 14 so he had the Freedom , until his wife paddled it and it became hers. :wink:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bellybuster said:
thanks Chuck...now ya got me thinkin back to sit in style kayak.
Luckily I don't have to make a decision until the approval process is complete

Not to derail your thoughts but the Wadefish would offer a lot more room to move around in , getting tackle , putting fish away (providing you caught any ,guess that is why it's called fishing and not catching fish ) :roll: . Plus it is self bailing so any water that would get in there is going to drain out by itself.

The wade fish offers more options ( appears to be designed for fishing) but it is a little more complicated to build. Which is a way to say ... longer building time. Decisions , decisions. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bellybuster said:
Chuck...talking to myself is a pastime I'm very familar with

I know what you are saying , some of the best conversations I have had were between the three of us , Me , Myself and I. No matter what the three of us disagreed on , I went ahead and built the boat. :lol: :lol: :lol: Then we agreed it was a wise decision.
Management sometimes does not agree with that decision but loves the idea that I will be gone for a week testing the boat and camping.

Let me explain that........I have a plaque here that sort of says it.

"The expressions expressed by the husband of this house hold are not necessarily those of the management" :roll:

Chuck.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I'm leaning towards the Freedom 13. I like the laker 13 as well but the larger cockpit of the Freedom will make for a better fishin machine.
And what is it exactly that would prevent you from enlarging the cockpit of the Laker? :twisted:
Regards John.

ha!!!! The world is a funny place, here I am wonderin if I;ll get the AOK to build another boat and now I'm gonna build 2 of 'em. One for each of my daughters. We have tandem plastic yaks and go out often, the kids love it so this is a good reason to spend some quality time with them. They are only kids once and I think kayaking is a great keep out of trouble pastime.
I'm thinkin the laker 13 so they have a boat they can continue to use once older.
Life takes some interesting turns indeed. I go from wanting to build a pure fishing machine to building 2 boats for my girls in the blink of an eye.
I shall do a "Build a Boat With Your Kids" thread as soon as we're started.
maybe next year for the wadefish, my pirogue is still holdin up just fine as a fishin machine.

Steve

Bellybuster said:
. . .I shall do a "Build a Boat With Your Kids" thread as soon as we're started.
maybe next year for the wadefish, my pirogue is still holdin up just fine as a fishin machine.

Now, you're talking. . . . . you're about to enter into a whole other realm of life with the kids. . . one of warm memories, great laughs, momemts cherished forever. . . a bonding between you that nothing will ever destroy. . . Looking forward to the thread on that. . . .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BellyBuster,
I'm fond of saying that actually, you'll be building kids with a boat. A Steve says, you'll be in a great world of glue, good times, and memories. My 8 year old granddaughter and I just got back from three days on the Au Sable River in our plywood canoe. It got compliments every day - one from another boat builder. She noticed that.

I am so hyped about this now, I passed it on to my kids last night so I'm committed now. They are excited and are picking colours already, I was showing them picks of the double build for kids by Har_Laker on Matt's site forum and it is now mandatory that the bottom half be painted. (makes it easier to choose plywood) One purple the other blue. I will take them with me to purchase supplies, thinkin I'll get them to throw in some of thier own money as well. There are many lessons to be learned building a boat or anything out of wood for that matter. My eldest will definately have to learn that patience is a good thing.