new design in progress | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

new design in progress

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tx river rat said:
JD
I never put the shear strips on untill I have flipped the boat upright and looked her over,I have been known to put a jig saw to a hull if I didnt like the line.
Ron
You, change a design?! You would never do that. :lol:

Good point, though. I've been known to modify a thing or two on most everything I make. You know how it is. Sometimes you just have to take a couple of 1/16ths ( or a couple of inches) off of a line for it to be right.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
I was watching the episode of "How it's made" on making the Sea Wolf kayak. The builder glued the shear strips and the side joints at the same time flat on the workbench. It looked like a good idea because it would be easier to clamp a long strip like that flat rather than bending a strip around the inside of the gunwale all slippery with glue. Anyone ever try it?
Reinforcing a piece of plywood BEFORE bending it doesn't make much sense to me. Also, you now have two pieces of wood bonded. When bent, one will be an inner radius, while the other will be an outer radius. Each will try to be a different length than the other, because the outside one needs to be longer to reach around the arc when bent.

I'd say it's a bassackwards way of trying to do it. I'd rather apply glue to, say, a 2 foot long stretch in the center of the strip and clamp it into place. After that glue has set up, then move the clamps to the glued portion to prevent it from separating, and bend out each end, apply glue, and add clamps as needed.

I suppose you could also clamp it on starting from one end, and apply clamps to hold it as you go along. Then hold out one end, apply glue, and clamp it. After it has set up, remove clamps from the unglued portion, hold it out away from the boat and apply glue and reclamp.

What looks like a straight edge along a gunnel is actually a gentle arc. Any piece that has to follow that arc, will be easier to work with and install if it has been precut to follow that arc, rather than trying to bend a straight piece into an arc.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
On the Sea Wolf, the ply is 4mm and the shear strips appear to be approx. 1/2" thick or so. In the video, it didn't look like it took any effort at all to bend the sides into shape. Maybe the advantages outweighed the disadvantages on that design. I was surprised to see them install the stations and bulkheads after the bottom and sides were wired together. Different strokes, I guess.

Joey

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
We routinely attach the inside chine to the 1/4" plywood sides of our marsh pirogue before bending them to shape. The man that showed us how to do it has been doing it like that for the past 50 years or so.

IMG_0619.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
I agree , it's all in the packing. I'm gradually paring down what I take so room shouldn't be a problem.

Chuck, how do those bulkead hatches work in the Freedom. Pain in the arse or workable? I'd kinda like to keep my decks intact if possible.

Joey

The rear hatch was just back of where the seat was. It was hinged at the bottom on the lip of the bulkhead and fasten at the top so it would open to the front. It made getting stuff in and out easy , plus it keep my food in a secure area so coons could not get in there and feast. ( there was an additional lip on the backside of the open area for the door to set against when closed.)

freedom%20013.jpg

The front bulkhead was cut so it was open with about a 1 inch lip all the way around. That lip offered support plus it keep any water in the cockpit from entering the storage area.

Light stuff was in bags and in the far ends , then graduating towards the center of the boat was the heavier stuff with the cockpit left open for me.

I use some cord on the end bags so I could retrieve them with ease , packing it , let the cord lay loose in the cockpit and just stuff the stuff in there.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm still on the fence with my choice of deck or bulkhead hatches. I guess I'll "wing" it when the time comes, just like the rest of this build. :) I have been running some designs for deck hatch fastenings around in my head.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
First I am not knocking any other set up but here is why I like my top hatches,first I dont have to stand on my head to see whats in them second ,the bunjies on my hatch also serve to hold things on my decks for easy reach,third my back hatches are built where I can sit a cooler in them and its a tight fit, I can get in my front hatch while still on the water if I have to.
Ron