lethality of the .22 rimfire. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

lethality of the .22 rimfire.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Wannabe said:
Here ya go Jack, If you need more info it is available. This is just one of many. http://countryboyartillery.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=67
This is interesting,Bob, but he didn't have much left of a Ruger 10/22. Receiver was all that was left! I was surprised by that. I'm not sure why he had a totally different stock, unless it fit his shoulder and arm measurements better?

The barrel is interesting too. I have a Bausch & Lombe 2 1/2 - 8 power scope that would be a good one for the gun.

dawallace45

I've got to admit that I'm a big fan of the 10/22 , well the heavily modified ones any way , I had one years ago , stock standard and it was crap , not all that accurate , the trigger was crap and the stock was suited to a midget and certainly not to some one 6'2" so I sold it , that was before the after market bits and pieces were available , since then I had the pleasure of shooting a number of heavily modified 10/22's and I have to say the single most accurate 22 I've ever shot was one of these , of course it had a different barrel , stock and trigger group , pretty much the only standard item was the receiver housing but that particular rifle was amazing and a pleasure to shoot .

Now what I want to know is WHY THE BLOODY HELL DIDN'T RUGER EVER OFFER A MODEL LIKE THAT THEM SELVES INSTEAD OF PEOPLE HAVING TO BUY THE BLOODY GUN AND THROW AWAY MOST OF THE PARTS , SHEAR BLOODY STUPIDITY

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
dawallace45 said:
<SNIP> Now what I want to know is WHY THE BLOODY HELL DIDN'T RUGER EVER OFFER A MODEL LIKE THAT THEM SELVES INSTEAD OF PEOPLE HAVING TO BUY THE BLOODY GUN AND THROW AWAY MOST OF THE PARTS , SHEAR BLOODY STUPIDITY
BINGO! And, I'd always had a lot of respect for Ruger, but they somehow managed to step on their foreskin with the 10/22.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Ruger manufactures for their target market. The vast majority of folks - like me for instance - just want to hit squirrels and beer cans. If Ruger tricked out the 10/22 for the few folks that want to shoot a quarter at 100 yards, it would cost almost $1000 and their major market would be buying the $200 remingtons, marlins, etc.

Major rule of business is to make money - folks that don't make money don't stay in business regardless of the quality of their product

While I don't travel in target shooting circles, you're the first person i ever heard of that had that much trouble with the 10/22

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
While I don't travel in target shooting circles, you're the first person i ever heard of that had that much trouble with the 10/22

I was going to stay out of this discussion but add me to that list of folks that don't care for a 10-22. Don't get me wrong , I like the Ruger firearms , they do make a good firearm.
Don't know if I got a lemon or if it is normal with the 10-22 but the 200 ( Bicentennial ) anniversary one I had was not to my liking. Even with a scope on it , it was a hit and miss when firing it , the trigger pull was something awful. Needless to say it is not here anymore. If I wanted another short , easy to carry 22 semi auto it would be one of the Borrowing semi auto 22's. Heck they even break down for easy transport.
The Winchesters , Remington's and the Marlins I have are spot on with a light trigger pull and fun to shoot.

dawallace45

Ruger already make about 5 main versions of the 10/22 and a whole pile of dealer exclusives as well and from what I hear from the people I talk to the tactical version is about the best but they still don't compare to the best of the ones made from the aftermarket providers , now if we take the tactical version with the bull barrel and the hogue stock we are looking at a list price of $550 while the standard tactical version is $316 and comes with a plastic stock and a light weight barrel , some people tell me that the only thing that lets the Hogue stock and bull barrel model down is the trigger which is much better than the standard one but still not as good as many of the aftermarket versions , when you build up a aftermarket 10/22 then all you use from ruger is the receiver and it's the same for Ruger if they make up a target version , it shouldn't cost them any where near $1000 to make one as good as the aftermarket ones , hell they should be able to do it for about the same as the $550 Tactical as they are almost there now , not that it would do me any good as it's a semi auto and banned here in Australia ,

A mate in the USA recently told me that he's made up his own aftermarket 10/22 , he bought a gun with a buggered barrel and bought a
Bell and Carlson Anschutz-Style stock for about $180 , a 1.5 lb let off trigger group for about $200 and a match grade barrel for about $250 and fitted a legal silencer to it , yes it's a expensive set up but from the pictures of the groups he sent me I'd say it's worth it for him , he definitely thinks so as he reckons it out shoots his target anschutz , would it be worth it for me , no it wouldn't , but if it were available here I would consider buying the $550 tactical even though the stock is still a little short for me

David