Knife Repair? | SouthernPaddler.com

Knife Repair?

JammyJ

Nov 27, 2009
Belfast, (but from killyleagh)
(hopefully this is the correct section...)

I have a knife... spanish made cheapish cost around 20 dollars i reckon with a 12inch blade. I had bought it for general purpose hunting/camping. i used it to cut twigs for hides etc when shooting crows and pigeons. one day i chopped a stick that had a bit of wire in it... think it had grown around it a little and i chipped the blade 4 or 5 times before i realised.

Will post photos later maybe,,,but has anyone any thoughts on some kind of repair / modification?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yes, get a better knife with a shorter blade of better steel. A 12" blade is sneaking up on being a machete, and has already surpassed the Arkansas toothpick class, and close to being a pig sticker.

Actually, listen to Joey Dupres'; he handmakes knives and knows of which he speaks. (Though not as good looking as me, he is still a nice guy.)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jammy, how big are the chips? Good news: If you're careful, you can grind the edge back to clean steel. Grind slowly and cool in water often. Bad news: If you grind back much at all (1/16"- 1/8") you end up with the edge on a much thicker section of blade. Result- harder to sharpen due to a lot more metal to remove to form the bevel. The benefit is that the edge will be tougher and a little less likely to chip, but you lose a bit of fine cutting ability. Like Jack said, a 12" blade is getting up there into machete territory. I say grind a new edge on it and keep a small pocket knife on you for delicate work.

Joey

romanji

Feb 4, 2010
you better have to buy a knife with quality rather than to buy a cheap knife then you will always repair it. you don't noticed that it cost much?

JammyJ

Nov 27, 2009
Belfast, (but from killyleagh)
Thanks for the input. I got the knife out.... and took a pic.

(don't think i'll put it up though....I use a personal file on the back of our church website to host my photos for online use... family and build pics not a problem but just dont think it would look very good, having a picture of a hand holding hunting knife... not painting the correct picture i think :wink: ..)

The blade is more like 9 inches... and the damage is about 2 inches long in total on the curve of the blade,... now looks a little like a bow saw. about 2-3mm from the edge into the angled part on the blade which is about 12mm in total.
Looks like it could be grinded down and still be used for its intended purpose.
just need some time now to get around to it.

RE: cost.... well i bought it when i was about 13 and didnt really appreciate the idea thet quality things will last alot longer... and it looked like a knife i saw in "hamburger hill".

James.

dawallace45

Know this is a bit late , never saw this post when it first come through , not quite to topic but for cutting twigs and brush for game hides and shelters I use a folding pruning saw and pruning shears , I carry them in my day pack , light and easy to use and quite , been using them for over 25 years , saw a program recently that reckoned that snipers carry them for the same use , could be bulls#$&t but they have been handy for me

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I carried a pair of pruning shears when hunting in the cactus and mesquite of South Texas. Very handy when all the trees and brush have spines or thorns. Not many trees big enough to climb in, so I made a lot of ground blinds with those shears.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I never carried shears. It makes punji sticks when you cut off a bush. Then, I'd need curare. Folding pruning saws are cheaper, lighter, and more versatile than those expensive buck saws you assemble.