Mick's Wifes New Boat ... A P-5 Pirogue. | SouthernPaddler.com

Mick's Wifes New Boat ... A P-5 Pirogue.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you guy's who have been on here for a while know about Mick ( the wood boat builder from down under) just made a pirogue for his lovely wife ..Robin.

Since he has posted some pictures of it on Matt's web site ... ( I have no idea why he did that all Matt did was design the P-5) :lol:
These are taken (stolen ) from http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/ BUILDERS LOG.

So ... I stole a few pictures of the P-5 to post over here..... ARREST ME. :roll:
After all you guy's and even I do make a wood boat now and then. Not as many as Mick does , he is a boat building wizard.

IMG_1702Small.jpg

IMG_1701Small.jpg

IMG_1703Small.jpg

When a design comes together and is fun to paddle and the paddler really likes it ... I like to pass the word along.

Sorry about that Mick ... sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut and I still say I bet Robin out fishes you all the time. :roll:

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Wow Mick that boat came out looking great! I've checked out the build a couple of times on JEM and thought it would be a great boat for my wife also. Good On Ya Again Mate!

Now a question about the seat. I saw you took the Pirogue seat and modified it even more than Chuck did with the addition of the sit backer. How comfortable is it compared to the origanal design?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks very much guys,

I deliberately didn't post this one here yet because the design is still in the prototype stage. I will do a review shortly but it is a great little boat.

Tier, mate, the sit backer seat on a base similar to Chuck is a beautiful thing. Really comfortable, and can very easily be transerred from boat to boat, or boat to camp.

It also saves a lot of work building and installing seats in each boat you build. I like that. :D

First Blood!! :D

IMG_1705Small.jpg

IMG_1704Small.jpg

IMG_1710Small.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Thanks very much guys,

I deliberately didn't post this one here yet because the design is still in the prototype stage.

Mick.... See this is the difference between a builder and on who did not build it but wants the world to know. You have to be careful and I don't.... It was not in the secret ( privy to a few folks) section but on the Builders Log which anyone can see. Yep , I signed off to make sure and then signed back on Matt's web site.

As I said , Great boats need to be known and since Robin likes it I know she has good taste in boats and fishing , the rest I am a little worried about. :roll:

Chuck........
PS... Mick...Did I say you are a good sport and a person anyone would what to call a friend , Good I thought I did not print that. :lol: :lol: :lol: ( Matt can fuss at me later when he designs some bad boats , like that will ever happen) :roll:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Nice boats chuck I mean Mick. :wink: Chuck now that you mentioned I don,t ever see Mick holding his catch up. Robin must be teaching Mick to fish.Oh I know he,s the photagrapher. :) :lol: :lol:

Nice pics Mick of fish & surroundings if you ain,t in them keep them coming.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

This is a really good design. A fun little boat to paddle. A more complete review and comparison to my tourer is now on my build thread at Jem.

Heya Cat.,

Here ya go mate. Not quiet holding it up, but you get the idea. :D
Hairy in action. :D
2007_02140110Small.jpg

IMG_1712Small.jpg

IMG_1711Small.jpg

Low tide, Burrum River. It extends like this for miles and stink boats are useless here. A pirogue is ideal. :D

2007_02140106Small.jpg

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Mick looks like a nice one you got on . But my philosapy has always been you can,t count them kind until he makes the grease splatter. :) :wink:

Nice looking places is it mostly salt or brackish water . Mick do you guys have what we call reds or spot tail bass.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
Mighty pretty boat for a pretty lady. It's a shame her eyes are bad ( they must be for you to have gotten her :lol: )
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the very kind words. I'll certainly pass them on to Robin.

Ticky,

do you spray the finish or is it brushed?

That is just rolled on and screeded off epoxy resin at this stage. When I am ready to pain and varnish, I will spray.

Cat,

Nice looking places is it mostly salt or brackish water . Mick do you guys have what we call reds or spot tail bass.

No spot tail bass mate. The water there is salt ( very) and is about 10 miles from the ocean

Ron,

Mighty pretty boat for a pretty lady. It's a shame her eyes are bad ( they must be for you to have gotten her )

Yep too true :D :D Every day, I ask myself what she ever saw in me