My Next Project | SouthernPaddler.com

My Next Project

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
I am working on a 15'6" UJ Pirogue yet I am already thinking about my next project. I am 6'1" and 300 lbs and want something along the lines of a Yost SOF 17 to 18 ft in length YAK. I live near 3 lakes that are miles long and offer nice secluded paddeling in the fall. I currently paddle a Dagger Axis 10.5. Length? Width? Suggestions???

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
Just to clarify. My actual concern on this boat is how wide should I build it to make it sufficently bouyent for my weight + a little gear. I am thinking a beam of 24".

Do any of you have a preferance between Yost or Kudzu styled boats???

dawallace45

Floatingbear

What are you going to do with it , do you intend to fish out of it , take photographs or such ? if so then it would be different than if you just like to paddle non stop

I'm 6'2" and about 240 lb and because of a problem with the inner ear my balance isn't 100% , I balance with my eyes , I need a horizon line to know which way is up , so my needs may be much more than yours , I really can't handle a kayak more narrow than 24" and even then only if I don't stop paddling , I can't fish out of one or take pictures because of the need to keep it braced , my Laker at 26" is the absolute narrowest I can handle and still fish out of and really do feel more comfortable with some thing about 30" wide , I've found when some thing big takes my line hard it can put me in the water quick , my needs are for a very stable fishing platform

Was considering building one of the Percy Blandford designs of around 15 ft by 30" to 32" wide or maybe getting Matt to design some thing similar but due to shoulder injuries I've finally come to grips with the idea that my long term kayaking rests with getting a Hobie Outback with mirage drive

Hell I can't even get my butt into the cockpit of some of the 24" wide craft available , looked at one about 5 weeks ago , the cockpit was 18" wide , my butts about 19"

David

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
I am in the process of building the 15'6" X 26" X 12 UJ pirogue for fishing. The kayak would be for paddeling pleasure and maybe photo ops baisically just to spend time on the water in solitude and possibly some fishing or just transport to an area to bank fish. My Dagger is 28" wide and just feels a little wide for a Kayak.

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
Loved the Yak and the SOF Canoe or was that a Pirogue. I am guessing you are a teacher. I am starting to lean more toward a 26" beam for stability on my SOF Yak. The UJ that I'm working on will be about 30" at the water line. Thanks Woodman!