New Dehydrator recipes? | SouthernPaddler.com

New Dehydrator recipes?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I've gotten a new dehydrator with no directions anyone have any experience with one? What about your recipes or favorite foods to dehydrate. Jerky and vegetables or fruit maybe whole dishes.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I do fruits and veggies, I get my jerky from the neighbor he always has a batch going. We trade items.
Jack has done some jerky, I think.

If you want to put your drier to work then I would suggest that you locate a copy of Teresa Marrone's book the Back Country Kitchen by Northern Trail Press P.O. Box 19296 Minneapolis, MN 55419-9296.

She covers everything about drying all the foods for camping and has a lot of good Recipes in it for camping.
The two I have listed here are just examples of what she has in the book. My copy cost me $14.95 and is worth every penney.

Chuck.

This is called Easy Jerky.
From Teresa Marrone's Book The Back-Country Kitchen

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef or venison
Beer-B-Que Jerky marinade or spicy Teriyaki Jerky marinade ...* see how to make at the end of the instructions.
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring

Remove fat and gristle from the meat. Slice with the grain into 1/8 in thick strips (meat is easier to cut if partially frozen) Combine all of the marinade ingredients and liquid smoke in a nonmetallic bowel, stir to mix. Add meat. Cover with plastic wrap and stick in the frig overnight. Then drain the meat. pat with paper towels and arrange the meat strips on the dryer racks so the pieces do not touch each other. Dry at 120 F until jerky is leathery but still pliable, 3 to 5 hours.
Keep jerky refrigerated for long term storage.

Beer-B-Que Marinade
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 cup beer
2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
1 teaspoon black pepper.
Mix all of it in a NON Metallic bowl.

Spicy Teriyaki Jerky marinade
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
2 tablespoons crushed dried hot peppers.
Mix everything in a NON metallic bowl.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here are some recipes for jerky - from Mz Jean.

Turkey Jerky
1 lb Turkey breast or tenderloins boned and skinned; 1 Tbsp Salt; ½ c Water; 2 Tbsp Brown sugar; firmly packed; 2 clove Garlic; pressed or minced OR 1/4 tsp Garlic powder; ½ small Onion; minced OR 1/4 tsp Onion powder; 1 tsp Pepper; ½ tsp Liquid smoke; Nonstick cooking spray
Rinse meat and pat dry. Pull off and discard any fat and connective tissue. To make meat easier to slice, freeze it until it feels firm, but not hard. Cut turkey into 1/8 to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut breast piece with or across the grain, and tenderloins lengthwise.
In a bowl, stir together salt, water, brown sugar, garlic, onion, pepper, and liquid smoke. Add turkey and mix well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours; meat will absorb most of the liquid.
Depending on drying method, evenly coat dehydrator racks, (you need 3, each about 10 by 13 in.) or metal racks (to cover a 10- by 15-inch baking pan) with nonstick cooking spray. Lift turkey strips from liquid, shaking off excess, and lay strips close together, but not overlapping, on racks.
In a dehydrator: Arrange trays as manufacturer directs and dry at 140 until a cool piece of jerky (remove from dehydrator and let stand about 5 minutes) cracks and breaks when bent, about 4 ½ to 5 hours.
In an oven: Set at 150-200, place pan on center rack; prop door open about 2 inches. Dry until a piece of jerky cracks and breaks when bent (see above), about 3-5 hours.
Let jerky cool on racks, then remove. Serve or store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place up to 3 weeks, in the refrigerator up to 4 months, or longer in the freezer. Makes about 7 ounces.

TERIYAKI TURKEY JERKY: Prepare turkey jerky as above, omitting salt and water. Add 1/4 cup soy sauce and 2 tsps Worcestershire.

Teriyaki Beef Jerky:
1/3 cup brown sugar; 1/4 cup salt; 2 cup teriyaki sauce; 1 cup water; 1 cup burgundy or red wine; ½ tsp. onion powder; ½ tsp. pepper; ½ tsp. garlic powder; 1 shot whiskey (optional); 7 lb. steak
Trim all fat from the meat. Slice meat with the grain about 1/4 inch to ½ inch thick. Place in Marinade and leave overnight or for less than 8 hours. Remove from brine and hang strips on shishkabab skewers. Smoke for 12 to 16 hours depending on how dry you prefer your jerky. Use 3 pans full of hickory chips and chunks in early stages of drying cycle.

Hawaiian Style Jerky:
2 lb Flank steak; 3/4 c Soy sauce; 2 Tbsp Hawaiian salt; 1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar; 1 Clove garlic; minced; 1 Piece ginger; crushed; 1 Red chili pepper; crushed (optional)
Cut beef into strips about 1 1/3 inch wide. Combine all other ingredients and soak beef in the sauce overnight. If you have a drying box, place the meat in hot sun for two days, bringing it in at night. If drying in the oven, set oven to 175 degrees. Place meat on a rack such as a cake cooking rack. Place rack on a cookie sheet and dry meat in oven for 7 hours. Keep in refrigerator.

Deer Jerky Marinade:
3 lb Deer meat, thinly sliced; 3/4 c Wine, dry; 1/3 c Lemon juice; 1/4 c Onion, minced; 1/4 c Brown sugar; 2 tsp Liquid smoke; 1 tsp Seasoned salt; 1/4 tsp Pepper; 3 Bay leaves
Marinade deer meat for 24 hours in the marinade mixture, covered, in a cold part of the refrigerator. Turn meat several times. Remove meat, spreading out to bring to room temp. Place on greased racks in a smoker and smoke at a low heat (160-190 degrees) for 5 to 7 hours, until meat becomes slightly translucent and darkly red, near black. Store in plastic bags in refrigerator.

Deer Jerky:
Deer, sliced 1/8" thick; 2 Tbsp Hickory smoked salt; 1 Tbsp Garlic salt; 2 Tbsp Mono sodium glutamate; 4 Tbsp Seasoned pepper; 2/3 c Soy sauce; 1/3 c Worcester sauce smoked; Tabasco sauce to taste.
Sprinkle meat with dry mixture, both sides. Drape on oven racks without touching while oven heats to 200 degrees. Place in oven with door open 2-3 inches. After one hour, baste with sauce, repeating every half-hour for the remaining two hours at 200 degrees. Now drop oven to 170 degrees and finish meat in 45 to 90 minutes.

Chinese Jerky:
3 lb Steak; 3 Garlic cloves, minced; 1 Tbsp Ginger, fresh, minced; 2 Tbsp Sesame oil; ½ c Soy sauce; 2 tsp Red peppers, dried, crushed; 1 Tbsp Honey; ½ tsp White pepper; 4 Tbsp Dry Sherry
Cut meat diagonally crosswise into 1/4" thick, 2" wide strips. Trim away any fat or gristle. Transfer to a non-metallic pan. Add the other ingredients and marinade 24 hours. Arrange meat on racks and let dry at cool room temperature overnight (do not refrigerate). Preheat oven to 225. Line two large baking sheets with foil and set wire racks on top. Arrange the meat on racks in single layer. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 175 F and continue drying meat another 4 hrs or more. Leave meat on racks to cool and continue drying for several hours before bagging it.

Foodchannel.com Alton Brown shows how to dehydrate with just a 20" window fan and furnace filters. I used home made screen racks and the fan. Half of the jerky batch was on the dehydrator, and half on the fan at ambient temperature. Both dried about same time, and were indistinguishable form each other. Fan ran cheaper than heating element in dehydrator.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hie thyself to the hardware and buy some of the fiberglass window screen. (I thought it was plastic, but it's fiber glass.) Cut sheets to fit your dehydrator shelves.

You can dry fruits and vegetables either fresh or canned. Dry some peas and carrots. Make home made noodles (1 cup flour, 1 egg, 1 pinch salt. Mix together, roll out, cut into noodle strips, dry well, pack in a Ziploc bag.) Now, a can of chicken (or chicken jerky) along with noodles and dried veggies makes a helluva nice pot of soup.

I also nuke up winter squash (acorn buttercup, or butternut), let it cool, and scoop it out onto Saran wrap. Spread it evenly about 1/8" inch thick and dehydrate. Break it up into small chunks and pack in Ziploc bag. Rehydrate with a bit of hot water, butter, salt, & pepper. Very good along with meal.

Virtually any food can be dehydrated. Some are better than others when rehydrated. I have an apple peeler-corer-slicer. Slice up a bunch of apples, dip them in the vitamin C stuff to prevent browning. Blot on a towel, and dehydrate. These are excellent along with dry roasted peanuts, jerky, M&M's, dried cherries, nuts of any kind, etc. I buy my dried cherries at Sam's.

Get a can or three of sliced pineapple. Dry the rings. These are excellent eating.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm more sentimental then Jack , I went to the yard goods store and got some bridal vale , then trimmed it to fit the trays for when I dry items that might fall threw the slots in the dehydrators trays.

The bridal vale works really good , does not pick up the aroma of what you are drying and can be washed and reused , just like the brides do. :lol:

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I guess I didn't look hard enough for the directions they were inside it. so at least I have an idea as to how long it will take to dry stuff. Good idea on the homemade noodles I make the best. Not sure on what to start off with I'm thinkin veggies for a start. Kinda in expensive if I goof'em up. If the guys saw me goin inta the bridal shop around here the rumors would start flyin might do that anyway just to watch and listen to the gossip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
If the guys saw me goin inta the bridal shop around here the rumors would start flyin might do that anyway just to watch and listen to the gossip.

So who cares, the best explanation is none :wink: So let them guess about what is going on. :lol:

Besides when they are talking about you they are giving everyone else a break. :p Something I really enjoy doing.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Paul,

Here's a simple thing to start with. Slice an apple, peel or not - I prefer not, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice, sprinkle on a bit of cinnamon, dry the slices until leathery.

In the same batch, drain a can of peas or whole kernel corn, spread it out and dry it too.

In the same batch, spread some jam on Saran wrap and dry it. When partly dry, peel it off the wrap so the back side can dry. (BTW - I was supposed to tell you that trick for the squash up a few posts ago too.)

These will give you a sampling of some things you can dry and take camping to eat.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Ok started the first try Red Delicious apples , Granny Smith apples, Pears, Ruby Red grape fruit, Tangerines. we'll see how I get along.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
If you like spicy food......I put some dried ground habanero pepper into the marinade when I made venison and beef jerky, it brought it to a whole new notch Emeril ain't even dreamed of... :shock:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Speakin of hot peppers I saw at BPS the other day a pepper rack for the grill. Stuffed peppers on a campin trip sounds so good what'd ya think?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I haven't tried grapefruit yet. But, when I tried oranges, they section skins were tougher than whet leather. And the insides dried down to nuthin. Maybe you can do better.

You can make tomato paste, but can buy it cheaper, I think. I prefer the Granny Smiths to delicious apples, but it's personal preference, I think. If you can get some Mutsu apples or Northern spies, dry some of them.

BTW, you can make an apple pie using dried apples, just have to rehydrate them in the shell or before. My late wife would freeze up sectioned apples slices (using the peeler-corer-slicer) along with spices etc. measured out for an apple pie. On thawing, there would be extra juices. We'd line the bottom pie shell with dehydrated apples to soak up the juice. JARVIS good eatin'!

I haven't tried drying cheddar cheese yet. Will have to.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Thanks Jack this is my first try so I'm not expecting any favorable results , but we'll see. Frozen apples for pie makin I can agree with. If Jarvis good eatin mean make way a hungry boy's comin to the table I hear ya

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Take some jalapeno's and cut off the tops, clean out the innards, stuff with cream cheese and bake at 350 for about 20-30 mins.
Git some bananna peppers, cut off the tops, clean out the innards, stuff with Eye-Tal-Yun sausage, bake at 350 for about 30 mins.
I find a fish fillet knife is good for clean'n out pepper innards, and the butt end of a wooden spoon is good for stuff'n 'em.

Those shouldn't be too hot for ya unless your name is Chuck! :lol: