Morning paddle on Lake Verret | SouthernPaddler.com

Morning paddle on Lake Verret

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went out for a few hours this morning on Lake Verret. The temperature was in the 40's warming to 70 at mid-morning- perfect. Put in at the end of a four mile gravel road and was on my way right at daylight. Traveled down Little Grand Bayou for a mile until it opened up into the lake.
100_0051.jpg

Went out into the lake and headed south along the shore until I came to a another bayou that headed east. Flushed a couple of wood ducks and around the next bend I came upon this family of nutrias.
twonutrias.jpg

Stayed around trying to get more pictures of them and after about 10 minutes of patience I took this one.
100_0050.jpg

Yes, that's the front of the pirogue on the right of the frame. Did I say it took patience? Here's another close one.
100_0048.jpg

I let the mom and her young ones have some peace and went back out on the lake to have a little snack. Lake Verret doesn't have a lot of land around it so you gotta improvise.
100_0054-1.jpg

I headed back after my snack and found this little slough.
100_0057.jpg

Piper, if you come down we'll have to investigate a few of these.

Guys, I have to tell you, I have been traveling these bayous for 40 plus years but since I built this pirogue and paddled these waters at a slower pace, I have a much greater appreciation of South Louisiana.

Later Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I thank you, Joey, another trip, mayhaps? Bringing Carol instead of a boat this trip. I'm hinting like crazy for other guys to organize other trips on which I can join in.

Maybe you'd like to join Ozark (Paul - one of the Smith Brothers) as he joins me in May to paddle the Au Sable here in Michigan? Gravel bottom, clear waters, the Holy Waters of trout fishing, beaver, deer, bald eagles, mink, otter, ducks & geese galore. One wek trip at geezer speed. Self contained camping.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Possibilities abound. The Oz man and I are hitting some Missouri rivers in September and need somebody to uncap our beer, iron our shirts, and sing songs around the fire at night. (Is that all, Paul? Maybe they could fry eggs in the morning too?)

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Aw heck, Jack, Paul, just swing by here in August on your way throught o Missouri. I should be able to get 'em all cooked up for ya on the roof of yer van, Jack, should only take a moment to cook a whole dozen.

Steve

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
"Gravel bottom, clear waters" My pirogue wouldn't know how to act in such a pristine enviornment. That does sound tempting.

Oz, five rivers in five days sounds sounds good also, and a little closer to home.

Joey

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez Joey! Another damn nice place, looks primeval. I think when I finally retire I'm just going to be a paddl'n bum. Living out of the back of my truck, boat on the overhead rack, and camp and paddle all these beautiful places you guys post on here.
You camera takes nice pix Joey....

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Trip type thoughts here. Yours may vary from mine.

Better in spring before Decoration Day, and in fall after Labor day - bugs are dead and kids are in school

Better if a "local expert" organizes and leads the trip

Better if 3-7, maybe 10, participants

Better if pace is not at forced march speed

Better for about 5-7 days duration

Better if each paddler can be self-contained, but still partners with others

Better if each participant can (1) be trusted with your Life, and (2) each participant pitches in on chores and gets along well with group.

As different guys can consider organizing a trip, announce it or invite privately to gather paddlers.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldyaker, some of these places still blow me away and I grew up around these parts. As for the camera, I just got it and set it on Auto and let er rip. It's one those $129.99 Kodak jobs-- even got 30 bucks off of that price. I started out years ago with 35 mm, but this digital equipment is flat out amazing! The 8 power total zoom comes standard but I had to pay $200.00 for an equivalent lens 25 years ago.

Jack, your list looks a lot like mine. I especially agree with "Better if pace is not at forced march speed ". Trying to go at a predetermined speed doesn't allow for "spontaneous exploration tangents".

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Forgot about this pic. This is what passes for fall colors here. Keep in mind fall colors and this was taken yesterday.

100_0059.jpg

There are even a few green leaves left on some of those trees.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Joey,

I really like the phrase of "Spontaneous Exploration Tangents" (SET's). THAT'S a gem!

What I'm really trying to do here, is subtly bait others into volunteering to organize a trip or two. Even if only the good looking guys organized only one trip a year, invited others to join, that would be a helluva array of trips throughout the year and throughout the land. But sigh they all seem too lethargic and over fed to take the bait.

The Smith Brothers (both Trade and Mark) and I are paddling off into glorious sunsets in adventure land.

Come join me in May on the Au Sable. Jimmie Dorazio (Yakus Peeinthebushicus) tentatively plans to be there; my buddy from California will be elk hunting with his son so that opens up a spot, local paddlers will join in too.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Joey,

Amazing piccies again mate. Thank you!!

We have nothing to compare with your bayous or your wildlife.

Your piccies have again inspired me to get my piroge down from her racks and take her for a little walk.

Your paddle style and pace seems to be what it is all about mate. Please keep the trip reports (and piccies) coming!