Lifetime Dream Trip

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Here is a map of the river from start to finish

scan0001.jpg

I will start from as close to Graham Tx as I can depending on water flow
Posting gps coordinates of put in take out plus conditions there
We are trying to rig up a map that shows the section we are on in detail and a larger map where you can check on each section description.
As you can see Waco is about 1/2 way
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Brazos

friend Ron,
I don't know just when Mr. Google did his flyover of the Brazos. But, from looking at it, there is some MIGHTY SKINNEY water between Graham and the Western side of Fort Worth.

Were I you, I would be sure to add another layer of epoxy&graphite to the hull.

Also when leaving Graham, be real carefull at the first. Seams like it would be mighty easy to head west instead of SE like you want.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Cypress
That's the reason for the three boats if the hot air perow won't float your walking and that i why I built her for the skinny sections.
And I know I make a lot of noise about wind but the Brazos is so crooked that you will be bucking a headwind anytime the winds blowing. I know of one place here that you are going down river and in 5 miles you will be headed south , west ,
east , and north. The wind between the wide sections and and high banks can be like a wind tunnel.
Doing the upper part in stages was for several reasons and water flow is one of them, when I get ready if its to low in one area I can try another one.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am going to start posting equipment list any suggestions are welcome
I will post about three list so bear with me.

Brazos river trip list
Ice chest, gets hot in TX
Water Jugs ,some jugs frozen
Coffee Pot @ cup
Grill ,folding
Fishing Tackle
Tackle box
Tent
Cot, Small backpacking
Sleeping bag
Pillow
Sheet, again its hot here
Lantern ,propane
Stove, single burner Propane
Flashlights 2 both LEDS
Machete Ontario knife co 22
Shovel folding
Propane
Tarp
100 ft 5/16 rope
Hatchet with hammer face
Small skillet and pot stainles
Duck tape
These items will go every trip
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Electronics

Gps
Compass I know but they always work
Radio with weather band
Cell phone
Extra batteries for everything
Digital camera

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
More Gear
Fire starter
Package of propane lighters
Sunglasses regular glasses
Meds
First aid kit
Pocket knife
Sheath knife on pfd
Metal fork spoon
Leather man
Trash bags
Quart baggies
Alum Foil
Toilet articles
Paper plates and bowls
Insect repellent
Extra paddle
Watch
Ballpoints and journal

Basically this is what I carried on my last trip It worked well and I was very comfortable, I am sure this list will change as I make more trips
Ron
Gearing up

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

Why the lantern? Why the hatchet 'n the big knife too? I figger ya tote a fillet knife in the tackle box 'n a whittlin' knife in yer pocket. If I dont make it, I will be there in spirit.....ever time ya build a campfire. If ya run upon a fella in a red whitewater boat.....give him a howdy 'n a cup a java. That iz all that cowboy iz likely ta git. :wink:

Next post I will tell all the stuff I tote, so ya kin ask why? :wink:

regards
bearridge

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.  unknown

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
The Lantern I carry for several reasons if I happen to run late I have good light to set camp up , cold weather it sure warms a tent up quick just crack a window sit back and read are whatever.

The hatchet is more of a hammer to drive stakes and the like in but it does have a sharp working edge if I need it. The Machete from Ontario Knife Co cuts like an axe is light and takes up no room if you have never used this brand they are awesome you also have to remember I will mainly be camping on sand bars and gravel bars so extra poles for tarps wind breaks can be cut easily from the willows around.

The sheath knife on my pfd goes everywhere I go it isn't a big knife about 6 inches over all , not expensive but an old friend . My dad sent it to me in Nam I carried it for two years there we have ate a lot of meals together, and seen a lot of things together.
And I love knives
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear the watch is for a couple things one is knowing when to start looking for a camping spot the second is a contact time with folks backing me up and take out times
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Trip

Friend Ron,

After looking at your list of things to carry. I see one BIG item missing.

To be fully ready for any trip one needs FOOD.

And even more than food, one needs [
DUCT TAPE].

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bald Cypress
Dang I had the duck tape on the list when I retyped it left it of . Thanks
Because the trips will be different lengths the food will very as I select the runs I will post the menus .
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

This iz gittin' good.....dang good. I may not be there, but I will be on this trip :D

regards
bearridge
12th man

ps I read that wind iz the worst truble on the Brazos....that if ya stop paddlin', often ya go back where ya been. We all know that when paddlin', the wind iz ALWAYS in yer face.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. Andrew Jackson

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I bought me another paddle today. The paddle I have been using is a cheap 20.00 academy paddle its a 220 length. I have read everything I could find about paddles and it comes up clear as mud seems to be there is no fast hard set rules on yak paddles, I had tried a 230 felt pretty good then a friend had a 240 that realy felt good but maybe a hair long so being the red neck Texan I am here's what I did.
found an Advanced tecknolagy paddle and bought it . Its light has one side that is oblong on the shaft for control glass blades and the thing that finally sold me on it was the fact it can be extended 5 cm so I bought a 230cm and can strech it to 235 . We will see how it works.

IM001778.jpg

IM001779.jpg

IM001781.jpg

IM001780.jpg

Ron

islandpiper

Speaking of duct tape: there was a wedding photographer i used to work with on occasion who carried a short handled fork and spoon, with severa feet of duct tape carefully spooled onto the handle ends, and the last turn had two safety pins in it. That way he could always grab a bit to eat at the reception, create a corsage for the bridesmaid who was left out, repair dress/suit failures, etc....probably not a bad tool combination to have in the boat or car.

And, have you tried the new BLACK color GORILLA TAPE? wow.....strong and extra sticky.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Perhaps a small fibreglass repair kit might be a good idea but I can think of nothing else you might need.

Are you planning on over-nighters with the Laker? you have a LOT of stuff to fit into a small kayak.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
That repair kit will go along on the trip .
Most of my gear is backpack gear so its light and the heaviest thing will be the cooler and I will have to use a small one when I am using the laker
this weekend I will make at least a trial run with the laker loaded.
Thanks for the advice
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Canoe & Kayak had a discussion on fiber glass repair kits. Pretty tough to beat a hole into one of these hulls. Crunch a section maybe, but a hole is exceedingly unlikely. Duct tape suffices for me and even then, I hardly ever have a use for it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I paddled about 16 miles today playing with the Laker , half that upstream
I LOVE THIS NEW PADDLE
In the wind you could extend the length and use a low stroke move right along and in just normal conditions at 230 cm it paddles great.
Ron