More questions about jerky | SouthernPaddler.com

More questions about jerky

dawallace45

I think I have my beef mince jerky to a flavour I can live with now , taste is good , but the texture is a little coarse , the commercial packet mixes seem to have some thing in them to make the texture smoother and that makes packing in vacuum packs easier as the coarse sharp bits on my jerky can puncture the plastic

I used the recipe from Bob as the base but have changed it slightly , his recipe was

1 Tsp Rooster sauce(That is what we call Sriracha Hot Chili sauce. Clear bottle with green cap and a white rooster srounded by Gook writing.)
1 TBL brown sugar
2 TBL crushed red pepper
1 TSP Lea & Perrins Wostershire Sauce
1 TSP onion powder
1TSP Garlic powder
1 TSP soy sauce
1 LB (don't know kg)
marinade overnight.

The revised recipe is

5 TBL Rooster sauce(That is what we call Sriracha Hot Chili sauce. Clear bottle with green cap and a white rooster srounded by Gook writing.)
2 TBL brown sugar
6 TBL crushed red pepper
4TBL Lea & Perrins Wostershire Sauce
2TSP onion powder
2TSP Garlic powder
4TBL soy sauce
2 TSP Cumin
2TBL Crushed Ginger
2TSP Quick Cure
2TSP Black pepper
I KG [ 2.2 lb ] beef mince
marinade overnight.

Any suggestions as to what I can add to smooth out the texture ?

My mates who eat jerky love the new recipe and so do I but it seems that for the most part my jerky eating days are pretty much over as I've been told that I have to stop eating red meat due to having Hemochromatosis , they are talking about blood letting in a few weeks on a monthly basis , life just likes playing little tricks on you now and again , but even if I can't eat it much any more I still want to get the texture right , bit of OCD kicking in

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
David,
I just read your revised recipie and the wife thinks there might not be that much difference between an Aussie and a Texan. Nathan may be changing the way he makes jerkey. While he was stuck in Tulsa for three weeks he found and bought some hotsauce made with Habanero and Gost peppers. I will have to wait until he gets in from work to find out the name of it. I am definately going to try your revised recepie. Thanks.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chicken makes good jerky too. Almost any lean meat marinated in almost anything (I'd soak longer than just overnight) and then smoked is GOOD! Different guys like the flavors of smoke from different woods. I've like all smoke, but find that I like hickory best. Just my taste buds.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
You said that you used minced meat. Is that like ground beef? If so maby you could find a meat market to custom grind the beef as course or as fine as you like. I've eaten minced meat pie, but have no idea what minced meat is.
Bob

dawallace45

Over the years I've tried Beef , Venison , chicken , turkey , roo , pork and camel jerky and though I love beef and Venison jerky the rest don't do a lot for me , just personal taste , also I'm a bit wary about using pork or poultry

Have decided that next batch I do with the Jerky gun I'll try adding Gelatin , just need some thing to smooth out the texture

Yeah Beef mince is what you call Ground beef or hamburger , when I got the jerky gun it come with one package of commercial jerky mix , it gave a totally different texture than just using ordinary ground beef alone with the jerky recipe above

The camel jerky tasted like crap ,

Old mate of mine used to make jerky out of any game meat he had and he wasn't fussy , saw him making it but wasn't keen to try his Rabbit , Fox , possum , dingo and horse jerky , there are some things I have to be starving to try , besides he made the worst jerky , his recipe was curry powder , soy sauce , Worcestershire sauce and enough black pepper to keep the flys away and it takes a lot of black pepper to keep the flys away out west , he just used to lay the strips of meat out on a old bed frame covered in wire netting , the whole lot sitting out in the sun , he didn't have refrigeration and used a coolgardie safe to marinate his meat and after a day or two if he'd been on the home brew or metho too much the canvas on the safe used to dry out and the the meat and marinate used to start fermenting , he would still make jerky from it , which is why I wouldn't eat it

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
Before doing a whole batch with gelatin it might not be a bad deal to try a very small amount to see what happens. What would you have if you dried gelatin? Would running the ground meat through a blender help smoothe out the texture?
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
dawallace45 said:
Bob

Habanero and Ghost peppers !!!, Bloody hell , a good name for it would be " Fire in the Hole "

No suggestions on some thing to change the texture ? , I've been considering some thing like gelatin powder

David
David,
I ask Nathan why they would bother putting Habanero peppers in with Ghost peppers/ Smart A$$ said "Dad, the Habenero is there to cut the Bite of the Ghost pepper a little bit".
Bob

dawallace45

I know I don't need to grind the meat finer , as I said the commercial jerky seasoning mixes have a additive that changes the texture , when I first got the Jerky gun I bought two KG of Ground beef and used some of with the LEM jerky seasoning mix and some with my own spice mix , totally different texture , if they can do then so can I , just got to work it out

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OK, use Tender Quik. It is a mix of salt, and Salt peter, made and sold by Morton salt Company. It will cure the meat, and that does change the texture as you mention. Here, I find it on hte grocery shelf near common salt. It is in a one pound bag, dark blue.

dawallace45

Ed , I have several good recipes for jerky made from cut strips but they don't work well for ground meat , or they haven't for me

Jack / Bob , The quick cure I use is based on PawPaw and is a tenderiser as well and I've made it with and with out the quick cure but it made no difference to the texture , maybe leaving it in the fridge for a few more days would make a difference but it wasn't necessary with the Lem Seasoning mix , Haven't used the Morton's brand as it isn't available here

David

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
When I grind meat I stuff it in lamb casing or small breakfast sausage casings and smoke it the same way. The smoke is what gives it the wonderful flavor. I do not brine it and season it only with salt, course black pepper and garlic. You can then dry it just like regular jerky. I do use a little tender quick or pink cure for the dried sausage as it makes it last longer. It is much easier to eat than my tough jerky and I can mix different meats such as venison and beef together.

dawallace45

Ed

Not easy to get sausage casings in small lots here , actually you buy bulk or not at all so won't be going that route , used to love venison jerky , I used to go deer hunting several times a year when I lived in Clermont and would turn most of it into jerky unless it had been a good year and the deer had a good layer of fat which I prefer for venison steaks , but mostly the meat was very lean so it went to stews or jerky

Actually the other idea I had for making the surface texture smoother was to add egg white but either way I'll work it out eventually

David