Make America Great Again | SouthernPaddler.com

Make America Great Again

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
At the risk of starting a hot, political argument, (please, let's not) I pass along a couple of observations. In May, I sent away for a bright, red cap that proclaims, "Make America Great Again". Maybe others have one too? I wear it about half of the time, and different caps the rest of the time. Every time I wear it, I receive positive comments about the cap. (Notably, no one gives ME positive compliments, just the cap. sigh)

Most people say, "I like your cap." Now, many of them are older folks, of both genders. Three were teen aged girls! They surprised me. So far, the only negative reaction that I think I received was from a passing driver on the freeway, who appeared to be raising his hand in a lewd gesture as he went by.

The overwhelming ratio of agreement has been a pleasant surprise. So far, though, I haven't worn it in either Ann Arbor, Michigan, or San Francisco, California.

Reactions: ggraham

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack... I see those hats all around this area with positive comments and thumbs up responces. A guy one street over took down his American Flag and ran a flag up the pole replacing it. That flag is supporting the same person as the hats do. Also see quite a few shirts supporting the same person on both the front and back of the shirt. The last one I saw a friend of mine was warning it at the local McDonald's when I stopped for a sausage biscuit and a cup of coffee. I asked him to join me and I got both of us what I call a breakfast snack since it was mid morning. :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well then, there's that.
Note to self: add horseradish to this fella's grits.

Need any Horseradish ? I just returned from the store with a brand new bottle of it.
Going to make my own cocktail sauce to go with the shrimp I fixed ( boiled ) this morning. The Three "C's ) Cleaned , Cooked and Cooled . They are in the frig for supper tonight. A shrimp cocktail on a bed of crisp lettuce along with Baked beans and Potato salad.
Almost forgot about the loaf of fresh Tuscany Roasted Garlic Bread to pust everything around on the plate. That I cheated with and got from the grocery stores bakery , today.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yeah, those gree-itz would be an eye opener!

I have skme horseradish already. Was going to order fresh shrimp, but haven't yet. I can contact the shrimp guy, and pick them up tomorrow morning. They're fresh, still alive right now. But, by tomorrow at 10:00, they're shelled and veined. Sweet meat.

I make cocktail sauce with horseradish, ketchup, lemon or lime juice, and fresh garlic. We get 2 1/2 pounds of shrimp. JARVIS good eatin!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I make cocktail sauce with horseradish, ketchup, lemon or lime juice, and fresh garlic. We get 2 1/2 pounds of shrimp. JARVIS good eatin!

At night we would go shrimping over at the Indian River, Dipping them with a long handled net as they swam into the lanterns circle of light. ( side benefit , fresh Blue Crabs ) Then it was home , clean and de-veined the shrimp and in the frig. On good night we cold get a 5 gallon bucket full back in the late 60's. Now I use a Green and Gray net ( Good old fashion Cash ). Thinking back it always seamed like the best shrimp runs were either on cold , windy or rainy nights. Never on a decent night when you could enjoy being out there.

Yep , Ketchup , Horseradish and then a little Lemon Juice ( Fresh ) After you add that lemon juice it kicks everything up a few notches and continues to as long as it sits there. Darn tasty chemical reaction with the horseradish.
Those little power packed Key West limes also do a darn good job. The garlic is in the bread , lots of it. They have slices of fresh garlic baked in the bread. :cool:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, we've nicely avoided any political stuff (thanks, everybody), and morphed into foods. I like that.

Tonight, salmon (steelhead?) out of Lake Michigan (no salt, no sharks), Waldorf salad, and white zin. Tomorrow morning - THE RIFLEMAN!!

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Back in the '70s when I had my boat we used a 20' sport trawl for shrimp. I loved just sitting back with a cold one while we pulled that net. The best part was seeing what you caught when the net came in. There was no telling what you might have, shrimp, crabs, flounder, sting rays and all sorts of assorted junk that had been dumped in the water. Thinking about it, that was the second best part. The best part was taking the fresh catch back to the beach house and cooking it less than an hour after catching it. Being that fresh is a total different taste from what you buy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The spot we liked was a cross roads of rivers about 40 feet wide. We would anchor bout 15 feet from the one bank and with a anchor out into the river to hold the boat across that area. During the tide change the current would make the intersection boil up and roll back on itself. Any shrimp or crab coming along got pushed to the surface for some easy netting.
The nets were a real fine mesh and about 3 feet across the hoop and about 4 feet long with a ballooned pocket at the end. The shrimp ended up in that pocket so they could not jump out and you did not have to empty it when the run was going really good. Leave that pocket in the water and dip away when you saw more shrimp. When it got full then swing it around invert the net over the ice chest dumping everything out. Go back and get more.
We were in a 16 foot boat so we had to be careful when netting , especially when emptying them , those handles were almost as long as the boat. The real fun was on Pontoon boats , those things are floating docks.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Wear the hat with positive results in my local area. Tall flag pole with US flag in front forty acres.. shorter flag pole with Trump 2020 on side 40 acres. I just Don was stronger on the 2A issue. He should of not made an issue of bump stocks. Don’t give Demoncrats an inch.... EVER!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
JIM!!! Gid to hear from you again!!

The hat continues gathering compliments, well wishes, and handshakes. Folks are a slice from right down through the cross-section of American society. Quite heartening.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yah.... I have had a lot on my plate for a few years. Family, health, etc. I hope to stick my nose back in here a little more often. I have met, camped, and paddled with some first class geezers on this forum. Sparky helped me build a pirouge, you taught me the finer art of Walmart camping whist traveling. I have nothing but fond memories of geezers on this forum. Good times gone but not forgotten. Yes sir... most of ya are salt of the earth.