Matt's Fall/Winter project | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Matt's Fall/Winter project

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Bullhead said:
I guess I must be hinfected is there an injection for termites?
Friend Jim,

Truthful Jack iz gwine ta tell ya how single malt will git rid of 'em. Mebbe so, but after payin' all them doctors 'n the $10 pills, ya mite try some Irish whiskey....'er jest some plain ole sippin' whiskey frum Tennessee.

regards,
bearridge
shade tree medikle clinik

College isn't the place to go for ideas. Hellen Keller

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Looking good Matt! I might have missed it but what is the width at the gunnels?
Jack you are right, the only cure is building more boats! Making sawdust for other stuff is fun but I found when building the pirogue that I spent allot of time between coats of epoxy just sitting out there staring and dreaming. Just don't seem to happen like that with critter cages or flower boxes huh? :p

JEM

lol....that was the plan.

I wanted narrow gunwales for easy paddling and stability, but I also kept in mind the program for this boat was also fishing. So I wanted to leave plenty of wiggle room.

I'd post the plans up sale now but I'm still not sure the best way to handle the sheerline/gunwale transition. That's something I want to prove out hands-on.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Bullhead said:
... I guess I must be hinfected is there an injection for termites? Jim
She knew that he'd been sneaking onto the internet, some geezer forum, and that his problem was from EE-poxy and sawdust.

Repent, Jim, before it's too late. Only if you send money (lots of small denomination bills with non-consecutive serial numbers) to me, can you be saved.

The results will be much more satisfying if you just spend the money on epoxy and plywood. Of course the fix is only temporary. Then ya gots to start a new boat..... if ya send it to Jack he would just buy single malt, epoxy, and plywood.

JEM

Tried to get a shot of the whole boat. Not easy when it's 17'.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bow

IMG_0006.jpg

Stern

IMG_0007.jpg

End view

IMG_0009.jpg

Holy porkupine Batman!

IMG_0010.jpg

Time for tack-welding.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
still looking at the pictures, Whats going on at the gunnels in the area were it is pinched down? Looks like a second strip of wood at the gunnels? Temporary or another bend right at the top? Again, looking good! I can already see myself in it on a 2 week trip down the Suwannee!
Brad

JEM

thanks.

The tumblehome in is 2 parts. The part that angles back into the middle of the hull and then a straight 90 piece at the top.

I had concern of how I was going to install the gunwales to the "facet tumblehome". I added the 90 piece to help address that.

Looking at it tonight, I believe the hull wood will bend just fine to accept a gunwale. So adding that 90 degree piece should pay off.

Started tack welding the center seam.

Already picked out a couple minor tweaks I'll do to make assembly easier.

Yea it's a lot of zip ties! :lol: I buy them in bulk so there's only about $5 there.