MAPS.... On the Computer | SouthernPaddler.com

MAPS.... On the Computer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Two web sites to let you see any area you want.

The first is called Terrafly.com. It's very easy to use. Simply type in the address you want to see from the air. Just for fun, I choose one Magic Kingdom Drive in Orlando.

Here on the top you can zoom in or out on the image. Just point and click and wait. You need to be patient as it changes resolutions. I guess that's a parking lot behind a building.
This one on Google is the NUT'S....... When you get the area you want then just click on it and holding the mouse down you can follow a river , road or anything. I tried the satalitle view and managed to get a fly over of the Econ River and the surrounding area. :D

Here's another site on Google. Select the word "more". Then under the first column select maps. Hold down the left click on Florida and pull it to the center of the screen.

Now start zooming here refine your searching each time with a left click drag to center. We are over the Bay Area.

You've got three options. Map or a satellite view or a hybrid view with words superimposed over streets.

Check them out at www.terrafly.com or www.google.com

When checking out the Google map I located my place to see how big the house would be on there map and then when looking at the Econ I was able to check on sand bars for camping and get an idea about the size of them.
With a zerox copy of a river map a person could mark the approximate locations of camping areas on that map for a river they have never paddled before. This way you would have a working knowledge of the river and where the good spots for camping are, it would take a lot of the guess work out of a trip.
Lets ..see... we are here and there is a good area three more bends down river........ :D

Chuck.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
If you have a relatively fast computer, while you are at the google site see if you can find the "Google Earth" product. You have to download and install it but it is incredible. It is what ABC news has been using lately to display satellite images for the hurricane coverage. Great fun to play with. I typed in my address and it zoomed into my next door neighbor's but that is pretty darn close.