Lafitte skiff | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lafitte skiff

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend ticker,

I bet I caint lift that one 'n chunk it up on top of my pickup. Reckon it weighs az much az the Pinta? Santa Marie? Madonna? What do ya reckon the fella who shelled out the dough fer this one will do with it?

regards
bearridge
bodine nautikle society

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
He lives on the intercoastal waterway in Lafitte, LA so he has access to a lot of water. He has a very large covered dock and will have this boat on a power lift.

Anyway back to the story..........

Here it is with just a couple of bottom boards left to be installed

11.jpg

add a little trim, some functional, some decorative

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

trim4.jpg

trim6.jpg

sure is a lot easier to talk about it than it was to build it :) :)

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
shops are never big enough, i built one last year that is bigger than my old one but it's too small already. I have to add on to have space for blacksmithing stuff

The shop in the pictures isn't really a shop, it's a garage. The man that showed us how to build the skiff is a retired third generation or so boat builder living on Bayou Lafourche in south LA. Note the white shrimp boots next to the steps in the next to last pic in the last post. When he retired, his son and grandkids took over his old shop. Friend Keith convinced him to "unretire" just long enough to show us how to build the skiff.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Reckon Keith kin talk him inta a pichur of him 'n hiz pals out on the water in that fine boat? I love ta see folks enjoyin' a boat on the water. Sounds like a trip report with pichurs would be mitey special.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks guys

we all playing, what our toys look like doesn't matter as much as the fact thast we're all having fun

back to the story,

With the hull finished we turn it over and friend Keith puts some shiney on it

Dec29007.jpg

Then it's flipped back over again to put in the floor boards -flipping took about six people

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

floor goes in next

IMG_0291.jpg

then the frame for the cabin

IMG_0513.jpg

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
t

I-49 to I-20 west to !-220. Exit 2 turn left to South Lakeshore Dr.

Just un-hook and leave it in the driveway. I'll send a check [rubber] if and when I get around to it.

Oh, by the way. Don't forget to stop off and pick up a 200 hp Yamaha before you deliver it.

Beautifull work.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Watching the pictures as seedtick has been posting them , my arms are sore from just thinking about all the sanding they did on the boat. :wink:

a Bald Cypress ...
You better make that check a large one , just to cover there cost of the sandpaper. By the way .. I was thinking they might want to cover there expenses by raffling it off here on southernpaddler , Motor optional.
Being the nice guy that I am ...... I will hold the money by investing it for them . ( anyone know what a plane ticket to Belize costs and are any homes down there for sale.) :oops:

Chuck.
Packing my bags and fishing gear for Belize , Belize does not extradite folks do they ?

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
swamprat said:
Wow once again! I am just speechless. Incredible work!
Yup! What swamprat said! You two guys continually amaze me. If I lived a lot closer, I'd be begging you for an apprenticeship.

Please keep the pictures and narrative coming.

Mike

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Texas ain't that far away, unless you live in El Paso :D :D

If you're around Houston you can come by for a day trip.

Most folks (including our wives) can't tolerate friend Keith and I more than a couple of hours anyway

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
seedtick said:
Most folks (including our wives) can't tolerate friend Keith and I more than a couple of hours anyway
Well, ya'll aint reglar folks. I figger most folks likely aint never seen nuthin' like ya'll 'n jest dont know exactly what ta think. Sometimes I dont know what I think......well, bout half the time. :wink:

Before I met the Southern Paddlers, I had a good job 'n knew what I wuz thinkin' bout 10-15%. I better go read the disclaimer down at the bottom. Ole Spare Key mite not have warned folks good enuff. Failin' ta warn iz a eazy way inta anuther fella's pocket book. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I'm readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I will in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials - after the fact. Robert E. Lee

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Before I met the Southern Paddlers, I had a good job 'n knew what I wuz thinkin' bout 10-15%. I better go read the disclaimer down at the bottom. Ole Spare Key mite not have warned folks good enuff. Failin' ta warn iz a eazy way inta anuther fella's pocket book. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Golly Bear ...
I did not know you liked to collect pocket lint. On a good day you might find a few gum wrapers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Well now Bear, I always thought i was pretty reglar but i never figgered out what most folks was ever thinking. Why 36 years ago when i announced my intentions to marry, everybody congratulated me and no one congratulated my blushing bride.

To this day most folks just shake their head and say, "poor Darla"

Go figger.