Lifetime Dream Trip | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Lifetime Dream Trip

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron, road maps going into mail tomorrow morning. Compare them point by point with the topos. Shows same territory form different perspectives.

As Arde Johnson would say, "Innngter-esting. Vedddy ingteresting!"

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I got the hatches finished on my Laker today and packed it
Mick I can pack everything for a two or three day trip in her
and all in the hatches
haven't paddled her loaded that heavy but the storage is there.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Tomorrows the day.
starting tomorrow on the trip down the Brazos finaly
The weather is supposed to be pretty good low 50's at night 70 in daytime maybe a little shower or two.
The river is very low and clear so I am going to take the hot air perow on this leg. I will start right below Waco at the loop 340 bridge and take out approximately 36 miles down river at the highway 7 bridge. The forecast has sw winds at 10 to 20 so we will be doing a lot of wind bucking. I will take pics and gps coordinates and descriptions on put in take out points.

I am going to get a late start but it will be worth it my granddaughter is coming by to get her new yak (the bumble bee) and we are going out to a private lake for her to paddle it before I leave , A late start but a good one.

Wish some of you guys were here to do this with me will be solo on this first leg.
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
trip

Just be sure to spend ALL the time needed with the Granddaughter.Your trip can be delayed by a day with no problems.

Just be sure to take more pics. than you think you need to for those of us who are on the trip with you, even tho we are at a computer rather than a boat.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Yep spend the time you can with your grand-daughter mate. give her a hug for hairy too. :D

Mate, I wish like heck I was doing this with you. ( I am certain many others do too.) Good luck - and take care mate.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
My trip got changed up a little but was well worth it.

IM001840.jpg

that smile says it all

IM001834.jpg

I posted the report on the afternoon under the Bumble bee build.
Tommorow will start paddling so I report back in a couple of days.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Yipeeeeeeeeee
I got started today after the delay it had to just be a day trip but it is a start. A friend of mine owns some land about half way to Waco from Marlin this is where I put in.nice sandbar.
IM001853.jpg

Also you can see I am in the Laker since it was just a day trip and to get down to that sandbar ment a long carry.
and off we went.
IM001855.jpg

Birds were every where kildees on every bar saw a few ducks and water turkeys by the hundreds here a couple on a snag
IM001860.jpg

A lot of turtles and I noticed a limb could be covered in turtles and one of the water turkey would be perched right in the middle of them. Saw one kingfisher first one I have seen in a long time several grey herons and one ole rusty cotton mouth (cut him plenty room)
As I was paddling I noticed a couple small hogs jumping around on the bank I couldn't figure out what they were doing as I tried to get close enough for a pic they ran so I paddled to the spot on the bank and saw this

IM001861.jpg

IM001862.jpg

They were taking a mud bath . Mud was still running down the sides . In the second pic you can see another wallow above and to the right of this one looks like they were using it when the water was higher.
Paddled on down to another sand bar and took a break had me a little snack and rested my backside.

IM001864.jpg

The river was extremely low so got into some rapids

IM001866.jpg

and a little farther down a pretty good set about a mile long

IM001870.jpg

IM001871.jpg

a couple miles on down the river hit a old local landmark called the car bodies , It is a place they hung ole cars by cables down the bank to stop erosion guess it worked this bank has moved very little in 30 years

IM001875.jpg

IM001874.jpg

There is a local legend that there use to be an old catfish that weighed 145 lbs that hung around there anytime some one would hook him he would just swim into one of those cars and shut the door they never did land him

This glass boat didn't fare to well in the high water this summer.

IM001879.jpg

Another mile and I was at the take out . Was sorry to have to stop.
20 miles averaged better than 3.5 an hour and playing in swift water got the Laker up to 7.5 once I like this little boat
Well thats the first leg of my Brazos trip but it was worth it to get to see my granddaughter with her yak yesterday.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
It rained pretty heavy Saturday night but was clear Sunday wind was blowing but not to high and temp was in low 70's.
Was a realy good paddling day.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Great report! Nice pics, too. One of the best parts of a trip like this is seeing unusual and interesting things. Like I tell my wife all of the time, every time I'm in the outdoors I see something unusual or something I've never seen before. Later Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Ron,

How did you find the Laker performed in those rapids mate?

I have paddled dedicated surf boats that haven't performed as well as my Laker. Thinking seriously of installing bulkheads and proper hatches & a spray skirt :twisted: :p :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
She did well in the rapids I have bulkheads installed my hatches worked well I think the size of my rear hatch is perfect it braces the back deck and is long enough to put longer items in. The only thing that hurt her was she sets a little deep in the water for rapids I wasn't easy on her at all and she did everything I ask.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

Reckon ya oughta put Pt. 2 in a new thread? BTW, when iz Pt. 2?

regards
bearridge

He was a wise man who originated the idea of gods. Euripedes

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear
I sort of got slowed down by the weather and a couple other factors like building the tv but we still be on go. If I need to split this Chuck let me know.
Ron