Manufacturer Identification Code | SouthernPaddler.com

Manufacturer Identification Code

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I know this has been brought up before, and some folks don't believe this exists :D :D

but it looks like the Coast Guard has some spare time on there hands

here's a C&P from another boat forum member who thought he was flying under the radar

"Hey ya'll,

Got a call in past few weeks ago.. from USCG.

Nothin' serious thou.. I wasn't aware of MIC.. Ooop!
Since I build only small numbers of boats, I didn't think MIC is needed..
No matter if it a backyard one shot jobber, or multiple production.. Even if it been built one day and burned the next day...

Well, from now on.. MIC is a must, it free.. Apply for it from USCG.

Gonna send my application in Monday...

Anybody else done or have experience with this? "

lil'moe

Jan 8, 2009
Lapland, IA
In the land of tall corn-Iowa- you have to register any boat over 13' long to put it on public waters. Part of the process is an HIN (hull id #) that is issed by the state. This # tells the Manufacturer, a serial # and the date it was started. It is to be a metal tag attached to the left outsise of the transom, or carved, or burned into the boat so it is obvious if it is removed. Another cse of big brothers eye on us. If a boat is less than 13' long, non-power, and non-sail, registration is not required. Such is life!

JEM

If you're building for retails sales, you have to have a MIC. Building a boat for yourself generally doesn't require one. Building and giving them away is a bit of a gray area.

Registering your boat is a different animal. Like the difference between manufacturing a car or just owning one and registering it each year.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
So far here in the land of Heat , Humidity and Hurricanes you have to register a paddle craft if you have any form of mechanical power on it.

As they put it........ " If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be registered and titled."
Exceptions are ... Canoes , Kayaks , Racing Shells , Rowing Sculls regardless of there length as long as they are not motorized.

My understanding is..........
As far as a home made boat for personal use and not needing to be registered does not need a ID Number , BUT.... An ID Number and certificate or origin is required to register a boat along with proof of the sales tax being paid if you want to add a motor to it.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
If you make even one boat and sell it, you're a manufacturer

heck if you make a boat kit and sell it, you're a manufacturuer

Of course i guess for the small or backyard builder, compliance is kind of like Democratic nominees for cabinet posts and income taxes, you don't claim it until they catch you and then you can claim you didn't know :D

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
I did a bunch of research on this way back last century. A long thread on the baidarka list is here: http://robroy.dyndns.info/baidarka/1998/Jul/0033.html

Bottom line is the Coast Guard can ticket you or take your boat if you don't have a Hull ID. It probably won't happen, but it could under the law.

Some states are pains about giving you one if you have a small craft that doesn't get a state ID #. Georgia used to be one of those, but I understand it's easier now. For my first boats, I had to get the Coast Guard to issue the HIN to me. Now I just call the boater registration folks in Social Circle and they'll help ya out - keep asking if they give you any kind of runaround.

Now, if you never leave your state, and aren't ever near the jurisdiction of the coast guard, you could probably have such a small chance of even getting asked that it'd never matter. I like to travel, and like salt water, and get checked for 'bout any kind of permit there ever was, so tend to think it's important.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I recently had the joy :roll: of getting a Hull ID # for my boat. The Louisiana W & F Enforcement Divison does this. Had to apply (pay $), make appointment and take boat and all receipts for materials( verification that the taxes were paid) for an inspection. The Hull ID# was required so I could get (pay $) a Louisiana Registration Number required to use a motor (even electric trolling motor). Must say the agents at the Minden District Office made it painless, and are very professional and courteous.

seedtick is this the same number your talking about? I believe the (La.) information I had indicated it was required if you intended to use a motor. It may not have meant it was not needed without a motor. :? How does the Coast Guard issue numbers?

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Hull ID - HIN- and Manufacturer code - MIC - are not the same although they are usually part of the same string of alpha numeric characters

What you went thru is for the state - required for registration, which is not required for all boats

MIC is a federal (coast guard) requirement set up to identify the manufacturer should there ever be a problem with the boat, regardless of whether or not it's registered

it's easy to become a manufacturer,
MIC applies if you sell a boat ( yes a, as in one boat - according to the CG person that visited friend Keith) or sell a kit for a boat

poke around here for more info
http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html