Moonshine Grape Wine Recipe | SouthernPaddler.com

Moonshine Grape Wine Recipe

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Make this and consume at your own risk. I make it but let age(a week or two before drinking :lol: ) KAHUNA

2 - 12 oz. cans frozen grape juice

3 1/2 cups of white granulated sugar

Wine yeast(better but)1/3 cake of yeast (Fleishmann's is best)

Commercial Fermentation Lock or(a large Balloon and some strong string )

one Gallon Jug

First, set the grape juice out to thaw, until slushy. Next, mix the
sugar thoroughly in with the grape juice. Pour the sugar and juice,
into the gallon jug.

Dissolve the yeast in a cup of lukewarm* water and add to the juice
mixture in the gallon jug. (*If water is too warm, it will kill the
active ingredient in the yeast that causes fermentation.) Mix
everything thoroughly. Now add just enough lukewarm water to fill
the gallon jug up to about 2 inches below the neck. When this is
done, place the balloon over the top of neck and secure tightly with
string. Note! This must be an air tight fit... If you have followed
all directions carefully, the balloon will soon start to expand with
the gas, caused by the fermentation. Store the mixture in a cool
(but not cold) area, 60 to 75 degrees is ideal, for a period of from
3 to 6 weeks.

Check the balloon every other day. If the balloon expands too large,
untie and allow the gas to escape and then retie, but be sure to
retie tightly to make it air tight again. When the balloon ceases to
expand, the wine is done.

NOTICE - Do not bottle the wine before it is done. Working wine
(fermenting) can explode a bottle from the gas pressure of
fermentation.

Strain your wine with a cheese cloth or a tea towel and pour into a
bottle, using a snap-on type of cap or use a cork. Store bottles on
their sides in a cool, dark place. All that's left now to do, is
ENJOY!! :D

A

Anonymous

:D Ok Mr. Kahoony:
I jest caint find the Yeast yeer a talkin about :?
So I guess I'll jest hafta ask ya iffn I kin jest use one packet o Fleischmann's Dry Yeast Is that about equal? It sez 1/4 OZ. on the packet.
Also i just tried boiling(double boiler) two two liter pepsi bottles, an guess what? They dun shrunk edown ta one litre apiece :oops: Guess I'll hafta go buy me a jug a cider so's I kin have the jug. :lol:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
I'll hep ya...

If you promise to register and become a member of Sparkeys Forum I'll send you a packet or two free of charge next week. {:O) I just need your snail mail address. You can find my e-mail addy under "Memberlist". Kahuna :D
Anonymous said:
:D Ok Mr. Kahoony:
I jest caint find the Yeast yeer a talkin about :?
So I guess I'll jest hafta ask ya iffn I kin jest use one packet o Fleischmann's Dry Yeast Is that about equal? It sez 1/4 OZ. on the packet.
Also i just tried boiling(double boiler) two two liter pepsi bottles, an guess what? They dun shrunk edown ta one litre apiece :oops: Guess I'll hafta go buy me a jug a cider so's I kin have the jug. :lol:

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
I'm already a member. but I had a crash last week an had ta delete all my cookies an such, an when I posted I unwittingly posted as a lurker.
I think I found somone locally to get it from. This is a real Mormon town, and although we do have a microbrewery, winemaking supplies are not readily available. But I found a guy that deals in it from his garage.
But what are the ratios of yeast to sugar that you generally look for?

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Moonshine wine

You guys are leading me astray once more. First it was starting another boat, now its home brew. At least I'm not eating grits.

A

Anonymous

Chaep air lock for wine making

If you put a pinhole in the ballon before you put it on the bottle the gas from fermentation will be able to get out but no nasty bugs can get in to spoil your brew. I have used this before when making wine at home and it works great. Oh yeah, Rinse out the inside of the ballon with peroxide to kill anything that might be in it to begin with.

New builder

A

Anonymous

Ok iz been a bunch a time since ah posted. N Ah bin too bizy ta fool much wit da puter. But I gotta tell ya. I keep a batch er two a goin all th time since that recipee wuz posted. The best variation I found is ta use an extra cup a sugar n instead of bread yeast, an find sum champaign yeast (Packs a better punch an also takes less time to age). Then use about half th water called fer an boil it with for er five sticks uh sinumun, sum cloves
an half a package o dried red chili peppers (Cayenne). Add it back t th mix
an let it ferment with an airlock. yum yum yum. Jest a tadll do ya taint white litenin but it shure do taste better.
Oh ya I got mousser #1 in the water las week, A bit late fer krismus but jest in time fer birthday daughter #3. She wuz a bit skeert so's I jumped in b'hind her an paddled all over th place an now she loves it. Needs a kayak paddle though, as shee's a bit steep on the rocker an will swap ends pretty quick fer a beginner. Now I gotta git #2 dun b'fore it starts gittin kold again.

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
I brewed my first batch about 2 weeks ago, straight from the recipe. Used wine making yeast, the balloons were cool but i switched over to airlocks when I found them for less than $2 each.

A question. this stuff bubbled hard for about week and has now almost stopped, I used a whole package of yeast( good for 5 gallons). sampled it last night. Will it clearup on its own, Its currently cloudy?

A

Anonymous

[quote sampled it last night. Will it clearup on its own, Its currently cloudy?]

I just let it sit fer a couple weeks in a realitively cool place an it settles on it's own. Rack it off and store in a clean pop bottle untill ready to use.
You can also clarify it a bit mor rapidly in the freezer.
Welches Cherry juice also makes good wine :? :? :? [/quote]

builder

Jul 21, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
home brew

Hi guys,

I have a batch going right now and have racked it off once already. After about a week the airlock stopped bubbling so I added a more sugar and it started right up again. Did this once more and no bubbles. The guy at the brew shop said I probably reached a level of alcohol that killed the yeast. I was to cheap to buy a hydrometer but I did take a sip and man is it potent (and potable). I will let it sit for about a week if I can wait that long or maybe just filter it throug a coffee filter. The guy at the store said it would be best to let it settle on its own but hey, its jug wine not a reserve that I am making.

cheers y'all

builder

A

Anonymous

Yea, I had a little taste this weekend,Welches Alcohol.My 14 year old and I made the first batch together. That might have been a mistake "has anybody seen the yeast that was in the fridge?".

Its been a month from the start, I will be bottling it this weekend, Still aint clear though.

Trying to think of some cool Irish cheer to put up here but dont remember any , ironic isn't it. Hell, I'm mostly Finnish anyway. CHEERS

Draino

A

Anonymous

Cheers to you....

A bucket of that mountain dew for Draino.....
Irish Cheer,

Let the grasses grow and the waters flow in a free and easy way...

But give me enough of that rare old stuff, thats made near Galway Bay...

And policeman all from Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim too...

We'll give them the slip and take a sip

of that real old Mountain Dew!

What can I say, my wife's Uncle, a true Irishman was the greatest drink'n buddy I ever had! Bottoms up Draino!

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Making Grannys Moonshine..

I'm glad to see people trying this recipe. Pretty easy. :D I let mine settle naturally...in fact there is a bottle(only one left) at my moms that she has collecting dust for the last 2 years way in the dark corner of her pantry.....gotta pop the cork on that baby the next camping trip :lol: KAHUNA
P.S. I miss talking to you guys... :cry:

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Ol yak, thanks for the cheer.

kahuna, Thanks for the recipe.

I jumped on the net yesterday and found a bunch that use juice concentrate, it seems I'm hooked. I know the guy at the wine makin shop by first name, Second batch being made this weekend,possibly cherry.

Draino

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.... I have a bottle cooking.... :D

The yeast is having a feast on all of that sugar ..... it is some sort of bubbly, bubbles everywhere.

A couple of questions ... 1st I am doing a batch following Kahunas directions then I would like to try some fooling around..... With the Recipe.

My question is ........ I noticed that when the bubbles slowed down some of you added more sugar it give it a little more kick ..... Does it really help or just make the wine sweeter ?????

Some of you added cinnamon to it with cloves and cayenne. That I have to try.

Has anyone tried adding some orange zest (rien) to it ?????

Chuck......

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
YaHOOO mOUNTAIN dOO!!!

Chuck...adding more sugar will only make it ferment only so much. It gets to a point that the percentage of alcohol will kill the yeast. The wine will just be sweeter.

8) Kahuna
My question is ........ I noticed that when the bubbles slowed down some of you added more sugar it give it a little more kick ..... Does it really help or just make the wine sweeter ?????

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
I've escalated the brewing and am currently doing 2-3 gallon bottles.

The best I came up with is welches "white raspberry", straight to the directions from Kuhuna.

Brewing is fun and rewarding, I did have a problem only brewing 1 gallon at a time-Too many friends that I wanted to share this with. its a slow process.

Clearing your wine in the fridge is a quick way to do that and you wont have any sulfites in it.

Thanks, Duane