mullet | SouthernPaddler.com

mullet

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
son caught a few mullet today . he cleaned them and I thru them in the grease . some of you may think there the trash side of fish but they show are good fresh. :D KJ I like them too but there even better than sardines. :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I don't know of anyone who eats Mullet. They are bait fish here. Texas Parks and Wildlife tells me why:

In Florida, striped mullet can be found on the menus of many restaurants, but in the western Gulf of Mexico (Texas and Louisiana waters), they take on an oily taste and are generally not eaten. Instead, mullet are harvested for use as a bait fish.

I guess y'all have different growing conditions, or something.
MIke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mike said:
I don't know of anyone who eats Mullet. They are bait fish here. Texas Parks and Wildlife tells me why:

In Florida, striped mullet can be found on the menus of many restaurants, but in the western Gulf of Mexico (Texas and Louisiana waters), they take on an oily taste and are generally not eaten. Instead, mullet are harvested for use as a bait fish.

I guess y'all have different growing conditions, or something.
MIke

The Atlantic did not have an oil spill to contaminate everything. Since mullet eat vegetation and have gizzards my guess is they are ingesting small amounts of oil residue ( from the spill ) in the Texas and Louisianian section of the Gulf that has settled on or in the vegetation and are retaining some of the oil. I don't think I would want to eat any from that section of the Gulf but some from the west side of Florida around the keys and Florida Bay should be OK.

The ones we have fried or smoked are really some good chow just by them selves or with some fries , cold slaw and ice cold beer. They are like potato chips , you can't eat just one. :lol:

The best of both worlds , smoked or fried ( Borrowed the picture from Outdoorsdownsouth.com )
mullet-smoked-and-fried.png

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Our bay mullet and Atlantic mullet might be in the same family but they are two different fish. Example - Cat family--Lion vs. house cat. Eat bay mullet once and you won't do it again. Great bait.
Bob

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
texastom said:
Hmmm, I've never eaten a lion or a House cat. Which is better?

Depends - the lazy house cat will be better fed and therefore fatter (greasy!). Whereas the lion, who has to work for a living, will be leaner and more heart healthy. :roll:

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
texastom said:
Hmmm, I've never eaten a lion or a House cat. Which is better?

I bet you have and never knew it , especially house cat , Ever eat at a Chinese place ? :roll: :oops:

I got the health dept after one of the spots here locally , keep finding different , tabby's , skin's in the dumpster behind there place. They are no longer in business.
One Chinese restaurant in Sanford was closed for the same thing plus they had a herb garden on there roof , Marijuana. This was back in the early 80's. There meals were quite addictive and dam good. :shock:

Chuck...........

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The old mountain men claimed mountain lion was the best meat you could get.
Chuck They had the Texas Ranger at Galveston Texas because they nearly had a riot over the Vietnamese killing and eating dogs , some ole Texas redneck women caught them skinning her poodle . it nearly got sticky.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck that's why I don,t eat much chineze? yep vieanas and grits would be good too. I guess you have to be mighty hungry to eat some things though? I haven't got that hungry yet on some things. :lol: I guess like the old saying though what you don,t know want hurt you. :wink: :mrgreen:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Ron,
I've heard the same thing about mountain lion being quite tasty. Definitely would be more meat than a tabby cat. I don't think I could eat a house cat anyway. Have you ever smelled that crappy looking food we feed them?
Bob