Nearly finished with the finish on my Coho | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Nearly finished with the finish on my Coho

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dan,

Most excellent. The boat iz a beaut. The scenery iz mitey purty, but cold lookin'. Yesterday the bank sign sez "95". :cry: I'm headed fer the Smokies in a few days ta cool down.

regards
bearridge

No operatic star has yet died soon enough for me. Sir Thomas Beecham

( you will cool down , mid 70 during the day and upper 40 at night .. Chuck)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dan,

Your boat is magnificent mate. I too cringe every time I see her sitting on rocks like that..

You have impressed the hell out of me. One day, I would like to be able to build a boat that well.

WestCoastPaddler

Thanks everyone. :oops:

Mick, one day I'd like to get together with you and go for a paddle -- and the boats don't need to be shiny, any old piece of junk that floats will be fine by me. :D

This boat is going to be used as though it were any other glass boat -- it will be my primary boat for paddling so it's going to get used a lot -- I know it's going to get scratched and that's OK. The final finish (System 3 two-part linear polyurathane) is incredibly durable and extremely tough. Varnish can't hold a candle to this stuff. All going well, I'll be starting another kayak building project in the next weeks and it will be finished with Linear Polyurathane as well.

The scenery is in the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. The Gulf Islands are a group of islands between southern Vancouver Island and the BC mainland (around Vancouver). They're a kayakers paradise -- perhaps a little too easy access than I'd prefer but this time of the year one can generally have a campsite (or an entire small island) to themselves. The temperatures weren't what I'd call warm, but it wasn't cold -- many of us were wearing t-shirts most of the time during the day -- it cooled off a bit at night but it was still warm enough to wear a light sweater.

This past weekend we had our 2nd Annual WestCoastPaddler Spring Campout on Portland island (a very casual, no agenda, no schedules camping trip) and the twenty-five or so of us who showed up had the entire campsite to ourselves. Quite nice really. I took the previous photos while on our spring campout.

Here's another shot from last weekend -- as you can see, I wasn't the only one with a wood boat. My Coho is second from the left, and the Pygmy Double is mine as well:

boats-on-the-beach.jpg

Thanks again for all the kind words guys.

arrondo

Sep 28, 2006
Seattle, Washington
Boomhauer said:
I like the one 3rd from the right :lol: :wink:

What a great weekend it was! 8)

That one is nice. Needs yellow polka dots, tho... :lol:

Seriously, Dan, you did one helluva job. It's been great watching it go together over at your (plural) website. You showed a lot of tricks I'm looking forward to using. :wink:

(I hope Chuck doesn't mind me plugging your site - as long as it doesn't end in "Dot Net," right?)

( Do you mean this one he has http://www.westcoastpaddler.com not at all. Chuck.)

Scooter

Dan, beautiful don't even touch your kayak. It's amazing. Enough to inspire me to build one, although a simple pirogue pushed me to my limits with the glassing, so I better shuddup and get ahold of myself right now. That's kooky-talk. :roll: