Muzzle Brakes & Silencers | SouthernPaddler.com

Muzzle Brakes & Silencers

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I reposted from the 2bl bbl .45 to a separate posting.

I have a question. Muzzle brakes do some part of the job of a silencer, by venting off gases before they reach the muzzle. Does that act to quieten the muzzle blast? Would more holes - a Super muzzle brake, so to speak - become a silencer after some number of holes?
I guess I had two questions.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A silencer or suppressor ( your choice on the name ) traps the escaping gas from the weapons bore and muffles the sound , think muffler.
A mussle break lets the gas exit at an angle from the bore of the weapon to reduce the recoil of the weapon but does not muffle the sound of the escaping gas.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
What Chuck told you is 100% correct. They reduce the recoil and increase the noise you hear by humpty dozen percent. We had a .45 cal Springfield Victor that was compansated and that pistol shot sooo easy. You simply HAD to wear ear muffs to shoot it. I can take recoil a lot better than noise.
Bob

dawallace45

Jack

Isn't your state planing to make silencers legal there now with the right federal paper work and tax stamp ? or have they already done it

You after getting one ?

I know several people in the USA with legal silencers and they love them , all report that the process wasn't quite as bad as they expected

David

dawallace45

A mate in Washington state has a small farm and now uses one as the area has become more urbanized from people moving out of the suburbs on to small acreage but bringing there suburban ideas with them , he like to shoot about 50 rounds a afternoon to keep his eye in and make sure his skills don't degrade as he gets older and now he finds that he keeps getting visits from the police who even though know who is doing the shooting say they have to come out when they get a report from some one , he gets on with the local Police and reckons that the silencer was the best way to go to stop having visits ,

He also reckons it's great for small game hunting , doesn't disturb the game , domestic animals or neighbors

Every one in his area knows he shoots and is armed at all times and so now has no real problems with the crack dealers up the road or any one else now , although he reckons he doesn't know who is the bigger nuisance , crack heads or suburbanites

David

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
I reposted from the 2bl bbl .45 to a separate posting.

I have a question. Muzzle brakes do some part of the job of a silencer, by venting off gases before they reach the muzzle. Does that act to quieten the muzzle blast? Would more holes - a Super muzzle brake, so to speak - become a silencer after some number of holes?
I guess I had two questions.
Hi Jack, Silencers tend to be large, about 1000% of bore volume, a silencer contains the sound produced by the muzzle blast. Suppressors tend to be smaller, because they work the opposite way, suppressors do not attempt to contain sound, instead a suppressor prevents any sound from being generated, so there is relatively no sound to contain. A suppressor works by putting a tremendous drag on the propellant column and reversing the direction of the propellant flow, to a limited extent, so by the time the propellant exits the suppressor it is simply not going fast enough to make any loud sounds. A silencer works by having a very large volume, and relatively low pressure, a suppressor works by having a small volume, and the full muzzle pressure. hth

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
jpsaxnc said:
Hi Jack, Silencers tend to be large, about 1000% of bore volume, a silencer contains the sound produced by the muzzle blast. Suppressors tend to be smaller, because they work the opposite way, suppressors do not attempt to contain sound, instead a suppressor prevents any sound from being generated, so there is relatively no sound to contain. A suppressor works by putting a tremendous drag on the propellant column and reversing the direction of the propellant flow, to a limited extent, so by the time the propellant exits the suppressor it is simply not going fast enough to make any loud sounds. A silencer works by having a very large volume, and relatively low pressure, a suppressor works by having a small volume, and the full muzzle pressure. hth

Complete B.S.!

A suppressor is the proper term for what many folks call a silencer. They are one and the same.

Mike

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
Thanks, and I tried to follow it. A silencer absorbs the pulse within volume? And a suppressor rechannels the energy to a state of dissipation. Did I get it somewhere nearly right?
Yes exactly, there is a couple of issues when designing, reversing cones are used to turn the propellant column back on it self, the angles on the reversing cones determines the force pushing back on the propellant coulmn and the force squeezing the propellant column, the cones have an inside angle and an outside angle, the two different angles do the two differnt tasks. "The spacing of the cones is critical". The cones create stages which are pressureized by the propellant, if the projectile is between the cones when the stage is pressureized, the projectile will experience the same drag as the propellant column, and will lose velocity, so the spacing between the cone/baffles is determined by the length of the projectile, for example if the projectile is 1/2" long I place the enterance to the first cone, that distance from the muzzle, that way, just as the back of the projectile is clearing the muzzle, the tip of the projectile has entered the first cone and is blocking the hole in the cone, now the first stage is pressureized and so on through the stages. The smaller the clearence hole through the cones, the more effective the device will be, but this creats a potential problem of the projectile clipping a cone /baffle, which will effect accuracy, if the axial ailinment is not dead on, I've made them with only .005 clearence all the way around. So spacing of cones/baffles plus axial alinment are important. hth

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Correct me if I am wrong but I really do not think I am.
Silencers , for a individual to have one requires a Federal permit , without the permit it is a Federal offense and a person can serve some serious time in a prison. I believe it also the same with the states.

Chuck.

For everyone's information.............................
In the United States, taxes and strict regulations affect the manufacture and sale of suppressors under the National Firearms Act. They are legal for individuals to possess and use for lawful purposes in thirty-nine of the fifty states.[26] However, a prospective user must go through an application process administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), which requires a Federal tax payment of USD $200 and a thorough criminal background check. The USD 200.00 buys a revenue stamp, which is the legal document allowing possession of a suppressor. The market for used suppressors in the U.S. is consequently very poor, which has driven innovations in the field (buyers want the height of technology, because they are basically "stuck" with the purchase). Suppressors are available in other countries for under USD 40,[27] but they can be of crude construction, using cheap materials and baffle designs[citation needed]. The following jurisdictions have explicitly banned any civilian from possessing a suppressor: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia.

The Federal legal requirements to manufacture a suppressor in the United States are enumerated in Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code.[28] The individual states and several municipalities also have their specific requirements.
Oceania

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Guys---Google silencers or suppressors, or go to most book dealers on line and you will find lots of information and small books available on "How to make silencers". Some books are for specific calibers. "How to build a silencer for a .22" is my favorite. Dapper Al. Don'twant to say too much here, but most of the information is available on line. Good Luck. Dapper Al. Oh, in answer to a question asked in one of the posts, Yes Michigan did pass the law to allow possession of silencers by individuals in Michigan. That information is also available on line. Don't have one yet but--------.

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Hi Chuck, I would not want to see anyone get into any trouble, and at the same time I would be disappointed if a civil discussion, was felt to be inappropriate. It's just the freedom of thought and speech thing. It's your living room and I would'nt want to make any waves. James

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jpsaxnc said:
Hi Chuck, I would not want to see anyone get into any trouble, and at the same time I would be disappointed if a civil discussion, was felt to be inappropriate. It's just the freedom of thought and speech thing. It's your living room and I would'nt want to make any waves. James

Just pointing out a fact in case anyone wanted to know and take the appropriate action. Like you I do not want anyone to get into trouble and if they are aware of what they need to do then they can stay out of trouble. Plus I'm sure half of the crew on here has thought of using a suppression/silencer at one time or the other but never said anything. I for one have and more then one time in my years of hunting and shooting but never did.
I'm always up to a good civil discussion since it aids the learning process. :D

Chuck.