Lafitte skiff | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lafitte skiff

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
seedtick said:
Most folks (including our wives) can't tolerate friend Keith and I more than a couple of hours anyway
While this is, in general, understandable, I, by gritting my teeth and squinting, was able to hang around you guys for most of an afternoon.

(That damnable Piper San, though .....)

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
finally pulled it out and sent it to its new home

Gustav and Ike kept it under wraps for about three weeks

here's friend Keith, the new owner and me

sept262008016.jpg

Here it is going out my driveway

sept262008017.jpg

and the warranty just expired :D :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Recycling the wood - which could have been wasted otherwise - has to be a good feeling in and of itself. Making a thing of beauty that also has practical and recreational value, is even more so. That old wood is precious.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Guys ive worked in louisiana offshore for around ten years. Ive seen countless Skiffs in my day but this is the most beautiful boat ive ever seen. That is truly a work of art. Kudos. Id love to see that in person. Where is the boat now? Is it a working boat. As in running trap lines ect.?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks for the compliments

ironically, it ended up in Lafitte, LA where the first Lafitte Skiff was ever built. I just hope that Emile Dufrene - the father of the Lafitte Skiff -would be pleased with this version.

It's not a work boat, we added the cabin so the owner could comfortably spend the night on it. It sports a toilet, air conditioner, generator and bed.

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Great boat and job building it. There was a fella down here in Tampa Bay that had a 24-25 footer (fiberglass) he used for charter fishing back in the 1980's, and I've been impressed with those hulls ever since. How small did they make them, were there 14 - 16 foot versions made with the same basic lines, (flare, etc.)? I would guess the net table in the stern wouldn't be very big if there at all, because of trim issues, but it looks like it would be a cool Micro-Skiff. I figured you you guys would know if it was feasible to make a smaller one. Thanks, and again, great job.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I don't know of any that were that small. Remember they were originally designed to be shrimp boats, so scaling one down to half size would get you below critical mass or critical size for shrimping. The short length would not breach the wave interval so there would be a lot of up and down in light seas. The fantail would shrink down to a non-functional size and by the time you put in a small deck, picking table, ice chest, gas tanks, steering console, etc. there just wouldn't be much room in the cockpit. KInda like the early wooden runabouts back when a 35Hp was a big outboard - not much room on the cockpit.

On the other hand, if you're just after taking a couple of folks out for a ride in a boat that doesn't look like it came from a factory - likely the only one of its kind- this woud be the one. Just be ready to spend an hour or so putting it in and taking it out, cause you're going to talk to everyone at the landing, every time you're there :D

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
LOL! seedtick, thats so true about the boat ramp banter. But bunches of strip planked hulls have been buit in the teens range and continue to be built as long as people are willing to pay for them. First thing that folks need to do is to give up their notion of comparing prices to fiberglass sleds thats on every street corner these days. There are several builders quietly going about their days providing small craft even though the market is tough. They are still scratching out hulls one at a time for anyone interested, right Tick?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
you're right Oyster,

and you probably have more experience building those size boats with similar design to a Lafitte skiff than anybody i know

Don't know if the Captain is looking for a builder, a set of plans or just thinking out loud

i've been thinking about a launch with a round stern and a steam engine for several years.............but that's as far as i'll get

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I fully understand the apples and oranges aspect comparing fiberglass and wooden boats, and I tend to let my imagination and my mouth overload my ass pocket. I finished my little row/paddle boat, and am kinda day dreaming about a future build. I am really taken by the lines of the Lafitte Skiff and the "Carolina" boats with their pretty flair, just wondering if they work in the size my budget can stand. Sorry to take this thread the wrong direction. Thanks for the replies though. "Plans? We don't need no stinking plans"....do we?

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Thinking is one thing, The next step is thinking out loud sir. You are at strike two my dear friend. :lol: :lol: So how is the dry stock of wood holding up? :p