My upcoming trip | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

My upcoming trip

islandpiper

Thanks Guys!! I'll be thinking of you all while I'm laying on the gurney tormorrow morning waiting for the left eye re-build.

As for the old geezer in the mirror.......I figure as long as I can see him there, it's gonna be a good day. On the morning you look into the mirror and don't see anyone looking back, you can be sure that ALL THE RULES HAVE CHANGED. Go to the closet and see if your cloud-white gown has been delivered yet.

I really wanted to take my pirogue out to the marsh on Sunday. My wife says I can't go till I can tell a pair of wood-ducks from big ole Gator eyes swiming along.......so I figure I may be able to take a paddle about August first.

After today I'll be off-line for a while. Even with one eye working, the motivation to sit down and type won't be back for a couple of days I don't suppose.

Cheers, Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Over the months, this expatriate from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has become a good buddy of mine. Demented, driven by madness, body ravaged by diseases unmentionable in polite public, and generally a low-down dirty cur, he has a few socially redeeming graces (which we are still seeking to discover).

Funny, how a couple of geezers here in an electronic world can bond. But, aye god I like the old duffer. He ain't too shabby.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Demented, driven by madness, body ravaged by diseases unmentionable in polite public, and generally a low-down dirty cur, he has a few socially redeeming graces (which we are still seeking to discover).

I take exception to that , I am not a low down dirty cur........ I TAKE BATHS. I am a clean low down , not so dirty cur , if'n you were referring to me. By the way I sure don't have any redeeming social graces except for my snoring and the ability to pass gas at any given opportunity , when called for. :lol:

Piper ... I am just trying to take some of Kayak jacks Heat off you , Jezeeeee I almost baked him in the Islands , next time I will succeed. Yum , Yum , Roasted Jack....... :mrgreen:

I am still looking for Jacks trip report ........ I can see it now........ I went , I Paddled , I Camped and they concord me. Limped home with sand an grits in my shorts and will never be normal again ( Like he was ever normal ).:roll:

Chuck. : :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Hey Piper,

H O W A R E Y A ?

K I N Y A R E A D T H I S

I F Y A K I N R E A D T H I S Y E R O K A Y

IF YA KIN READ THIS, I HOPE YA GIVE THE DOCTOR A TIP

regards
bearridge

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper-san called to day; he survived the most recent operation. They pumped out some of the eyeball fluid and induced an air bubble. He's now flat on his back (wife serving him hand and foot, poor dear, bless her heart) so the bubble presses up to help hold everything together in the outer eye.

Though he's irascible and degenerate, I'll pray for his eyes, and maybe selected parts of the rest of him too.

islandpiper

First, let me THANK EVERYONE who has included me and my family in their prayers and positive thoughts, and even Kayak Jack who has taken time out of his busy schedule to write the most flattering insults I have ever been lucky enough to have aimed at me. The latest surgery was not without complications and I spent today in eye-ball Hell, with my lovely and faithful wife holding my hand so that my moaning didn't upset the rest of the patients. In short, the first bubble didn't work, so today my eyeball, known in the trade as "the globe" was over-inflated and I spent about seven years between nine AM and three PM waiting for the pain to reduce. I won't elaborate on the inflation and reduction methodology.......trust me, you don't want to try it. Go out for a roor canal and request that they don't use any novacaine, that would be more fun.......really.

Anyway, the doctor team feels that the tissues are now in contact and healling should continue without incident. I'll be vack in the exam chair in New Orleans at seven AM tomorrow and with God's grace things will still be OK........If not, they will need some tie down straps and better drugs to proceed. No guesses can be made regarding the eventual useability of this eye. I may or may not ever be able to tell Woodducks from Gator Eyes.......hmmm.

Again, thanks for all your support. There's beer in the fridge when you stop by sometime. Cheers, Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper

All of the surgeries I have had done to me , from wisdom teeth being removed ( all 4 at one time) and I woke up when they were chiseling one of them out. To the heart , appendicitis and even the heart attack later on sound like a cake walk compared to what you have gone thru.

"O"Ooop's forgot the lazier work on the left eye and the results from it stinks , only 20-2000 vision in it. The hemorrhoid carving ( three different times) that was not a lot of fun either.
But as Jack would say they have made me into a perfect A$% Hole.:lol:

I do not envy you at all and wish that everything works out for you.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

eye

IP,
Nothing but good thoughts and prayers headed south from the northern part of the state.

And I ain't planning on running out of either , so use all you want. There will always be more headed your way.

islandpiper

hey Bald Cypress, you might have to come down and borrow my Pirogue sometime just so it gets some water under it. We are haeaded up your way sometime in June if I can travel to check out La Teck for my daughter. WE will try to look you up and share a beer. Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Hey piper,

I always liked pirates.....an eye patch, a parrot, some rum, the Carribean, a black spot, buried treasure, the black crossed bones flag, flip flops 'n plunder. These days they jest haul dope. :cry:

regards
bearridge

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Hannibal Lector

islandpiper

Funny thing, through all of this I have had lots of people praying for me....and with me (this is the deep south remember).....and my request is always, Lord, Give Me Patience.........I have good doctors, they have good tools and a back-up system, and lots of experience.......what the whole thing is short of is PATIENCE. I want to see now....and must wait for at least four months to start seeing anying of value....and a year to let it all settle in and heal completely. Knowing the power of prayer and positive thought, I am bloddy happy that not many are praying against me. :eek:

We left home again today at 5:30 am to drive into New Orleans. At seven the doctor pronounced that the tissue layers had stayed together overnight and that the needle holes were all sealed up. Yippee!!

Now, lots of topical antibiotics and Steroids......and time......and I'll be ready to build that new Yak that JEM designed the OKWATA.

I'll give it s few days to clear up and then post a picture. The stitches are completely different than the first time. If I posted it now, you'd run the risk of bad dreams. Needless to say I sent one to Kayak Jack right away!!

Cheers......filnally.........Piper

islandpiper

OK, OK.......the pirate picture...." Here we see Mr. Piper, resting comfortably and still enjoying a bit of the general anestesia coursing through is veins. Notice his fashionable SpringTime Eyepatch in Hospital White and the backless gown.....every pirate's dream combination for a big day in the Surgical Ward" Piper

piratepiper_1.jpg