my swamp pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

my swamp pirogue

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Well guys, I had never built a true pirogue when I started this. I printed a free copy of the LSU pirogue online and followed it along with my own ideas and a whole lot of ya'lls ideas. So really all of you helped me to do it. I am trying to post a few picture and mabye I'll learn a little more from you. Them guys from over at D-Springs La. don't know how much they influenced this build. Man they are good. I saw some of their builds at the outdoor store.I t ried earlier to post but couldn't make it work. I posted this morning and got it first time. I'll get it after while. I got a hard head.
Picture%20056_9.jpg

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
BNboat09.jpg

well that is kinda my build on the swamp pirogue. You guys look it over and then I will elobrate and post a picture or two of that pirogue like boat in the background . It is what I have made the most off. Thanks ya'll.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As Joey observed (somewhere on here), "We are little boys, playing at some fantasy and fun. Just, little boys."

(slowly raising hand here, looking around slyly to see if other hands are also going up, trying to look unconcerned .... then, deciding to yell) GUILTY!

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Picture%20010_38.jpg

Well this is a picture of the boat That was asked about. They Are simalar to pirogues. Easy paddlers. The ends are about 18' wide. and 4" thick. Unless a transom is needed . It is then taller. The sides flare out at 20 or 25 degrees. They are cut back either 2, 3, or 4' for the desired rake. The longer flat in the center the better they track. Some require small keel strips and some don't. Most people put them on and drag them around on them. The sides can be 10 to 12" deep. If they are too tall they sink in the water and cause more drag. All have white oak strips 1 1/4" wide for a rubrail glued on top of the sides. Then another 3/4" strip screwed on top of it until the desired depth is achievd. When it becomes battered up it is easily changed. This particulsr boat was built for a guy to pull his Lab and decoys behind the pirogue in this post. You can see him on the Neches River in Teas. That is where he lives and where the log that all my boats so far have been built from. I got enough left for about 4 more. I guess I need to go see them guys live over in D-Springs since I already been accused of snooping roun there. HY!These boats seem to haul a little more payload tha a regular Pirogue. They look real pretty hauling a big ole Hog and me out of the swamp.

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
I hope this gives you an Idea of what we paddle around in the woods here with. It is amusing to see different boats in different areas for different uses. I hope when I grow up(ha ha) I will become a boat builder. About the time I get good I guess I'll Kick da bucket. Mabye this forum will influence some more people to build. Keep up the good post ya'll.