Moster Gar | SouthernPaddler.com

Moster Gar

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ha Ha Ha ... I posted the above one about the Brazos River gang and it was clear skies , warm , only 95 on the back porch with the fans blowing .... Next thing I know it is 80 , gray skies , tons of wind and what looks like a small hurricane moving in with a bunch of nasty looking clouds getting darker and nastier looking by the minute and did I say WIND , The trees are dancing. Not even thinking about the lighting off in the distance.

Shutting the computer down around here for a while and going back out on the porch to enjoy the Texas weather in Florida. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Careful Chuck,
If that's the same system that moved through North Texas the other day it might be rough. Beleive it tore up a bunch of Notrh East Texas. 70mph winds and such.
Bob

Only 70 mph winds , heck they would be a summer breeze compared to out camping with tx river- rat and Darrell especially in a flimsy tent that can withstand the winds and hot air from a Mississippi Attorney but not the weather that can be conjure up .

Texas does rule on that , they can produce more turbulence then anyone , even more then a southern lawyer that only paddles out after a gentile 50 to 55 mph breeze with one shoe in the morning. :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :lol: Not saying Texiacans are windy but they sort of do match the weather in that , I do like them a lot better then there little storms that they take for granted.

This ole house I have .... has beat a lot of good Florida Hurricanes from back in the 50's to today. The new ones suffer since they are new , us old goats including there homes survive.

Now if I just was in a hammock out there , on the Brazos ...... or a bomb shelter , either would of offered a good nights sleep that night. It was my trip of a life time as far as the weather goes and I sure wish it does not get any more challenging but if it does , I have had meet the Devil and he lost that night. :D

tx-river -rat and Darrell do throw a good party , I enjoyed the HELL out of it , Looking for more in the future.

If anything I am sure they managed to make me feel at home since I live in the Land of Lighting ( we are the capital of it for the states ) plus the high winds , Those Texicans are some courteous folks. :roll:

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
OK. I'm gonna open a can of worms here. Maybe even make some of you mad.

I don't mind killing for a purpose. I'll kill something if I feel like eating it. And I'll kill something that is causing me trouble. I'll kill a squirrel for raiding the bird feeder too many times, and I'll kill a copperhead just 'cause I don't want one living in my yard.

I don't believe in killing just to hang a carcass on the wall. Or to get my name in a record book.

That ain't a good enough reason.

Fifty years old. Over two hundred pounds. And it's dead because this guy wanted to go out and see what was the biggest thing he could stick an arrow in. Is that really the right way to act?

George

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Before the pot gets stirred to a boiling point and I won't participate in that, I have a question. Alligator gar are eaten in Louisiana. Has it been established that this one was not? To paraphrase the brilliant thinker Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say about this gar thing."

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
In the article the guy said he was going to take it to a taxidermist. I ain't sure, but I don't think you can have it both ways. Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong; I've never had a fish mounted, so I don't really know.

If he shot it for dinner that's fine with me. About the only thing I've seen people bowfishing for in my part of the country is carp. And they don't eat them. They just shoot them to see if they can.

I'm sorry, but that pisses me off.

I killed several fish yesterday. The good parts are in the freezer. And I'm gonna kill some squirrels in the next couple days, because they are aggravating my wife. (messing up the bird feeder). And I'm going to keep on paying Publix to send people out and kill cows so I can have steak. What I ain't gonna do is go out in a swamp and kill a fifty year old fish just so I can say "hey ya'll, look what I shot".

George

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend George,

I dont care fer sport killin'....fer trophys. Whilst it seems kinda queer ta me, I dont care if a fella wants part of it on hiz wall, but killin' animals jest ta kill the biggest one iz a sad thing. At least it seems that way ta me.

regards
bearridge

ps I dont mean ta give ya'll the idea that I aint ever kilt some animals fer no dang reason at all. I done plenty I aint proud of.

I've killed women and children.  I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another.  And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned.  William Munney

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
bearridge said:
ps I dont mean ta give ya'll the idea that I aint ever kilt some animals fer no dang reason at all. I done plenty I aint proud of.

Yes, ditto.

There are things we grow out of as time passes.

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I dont care fer sport killin'....fer trophys. Whilst it seems kinda queer ta me, I dont care if a fella wants part of it on hiz wall, but killin' animals jest ta kill the biggest one iz a sad thing. At least it seems that way ta me.

I dont mean ta give ya'll the idea that I aint ever kilt some animals fer no dang reason at all. I done plenty I aint proud of.

Same here but I have never trophy hunter , it was for food not glory. Unless you can call a dang good supper a trophy. :D

Chuck

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
bearridge said:
Friend George,

regards
bearridge

Same here. There are valid reasons for killing. Food is the best reason. Killing just to see if you can is just not acceptable to me.

And yeah, I've done plenty I ain't proud of either. :(

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On the flip side of the coin .... Just think of all the game fish that Gar has eaten in the 50 years it was around. If anything he saved a lot of game fish , ducks and turtles lives so we can catch them and keep them nice and warm in a skillet. Plus I will bet that Gar never did the catch and release a lot of us like to do. :wink: Might say , one predator has been removed from the food chain.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
On the flip side of the coin .... Just think of all the game fish that Gar has eaten in the 50 years it was around. If anything he saved a lot of game fish , ducks and turtles lives so we can catch them and keep them nice and warm in a skillet. Plus I will bet that Gar never did the catch and release a lot of us like to do. :wink: Might say , one predator has been removed from the food chain.

Chuck.

That is a workable point, one that could be honestly debated. Pretty complicated situation, though, when you start messing with mother nature, trying to manage the ecosystem.

-would you kill hawks because they eat rabbits?

-would you kill wolves because they decrease the size of Elk herds? (Not talking about ranchers and cattle here, that's a whole different discussion).

-would you exterminate foxes because they thin out the quail?

One thing I do recognize is that the Louisiana Fish and Game people probably would regulate Gar if they felt that there was any shortage of them. I am assuming there must be plenty of population or they wouldn't allow bowfishing them....

I still can't get comfortable with killing a fifty year old animal just to hang it on the wall.

I don't want to beat the thing to death, though. If what you are doing is legal, then you won't find me getting in your way. I just feel kind of strongly about this, and felt like sharing my opinion.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Personally , I was brought up that you do not kill anything you don't intend to eat.
I have made a few exceptions to that in the realm of camping , fishing and enjoying the outdoors. Main reason is it would take to many to make a meal but I have been in areas where that would be the exception. "O" Well .... Mosquitoes and Sand Gnats don't count as far as I am concerned and you can toss Ticks and Fire Ants in that equation. Plus on rare occasions some things that just deserved a good killing which wasn't for food or trophy's. :twisted:

I will shag a Rattler out of the area , unless I wanted some of the other white meat to enjoy , it is tough but quite sweet and dang good when fried. :D

Cooked a bunch of the rattler fillets (strips ) and some frog legs for the wife when we were dating. She thought they were dam good. What are these strips of the meat that is so sweet and where did you get the chicken legs with such small bones in them.
I would not tell her what they were till the next date we had. When I told her what they were she got as green as a dollar bill and about killed me. :lol: Today , she will order a mess of frog legs if we hit a restaurant that sells them but it is hard to find a place that sells fresh Rattler. Personally , I would rather get the ingredients for that supper myself , it sure does cost less that way.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
...When I told her what they were she got as green as a dollar bill and about killed me. :lol: Chuck.

:D You must have made an awfully good impression on her if you got away with that.

Finding a lady with a good sense of humor is definitely one of the keys to happiness in life!

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
gbinga said:
oldsparkey said:
...When I told her what they were she got as green as a dollar bill and about killed me. :lol: Chuck.

:D You must have made an awfully good impression on her if you got away with that.

Finding a lady with a good sense of humor is definitely one of the keys to happiness in life!

George

Yep. We have been married for 44 years. Might say she got even with me. :lol: Never understatement what a women scorned will do to get even , they are sneaky. :roll:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've killed my share of things for the sport of it. Before my 40's I lusted after big gator gars like that. Never got one even close. I have mellowed a bit in the last 15 or years and don't have that urge any more. In the last month or so I've seen 2 seven foot plus gator gars that surfaced right near the boat. I am comforted to know that they are still swimming around out there. Two in the wild beats one on the wall any day in my book.

Joey

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
jdupre' said:
I've killed my share of things for the sport of it. Before my 40's I lusted after big gator gars like that. Never got one even close. I have mellowed a bit in the last 15 or years and don't have that urge any more. In the last month or so I've seen 2 seven foot plus gator gars that surfaced right near the boat. I am comforted to know that they are still swimming around out there. Two in the wild beats one on the wall any day in my book.

Joey

Wish we had a "thumbs-up" smilie! That's how I'd rate your post, Joey! 8)

I've mellowed a lot, too. At almost 60, I have gained a deep respect for life. I suspect it's my own mortality facing me down.......

Mike