More bloody Woodgate | SouthernPaddler.com

More bloody Woodgate

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G’day guys,

Another Woodgate trip has been and gone.

Robin and I did a little four wheel driving this time and found our way over several miles of a soft sand track

IMGP0034033640x480.jpg

through national park to a nice beach side, wilderness camp ground

IMGP0036035640x480.jpg

The place is called Burrum Point or North-shore and I have only ever been in there by boat before. It is right on the northern mouth of our Burrum River with extensive walking tracks throughout the area. Robin just loves that.

We were both very impressed with the place and it has re-instilled Robins desire to go camping (in the bush) again. I am real happy about that and have started sorting our camping gear. We haven’t used it in a long time.

View from the camp site.
IMGP0038037640x480.jpg

IMGP0037036640x480.jpg

Track from camp site to the beach. 4WD beach access is allowed on this part of our coast.

IMGP0044043640x480.jpg

There is a gutter here that runs parallel to the beach and is protected by several miles of exposed sand flat at low tide. = very good calm water paddling in the ocean with the opportunity for some surf at the northern end.

The next day we had a nice paddle (again) in Theodolite Creek. This time we paddled up stream with the incoming tide and back with the ebb
IMGP1056014640x480.jpg

IMGP1055013640x480.jpg

IMGP1002014640x480.jpg

I caught a couple of fish for our supper and Robin could try out her new camera.

IMGP0173034640x480.jpg

IMGP1062020640x480.jpg

I am working on creating a picassa photo album and will up load there from now on. My plan is to be able to post a few piccies here and a link to the album so that if anybody wants to check them out, they can and it won’t overload the forum.
( We seem to be taking about a gig or two of piccies every time we go away now.) :oops:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Good morning Ozzie,

Can't sleep mate?

Those a small Grunter, or Javelin Fish. They are very good to eat with firm, sweet, white flesh and are highly prized here, both as sport and table fare.

Unfortunately, they are suckers for gill nets and the poachers and commercial net fishermen decimate their populations every chance they get.

The beauty of Theodolite is that being so very shallow, it is difficult for the netters to get up to where the fish are in their power boats. :D

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Not a good day at work so I'm stressing some.The SP is about the best thing I have to forget the work related ca ca.

dawallace45

Mick

You going to be home next week ? I'm goping to be down that way and if your in I wouldn't mind seeing your new kayaks , have some stuff on bowmaking for you as well , let me know , I've sent you a email and rang but as you know phoning you and actually catching you is like nailing jelly to a tree

David

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
As you would say......"Bloody good Mate!" I really appreciate pix like this in the winter up here. Puts a warm spot in the heart. Really nice, wish I was there. Guess I need to start a boat project to keep from going whacko.
Been drink'n with Sam McGee but he ain't much fun anymore.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Guess I need to start a boat project to keep from going whacko.

Oldyaker.... Talk about closing the barn door after the cow got out , a day late and two bucks short , dipping water out of an empty bucket , playing cards with only 49 of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Mick...
It still get me how your area and over here are alike , yep we have to be sitting on the same zone , that sand road and the vegetation sure is the Ocala National Forest.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

You 'n Miz Robin need a tv show.......The Vacationers. We have fishin' shows, huntin' shows 'n such. Hmmmm.......mebbe not. Next thing ya know there would be barbarians on four wheelers leavin' trash everwhere.....like they do in the Ocala Nationalized Forest. :| :| :| I reckon I kin speak fer everbody when I tell ya what a sad day it will be when ya'll gotta spend more time at w*rk. :cry:

How'd ya cook them fish?

regards
bearridge

Heckler: "Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!"
Churchill: "Yes, I am; and you are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sober."

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good to see Ms Robin is enjoying herself, you too. Some of the beach and foliage looked similar to mangroves on Outhouse Key, in the Neverglades. Maybe you found the panties that Yakus Disgustibus hung in a tree?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Thanks again.

Please let me know if you are getting sick of Woodgate piccies.

It is just so convenient for us. A short drive up the coast and we are there!

I am back at w@#k now and Mis Robin starts back on Monday Night so the trip reports will slow down for a while.

Chuck, A lot of the Queensland and northern New South Wales coast is like this. Sand washed in from the sea that has built up to dunes along the foreshore with scrub or wallum, as we call it, a little further inland.

With our relatively small population, (about 20 million nationally) there is still a lot of coast line that hasn't been developed. Even what we consider to be heavily developed areas are probably like country towns to you.

I think that Brisbane, our state capitol and the biggest city in Queensland only has a population of about a million. ( way too big for my liking)

Bear, we got barbarians in 4WDs and on stinking dirt bikes too. but probably just not as many of them.. In these national park type camping & walking areas, our parks and wildlife officers have extensive powers for dealing with them (with the support of the communities and the geniune lovers of the bush.) Generally speaking, as soon as they start their rot, they are brought to heel. There is no litter in these parks to speak of and many who visit clean up what they find there anyway. Most people I know, would not hesitate to take these vandals to task if they catch them trashing up the place. (Robin is utterly fearless in this regard) :shock: :D all 110 pounds of her. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
G'day guys,

Chuck, A lot of the Queensland and northern New South Wales coast is like this. Sand washed in from the sea that has built up to dunes along the foreshore with scrub or wallum, as we call it, a little further inland.

Mick. Ya could put me in any of those spots and I would feel right at home , In the reverse , I could take you to any of the areas around here and you would think you were at home.

Florida is nothing more then a prehistoric sand bar which had some vegetation grow on it. It was not unusual for someone to put down a fresh water well and have prehistoric sharks teeth come out with the water , especially the artesian wells. Later when the Yankees discovered Florida..then the condominiums , apartments , paved roads and everything they thought that was an improvement .... destroyed the old Florida that all of us really liked.

We did that back in the 50's at the one field , when the well gushed ( thanks to several sticks of dynamite , drill the well down to bedrock , drop in the dynamite and the next thing you have is a flowing well. ) we had sharks teeth raining down on us along with the fresh , cold , pure , water. Dad had it tested , 100% pure , no pollution , just some good Florida Spring water for the crops.

Chuck.