My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item. | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since it is imposable to fit any large item inside a Jeep Wrangler I got a Yakima , Spare Time Bike , Rack that attaches to the spare tire on the Jeep.
It locks onto the spare and even doubles as a locking device for the spare so no one can remove the spare without 1st removing the bike rack. To remove it you need the key to engage the red knob which keeps it from spinning and not contacting the locking mechanism. YEP , I Know a person with a big crow bar or saw can remove it but they would have to really work at it. :wink:

Another benefit is I can still open the tail gate without removing the bike or the bike rack and the rack collapses when not in use. Plus the bike is locked to the rack with a 60 inch cable and the same key unlocks the cable lock that unlocks the rack.
Traveling in state or out of state I can stop for a meal and not worry about anyone stealing the bike from the rack.

55480.jpg

Now I can load the bike up and take out to enjoy all of the bike paths the Counties and State has made for bikers to use , even National Parks.
The Jeep is a multipurpose hauler , a Boat Rack on the top , a Bike Rack on the back and the interior for me....... :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Now, Chuck, pick out some intersting, small towns. Take your bike there, unload, and ride around. Faster than afoot, can see better than in a car.
Go to Campmor, take a look at items# 54011 and 57314. These give you ability to carry food & water, stop at farmers' markets and buy goodies, carry rain gear, etc.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack........
When i got the bike , before it left the shop they put this rack on it for me. It is the Topeak Explorier 29er tubular rack. ( For 29 inch tires) You can see the runner where the bag sides on the rack.

This is the Topeak MTX TrunkBag EXP . It slides on the top of the rack and locks into place. The yellow item is the lock that hooks onto the bar across the front of the rack.

That opens to this.
The top expands and the side are panniers for carrying larger items.... ( I haven't tried it yet but I believe they will hold all of my ultralight camping gear since I got the weight and size down to a manageable amount)
thumbnail

Just yesterday I placed an order for there Fuel Tank ( They call it that because of the placement on the bike ) so I will have a place right in front of me where I can carry a canister of Bear Spray ( For Bears or Dogs that want to bite bikers ) and my little Smith & Wesson lightweight 38 special for larger problems.

It's the Topeak Fuel Tank ,Large.
thumbnail

As you can see I like the Topeak items , LOL :lol: That's what the cycle shop stocks and sells.
As you probably have guessed by now , I am rigging it for later on to do some light weight bike camping.

Nov 8 , 2014..........
Picked up a new toy for the Bike , actually for me . :lol:
It's the Sigma 12 12 STS bike speedometer and several other functions included , 12 different functions.
The nice thing is that it is wireless, The sending unit is on the front fork and the receiving unit is on the handlebar.

img_1.gif

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
chuck
post a link to that youtube video if you will.
ron

Here you go......... The third one is a motorcycle but the rest are the guys bicycling.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ycle+day+1

As far as I can gather one of the guys had the Topeak Journey Trailer in some of the shots with stuff stacked on top of the full dry bag.

Some other pictures there was one of the dual wheel trailers but most of the time it was bikes loaded with gear.
The trailer made sense to me , haul more and have a low center of gravity. Have the daily necessity's ( Energy bars and water ) on the bike in small bags.
In one shot , one of the guys was talking abut 100 mile days. :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Do you plan a long trip on a bike?

Nope , Just a lot of short ones , say around 6 to 15 miles. I'm in it for the fun , not WORK except for one trail..
One I would like to do but it has to be in the winter is the 100 mile one around Lake Okeechobee on the Hubert Hoover Dike that surrounds the lake. It is also apart of the Florida Trail and you can camp on the dike during your trip. Most folks take a full week to do it.

A couple of good day runs..............really close to me.

Like this one from Grmini Springs to the Camp Ground at Lake Monroe park. I have camped there in the past before the trail was made.
It will later hook up to Lake Monroe to the south and the Cross Seminole Trail and down to Orlando then from the springs , north to Blue Springs in Volusia county and several different trails which will just about go from one side of the state to the other,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cUy3__LMM

Or the Cross Seminole Trail which takes in a lot of territory , this is the section close to my place. It is also a part of the Florida Trail for hikers and backpackers. It's from Winter Springs to Oviedo.
It is primarily laid out on the old Rail Road right away and the chickens are in Oviedo , they are the Oviedo Chickens and pets at ...Of All Places .. A Pop Eyes Fried Chicken place. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EstC_EpJa4I

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
You mentioned a 2 wheel trailer. That would be more stable and not as susceptible to balance problems. Easier for loading, unloading, and riding slowly on rough terrain.

There is a guy here in town that shops at the Publix Grocery store and has one of these to take his stuff home in.
burley-nomad-yellow-black-side-stock.jpg

Both the Double or the Single wheel would be good for hauling a lot of Camping Gear or Groceries. Definitely would get more stuff in the double wheel one.
The single wheel one leans with the bike when you take a bend in the road and there is only one tire to worry about. Plus it tracks right behind the bike and makes a narrower package.

I get a tickle on Sundays when we stop at the grocery , there is a couple that shops there and they ride a tandem bike ( A bike built for two ) with one of the trunks like I have that has the panniers built into it to carry there goodies home.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Don't know about comparative prices, but my vote would go to the 2 wheeler. If I towed one, then the other, may change my mind. But, probably not. If I had the one wheeler, that fender would be gone early on. More decorative than functional.
Just my thoughts.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I think they are using the BOB Trailers.........A visual reason the single tire trailers are used by them.

This is what they had to say on Youtube.......
Uploaded on Oct 29, 2009

See a couple exerpts of our epic adventure as we rode our mountain bikes along the Great Divide Trail from Banff, Canada to the Mexican border at Antelope Wells. The trip involved some 4500 km of riding; which included 29 Continental divide crossings, a cumulative 55 kilometers of ascending, and a peak elevation of nearly 12,000 ft.We started in Banff on June 22 2009, and finished two months later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yvXrQ1DgzU

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thank's Ron , It is a interesting web site to dig threw. :D

The Fuel Tank came today.

thumbnail

Have it on the bike and it will take my Smith & Wesson snub nose 38 or the Large container of Bear Spray but not both at the same time. I guess what goes in it is dependent on where I will be on the bike.
Probably the 38 and my wallet most of the time around and the little Jogger ( pocket ) container of the Bear spray.

The large container........
Something I really want with me in the Ocala National Forest area or around the Wekiva River and it's bear populations
The total length of this is 9 - 1/2 inches and will spray out to 35 feet.
18%20super_magnum_bear_spray.gif

http://www.bearspray.com

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Sparky
I have been reading a lot of the trips they do on that site , There are some crazy folks on there and way tougher than me.
Of course I am reading about the tadpole trike bikes.
Ron