My upcoming trip | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

My upcoming trip

islandpiper

Jack, old buddy.......I called the Doc today about that reversal. I got so scared last night it seemed like the only thing to do.......then I started looking into some facial reconstruction..you were right, of course. This is what i saw when I looked into the mirror......that camera's shot now, but at least you can see what I saw. Piper
Jack__sm_sz_.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
That is one ugly feller. (I see Chuckus Uranus sent you an email)

This picture - posted in nether regions of you home, granary, barn, or bordello - will scare away most mice & ruinous vermin.

Darn Jack....... My neighbor ... now x-neighbor saw it and moved to Tennessee the next day. Some folks just can not handle anything from the twi-light-zone....:lol:

Chuckles...........

islandpiper

Jack, I toweled the fog off the mirror and got a new camera and now this is what I see in the mirror. Who'd have thought that just a little shower fog and cat hair on the mirror could have made me look so much like you?

guess I won't have that reversal surgery on my new cornea, I'm liking the results so far.

Piper

p5.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Sharp eyed pal Keith,

The Master of Flowbizness made him a moderation fella, so I figger ya kin sue him fer harassment? That way ya kin soon own this cafe, a jeep, some pirogues, a chuckwagon 'n a computer. I think he gits ta keep all the V-neck t-shirts, hiz deck shoes 'n a hammock.

No....wait.....that wuz if it wuz a divorce. I reckon he kin git outta this by spanking Truthful Jack....like when the Penguin whacked Jake 'n Elwood. I better send ya one of our "25/75" agreements jest in case there turns out ta be some dough in it.
540.gif

regards
bearridge
shade tree legal clinic

If there be a principle that ought not to be questioned within the United States, it is that every man has a right to abolish an old government and establish a new one. This principle is not only recorded in every public archive, written in every American heart, and sealed with the blood of a host of American martyrs, but is the only lawful tenure by which the United States hold their existence as a nation. James Madison

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I better send ya one of our "25/75" agreements jest in case there turns out ta be some dough in it.
540.gif

regards
bearridge
shade tree legal clinic

Yep........ And that pearl of legal wisdom came from the Dean of the Shade Tree Legal Clinic & Paddlin Geezer Canoe Clud ( Lately retired from the Shade Tree Legal Clinic )

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words ...... Judge for yourself.
0b90030ef4d3a9299fb1a507fe3eb99a0_medium.jpg

Chuck

islandpiper

It is now just abut five months since the surgery, and on the fast track for stitch removal. I went in yesterday and had six of the remaining eight of them clipped ( PING!) and pulled. No pain, just that pinging sound when they are clipped. Here is the newest pic:
two%20stitches%20left.jpg

What looks like a round contact lens on my eye is actually the new (used) cornea and the junction is more visible without the radial stitches holding it down at the edge.

In three weeks I should be able to begin having a contact lens fitted and made. That will go a long way toward making my life "normal", whatever that means, again. I have not driven since October so that has eliminated my pirogue paddling fun, etc.

The plan is now to have the other eye grafted in March. If it is before the St. Pat's season I won't be piping any of my regular jobs, dammit. If it is after, I will be playing the regular New Orleans parades and St. Pat's festivities, my favorite time of the year.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers as I have lived through this small but very sidnificant part of my life!

Cheers , Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
That will go a long way toward making my life "normal", whatever that means, again.
Friend Keith,

I see ya joined up rite after the Independence Day back in '06. I dont read playin' cards 'er tea leaves, but "normal" aint likely part of yer future. Jest keep the patch 'n git a parrot. Mebbe a Jolly Roger over yer door?

Ya seen how oldyaker iz callin' out "avast"? Well, that iz pirate talk fer "howdy pardner". When the geezers git tagether, we do a heap of avasting 'n talk a lotta "keelhaul". Reckon we oughta join up with Javier 'n write "The Keelhaul Blues", fer mandolin 'n two bagpipes? 8) 8) 8)

regards
bearridge

God made man before woman so as to give him time to think of an answer for her first question. Unknown

islandpiper

OK, just in case you give a hoot, here is the update. Last monday, Feb 12, I was to appear at the Eye Clinic, have the surgeon pass on my graft and forward me to the Optometrist for a contact lens fitting. I was really expecting, as were the doctors, that I would be leaving the clinic SEEING.

Well, four tries with the vision measurement tools ( which is better one or two?) and no real improvement......several trial fittings of normal size contacts......no improvement.

I still see a stack of images, say 20 or so, of everything with the graft. With correction and the contact in place I see a smear to the right of everything, much like things were freshly painted, and then just SMEARED off to the side.

So, off I went to have me retina surface mapped, all the fluid in my eye examined, the optic nerve examined and so forth. Many internal pressure tests and more surface topographical mapping of the replaced cornea......and finally a very close up and detailed inspection of the lens. This last search revealed evidence of cataracts forming in the grafted eye, not unusual but happening sooner than they typically expect. These can be caused by the trauma to the eye in surgery and the prednesone I use for anti-rejection.

Anyway, the plan changed from a simple lens on the graft and a new cornea on my left eye, to a month delay and then a graft and a lens replacement on the left (as there is a cataract in it, too)......and nothing done on the right eye for now. This will leave me with partial vision in the right eye and virtuallly none in the left for several months.

I guess I won't be building that OKWATA kayak for a while, Matt. Dammit.

As usual......and I hope you dont get pissed off when I suggest it.......I'd appreciate it if you guys checked the "cornea donor" box on your driver's license. Your silmple gift of corneas you don't need any longer will help several other people see again. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and support as I trudge along on this journey.

Cheers, Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang.......piper. Dang.

regards 'n good wishes
bearridge

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art. Tom Stoppard

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper-san, you are one gutsy guy. Your courage and fortitude are an example to us weaklings. You are a tough old bird.

Course, ugly as you are, it may be a blessing that you can't see into a mirror too well. That smearing you see isn't bad eyesight. (sigh) You just sort of slide off into infinity on one side, kinda natural like. Women like it, I've heard.

islandpiper

Actually, Kayak Jack, there's no guts involved as that would indicate that I actually had a choice and took the hard way. I just play the cards I'm dealt, as anyone does. If I was really gutsy I'd never mention my problem and just keep it to myself.

As far a woment are concerned, there's only one that really flips my switch. Otherwise things get too confusing. Last week the UPS man came into the shop with a package and was sillouettted against the big show windows in the front. Without really being able to focus I said, "Hi Pat" ( the usual guy)......well, it turned out to be Debbie...... Really can't wait to get my vilsion back, I'm probably missing a lot.

Piper