Nantahala May '09 | SouthernPaddler.com

Nantahala May '09

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang this is a big link 'n I hope it works. We jest got back 'n aint had much time fer trip reports. Click on the "next image". They took four pichurs of me havin' a hard time in the high water. [It had rained fer 11 days before we made it up there.] Miz Bear took a pichur of what happened after the last pichur.

regards
bearridge

See link below. The high dollar pichur takers took those.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
After I shrink 'em, I caint see 'em worth a dang. Looks like I gotta buy a Photoshop. Ole Steve Jobs iz a great fella, but not when it comes ta pichurs. I dont reckon it will do no harm ta post some on here. See if ya got any of my good side........wearin' a stylish hat. [chuckle]

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Let me know if this comes up too big. Webshots sez it aint....somethin' bout 600 pixies. I aint been pixilated in quite a spell....but I come close on the Brazos. [chuckle] Miz Bear took this one. She done good with her new camera.

Steve

That's a great shot, Bill. . . If you can make the Clearwaterwith me, and it looks like there'll be plenty of that white stuff on that run, I hope Karen comes along. . . She and Susie can drive the river while we paddle and have our fun. . . and join us at the campsites. . . highway 12 follows the Clearwater pretty much the whole way.

I've tried that link a few times but can't get it . . . keeps sayin' the server has timed out due to lack of activity. . .

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bearridge said:
http://www.noc.com/index.php/buy-photos.html
I like this one:
IMG_0007.JPG

Kinda looks like you're trying to schooch your butt up out of the water. :lol:

I did the Nantahala in a duckie years ago. Great fun. I'm pretty sure I looked the same, if not a little bit scared'er :shock:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Russell,

I didnt aim ta be in that spot, but the river wuz pushin' hard 'n I kinda went where it wanted. I try not ta go down it backwards either. I put on clean drawers later.

regards
bearridge

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I dont know why, but sometimes "fun" comes with "terror". Since Payson got Duke Power ta bump up the water level up jest a little (more raft bizness), I dont figger I will ever take the Falls fer granted. Heck, it haz scairt me ever dang time I ever shoved off jest above the long "S" curve. Last October Ramona tole us that even tho she 'n Lucien paddled the Ocoee more'n 60 times in a open boat, the Nantahala Falls always scairt her more. I caint quite see that cuz its some big, nasty, mean, big water on the Ocoee, but in a way I know what she means. When ya cross over inta the geezerhood, blowin' out worries ya more'n back when yer fulla beans. When I first went up there, I paddled the whole dang river 5 days in a row. Then I begun ta paddle "parts" of the river. Then I begun ta take a day off after the drive up.....jest in case I needed ta grab a practice nap.

This time I only run the Falls once.....'n it dang near got me. In that one pichur, the river had me.....but I come back 'n kept the water under the boat. It really wuz a close call. The margin of error seems ta git smaller each year. I keep tryin' ta grab some eddies I never caught before 'n see how many I can catch on the way down.....when I reckon I oughta be jest playin' it safe. The last few backwards runs come frum tryin' ta catch the eddy behind that big rock on river right....beside the top hole. Hittin' that bottom hole backwards sends a chill up my back ever time I look back on it. I made it okay backwards the last 2-3 times I missed the eddy 'n found myself lookin' upriver, but I dont really wanna keep pullin' out a last minute save. I figger them rocks keep gittin' harder each year 'n I know I been gittin' softer.

Without all the rain west Carolina in May, the rest of that river haz a heap a nice rapids that aint all that scairy. It iz eazy ta pull out at the huge concrete ramp jest above the Falls. Nobody comes down there 'n makes ya run the Falls. [The crowds like ta watch the open boats cuz rafts 'n kayaks bore the snot outta them.....like people who watch car racin'.] [chuckle]

When I grow up, I reckon I will quit runnin' them Falls.

Me'n Swamprat barely seen any open boats this time.....on cars 'n trucks 'er on the rivers. We ran upon 3-4 who had ole Daggers like we both paddle. I do my best ta pick a time ta go up there before the little school girls git out 'n when the river 'n the campgrounds dont have hardly nobody in 'em. Even so, there musta been a hunerd folks in rafts, a few dozen in duckies 'n kayaks 'n near bout 15 open boats. I did not enjoy the NOC. All my ole memories make me sad ta see it like it iz today. I feel like a stranger in a very strange land. It aint nuthin' like it wuz in the ole days. It took me a long time ta see it like it iz. I reckon I been usin' my ole eyes ta see it like it used ta be. They even started addin' a big deck ta Slow Joe's so it kin become a "pub". [That iz Yuppie fer "bar".] Everthin' they sell costs top dollar. The whole NOC iz jest a big bizness nowadays. I heard they opened up anuther store over in Gatlinburg. That iz so far frum the ole store with the smooth wood floor, the wood stove 'n the ole time gas pumps out front it might be Mister Hyde....instead of Dr. Jekyll.

regards
bearridge the melancholy

gatormac

Mar 21, 2004
mims fla
Bear, I am sorta new at paddling as you know...........however it looks like you were paddling the canoe sideways........ How do you do that???

Mac

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I blame that on the fact that I didnt have on a stylish hat. When dressed rite, I head downstream, not sideways. Good ta see ya post on here. Game 'n fish law musta took yer license agin? [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

I was sitting on a bean bag chair, naked, eating Cheetos the other day when Robert Tilton came on TV. He's a televangelist out of Dallas. He looked at me and said, "Are you lonely?" Yeah. "Have you spent half your life in bars pursuing sins of the flesh?" This guy's good! "Are you sitting in a bean bag chair naked eating Cheetos?"... Yes, sir! "Do you have the urge to get up and send me a thousand dollars?" Ha, ha close! I thought he was talking about me there for a second!   Ron White