Massasauga Provincial Park | SouthernPaddler.com

Massasauga Provincial Park

mary

Oct 1, 2003
Mississauga Ontario
Hi everyone, here is our trip report on Massasauga Provincial Park
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/mass.html
July 16th – 17th 2010.
This was our first time out on the boats, our first time paddling to a campsite (NO CAR!), our first time where no one else was around us, and our first time camping with just the two of us… no friends.
It was awesome. :)

Well I am happy to say we made it out to the campsite RIGHT before sunset Friday after work. (July 16th)
After hitting up Pete’s Place to pay and get our permit the kid working there told us to go into the Woods Bay Marina to save about 45min off our paddling time so we can make it to the campsite before dark.

Once we got to Woods Bay Marina Neil ran in to pay while I started to set up the boats all the all the stuff we were going to have to take with us. (1 pirogue and 1 kayak)
Poor Neil took almost all the heavy stuff since he had the pirogue and was the fastest and easiest to pack-up.
We started to paddle and Neil told me we had to go northwest. I asked “which way is north west” Neil looks at me and says “Well Bear Grylls says you take you watch and then something something is north.” After a good laugh Neil pulled out our GPS and we were on our way (good thing to because we were going the wrong way)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

About half way there we had to start encouraging each other because the wind was HARD to paddle through and all the speedboats. (And I had a huge blister that had ripped on my right hand)
Now remember we don’t paddle. This is our first time and it was 4.2k to our campsite and we were RUSHING to beat the sunset.

Here is my awesome blister.
4849468788_12a68cf0e7.jpg

Once we hit the channel it was nice and we made really great time and then the second huge lake that our campsite was off of. When we saw our campsite I don’t think either of us have ever been happier.

You can see the sun setting behind me
4849470384_f91935bb24.jpg

We get docked and start to unload the boats.

The boats
4848849903_097203b87a.jpg

Once again Neil quoted Bear at me he said, “Bear Grylls says shelter is the most important thing, then fire and food.”
So we got the tent up in five minutes, which was a record for us. Considering it was a new tent dad gave us we had never put up before it was an impressive record AND an easy to put up tent.

Picture of the tent taken the next morning
4848848491_6d18f54600.jpg

After that we got all the fire making stuff ready. GOOD THING we had that fire gel cause the wood got wet on the paddle out. Neil got a pretty good-sized fire going right as the sun was setting. We relaxed for a bit enjoyed the fire, hot dogs and a beer. Went out on the huge rocks to lie down and lookup at the stars. In Toronto there is SO MUCH light pollution it’s a miracle we can even see the moon. So to be able to see the Big and Little Dipper, Seven Sisters and even the Milky Way was a real treat.
Then we packed up everything that had food or was touched with food or even scented in the bag (and the cooler) and put it up in the tree. This was another thing that had us laughing pretty hard trying to figure out how to the hell to get this 50lb bag pulled up into the tree high enough a bear can not get it. Once that was done we both felt pretty good about ourselves and Neil was feeling pretty damn manly. (And he should of!)

No bears!(picture taken Sat morning)
4849470526_1ebd30aa42.jpg

That night we heard raccoons trying to figure out how to get to the food (they didn’t) and we got a bit of rain. Happy to say the tent didn’t get wet inside which was a nice change for us.
Sat morning we got up, got the fire started and figure food is a good idea. Neil takes the bagged cooler down forgetting its tension tied up and it crashed to the rocks below. Neil looks at me and goes “oh crap I wonder how the eggs are…” We open it up and they were scrambled for us. (Had a good laugh about that too)

Sad broken Eggs
4849470606_efdd1c58bb.jpg

But Neil, not letting our crushed eggs bring him down, picks out most of the shell and gets it ready to go on the fire.

YAY breakfast!
4849470648_44ca0d4a55.jpg

We even had water boiling for coffee. YAY!
I looked up the weather for Parry Sound on my iPhone and it called for thunderstorms Sunday all day so we decided to enjoy Sat and leave around 4pm (paddling and thunderstorms do not mix well together or so my dad told me)
After breakfast we looked around for a potty for me and explored the site a little. Found this guy and was very happy with it. (After removing the spiders)

4849469818_d7131d7c34.jpg

I thought I would have to dig a hole because some of the sites have potties and some don’t. It was far enough from our camp I was yelling “NO BEAR” while I walked out to it to scare away any critters.
After that we thought we should enjoy the campsite in the daytime. It was so nice the wind was keeping all the bugs away.

Chilling on the rocks
4849470040_b0623ca43d.jpg

After taking this picture Neil even made a comment about how we are getting burned but are not aware because the wind was so cooling and nice. He was right we both got burned pretty badly on our shoulders and backs.

In Canada (at least Ontario North) there is a lot of granite and rocks. It’s very pretty and makes for some nice scenery.
The view from our camp site.
4849470784_d359017d5c.jpg

4849470570_dbf5da2400.jpg

4849467820_18f20fc586.jpg

We even took a little bit of a dip in the lake to freshen up since the weather was so perfect.

4848850187_706bb5bb4f.jpg

So here are a few of our campsite.
View from our Tent.
4848850159_5fdab38124.jpg

Neil and our fire/cooking/hanging out area.
4848848875_6957d27b84.jpg

Neil sharpening a stick for us to make hot dogs before we leave
4848847817_de2f64533f.jpg

Campfire Potatoes (wash them at home then cut them in half and cut little divots in them to put butter in. Put back together and wrap in foil. Then throw them in the fire for a few hours)
YUMMY! (I even brought cut up cheese for Neil to have on them)

4849725080_0c340c1865.jpg

After hanging out for a bit we packed up and started the trek back. This time Neil put the heavy stuff in my boat since it cuts the water better. We wanted to take our time and enjoy the paddle. HOWEVER wind and speedboats had another thing planed for us…
The lake leaving our site was hard to paddle because the wind was hitting our left side so we had to try to fight the wind and stay away from the rocks. We just wanted to make it to the channel to enjoy the calm wind and have a water break.

Rough Winds
4849160611_0c13faeb82.jpg

4849778082_b370198f93.jpg

The water was getting close to going into Neil’s boat and it was crashing over me. Good thing I had used the splash skirt this time.
Once we got to the channel and took a break.

You can see the pretty rocks.
4849778602_37e3777a57.jpg

Here we are taking our time and enjoying the lack of wind and asshole speedboats.
4849779076_417966550b.jpg

Once we got the final lake, the one the Marina was on, all hell broke loose. Now about 99% of the speedboaters would slow down when they saw us. Neil was fighting with his boat because the wind kept turning it really hard and I was fighting with my boat cause the waves wanted to knock it over. The waves kept hitting my left hand side so I was killing a lot of time turning into the bad waves so I wouldn’t tip.
Then comes along jerk-face dingle berry in a speedboat racing toward me. I held up my paddle and was lowering it over and over to tell him to slow down. I was worried the water was going to go into Neil’s boat.
This jerk ignored me and RACED by me and then waved at me. I put my paddle down and started to scream profanities at him while giving him a double bird salute. (flipping a bird with both hands) Then I had to turn into the waves so I would capsize. I was ENRAGED.

Neil asked me if I was okay after he yells, “I AM NOT HAVING FUN, this is not fun this SUCKS.”
While hitting the waves with this paddle trying to stop them from flooding his boat.

I yelled ”OH yeah I am GREAT. I am fueled by anger and I have it in me to get to that marina.” And I just started paddling like a mad woman.

We get there and another boater saw everything that happened and he was MAD. He said what that guy did was illegal and should have his license revoked.

So what did we learn on this trip?
The sites are beyond beautiful, so peaceful, the water was nice and we had a great time camping. But next time we need to research the water to make sure its not a huge open lake that lets speed boats on it.

I think our next paddle trip will be a river.
:)

mary

Oct 1, 2003
Mississauga Ontario
Hey Bob,
I am happy you enjoyed the report!

I figure maybe it was a good thing that speedboat weenie came by because it gave me the energy to keep going.
:D
I really think we just bit too much off since it was our first time.

I would LOVE to go back out to that camp site but I get worried about the waves. Its just a shame because it was the best camping experience I have ever had and I would love to return there.

I am looking forward to doing a river run though. Now to find a river we can do in a day or two...

qpassage

Thanks for sharing Mary.
I thought I would offer insight to the broken eggs. I've been told that you can pre-boil the eggs prior to a trip, about 1 min as I recall. Not cooking them but only sealing the outer layer making the shell harder and creating a seal. Never tried it myself as I always take these on my Quetico trips
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FN E100
They are surprisingly good for powdered eggs, esp. if you add bacon bits to them.

The link above has a great selection for freeze dried foods and that is usually about 90% of our food sorce on our back country trips. I highly recommend the blueberry granola and milk.

Bo

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
By the way Mary,
Was the tent your Dear Old Dad gave you the one he used on the Brazos river trip? :D
Bob

Nope... That tent was the replacement for the one that got destroyed on the Brazos River in those little Texas winds and left in the trash barrel at the landing. I never got a chance to use the new one since we have trees along our rivers and hammocks are what I like. Heck the darn thing was still in the box from the manufacture.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Thank you for sharing the Trip Report, Mary, and the photos are great. Too bad the trip was marred by a few power boats; unfortunately they are a fact of life on most large bodies of water. In some areas you can add jet skies and air boats to the mix of hazzards. With a bit more experience, you might consider driving west to Quetico Provincial Park. It's located just south of Atikokan, Ontario and is probably the most pristine wilderness paddling area in North America. After crossing little Nym Lake, the huge Park is 100% restricted to paddling - private sea planes are even forbidden to land within it's boundaries. Hundreds of SQ km of wilderness with countless lakes, rivers and streams have been set aside for future generations. You won't find marked trails, numbered campsites, cast iron cooking grates, or cedar box "thrones" at each campsite, but those minor inconveniences are more than compensated for by the natural beauty and solitude. Definately add it to your "Bucket List".

As for a river paddle up your way, I have no personal experience but have heard good things about sections of the French River. Would love to read your Trip Report at some later date. Keep us posted.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
A most excellent trip report. I do have one bit of advice if you care to take it.

Invite pops up to visit. Tell him that you have found a great place to paddle and he should bring a canoe.

Prior to his leaving to go back home, replace the canoe with the pirouge and then Neil will have a boat suited to the type of water you paddle in.

At his advanced age, he will most likely not notice he has the pirouge untill he gets home and unloads it. :wink:

Then both you and Neil will have the correct boats. = Problem solved.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mary
I enjoyed the report.
Might think of making a spray skirt for the perow.,or just talk Chuck intro building another yak :lol: :lol:
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Mary
I enjoyed the report.
Might think of making a spray skirt for the perow.,or just talk Chuck intro building another yak :lol: :lol:
Ron

Ron....
The subject of another Yak has been already hinted at.
Plus Bald Cypress's idea might of been thought about since I was informed that I need to go up there in the Spring and paddle out to that campsite with them in my canoe. I'm thinking that the time they spent out on the rocks star gazing is when that idea came up , or it could of been in the sun bathing time on the rocks. Anyway I know a person has a lot of thinking time when camping and paddling. :wink:

Mary....
I'm surprised no one has said this but they do make paddling gloves , the ones without fingers on them , just palm protection.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your potatoes......... Never thought of your idea about them for camping.

4849725080_0c340c1865.jpg

Ever given any thought to adding a strip of bacon around them for that bacon and salt flavor to them while they are cooking over the grill when out camping. Providing you have them wrapped up good and tight in some tin foil.

Also I like to clean them , dry them and then rub some rock salt ( the edible kind) on them after a coating of olive oil... Wrap them in tin foil and toss on the grill or next to the fire when camping. Make sure you turn them now and then and not over the direct fire , off to the side. A little butter and pepper or some sour cream and you have a good meal. A little good sharp cheddar cheese does not hurt anything.

Heck even a couple spoon fulls of some good seasoned salsa on it does not hurt the spud when enjoying it. Jezzzeeeee , the more on them the better but they are dang good just by themselves , a complete meal.

Chuck.
PS. They are the one camping food that can be with you with no worries about them spoiling on any trip.