New guy- sold the plastic thing **finished- w/pictures | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy- sold the plastic thing **finished- w/pictures

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
... The mosquitoes are terrible...
Totally off the subject of boats, and on hte subject of human comfort and health. Googleize for bat huses. make some and put them up. Likely a bit late for htis season, but will help next season.

They like to eat bugs, work for free, and don't eat gritz. It just don't get no better'n that!

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
p

Just hang a few of those fabric softner sheets around the work place. No more skeeters.

I put one in my hat[mesh type] not solid material hat and don't have a problem here in S port.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Beautiful day today! Got the gunnels nailed in and the bottom cut out about a half inch oversize all the way around.. Cut the butt splice patch on the bottom to fit between the chines. That's the worse part of the whole build. I'll try a different way of doing that job on the next one.

I did some sanding inside and out, smoothed the tops of the gunnels even with the top of the side panels and trimmed the ends of the gunnels. I played around with some different shapes and sizes for the breastplates.

I'll nail the bottom on tomorrow and attach some wedge shaped strips on the front and rear stems.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I was talking with my sister the other day about the first pirogue I built while in college and sold it to her husband about 10 years later. It was built very similar to the one I am building now--1/4" marine ply and steel ringshank nails, painted with porch and deck paint. She says " That thing, it's still in decent shape- it's hanging on the side of the camp and he uses it every once in a while." That pirogue was built in about 1975 and( if I know my brother-in-law) was probably slightly abused.
So, I don't have any qualms about not using epoxy and glass. I wonder how many glass boats will be around in 30 or so years.

Joey

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Started reading this post and within ten minutes I had to go lie down, I was exhausted! Nice work jdupre, however I ought to warn ya some of these guys are already considering putting out a contract on ya cos they b'lieve y're gonna use up all the boat building wood.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Islandpiper, I live on Bayou Lafourche right outside of Donaldsonville- probably about an hour from you. Doesn't the Tchefuncte(sp?) River run near Ponchatoula? Might be a good river to paddle.

John, with all the wood I saw at Robichaux's, I think all of us here would have a hard time depleting his stock.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Islandpiper, I live on Bayou Lafourche right outside of Donaldsonville- probably about an hour from you. Doesn't the Tchefuncte(sp?) River run near Ponchatoula? Might be a good river to paddle.

John, with all the wood I saw at Robichaux's, I think all of us here would have a hard time depleting his stock.

Joey

Joey...

Ya done goofed up , now all those folks in your area know where you are and will show up at supper time , hang around and expect breakfast in the morning.
Jezzzzeeeee, ya never know even oldyaker might even show up with Kayak Jack in tow to really add to ya misery but never fear, I'm here to protect you. We will spread a grit barrier that is guaranteed to stop any kayaking Yankee in there tracks.

Now when did you say supper will be ready and what are we .... "O"ooooop's ...Sorry about that mistake .......... You having. :D

Chuckles.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Sparky, I ain't a sceered o' no compny. Folks just droppin' in for vittles just have to get by my 100# ornery, stranger-bitin', evil doin' Rottweiler. :twisted:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Redfisher, I think the old boy is still around. I saw him in one of his car commercials a few months back. He was in a wheelchair, though. DAHLIN'!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Attached some little wedge shaped pieces on the ends of the stems to cut the water. I'm sure there is a correct nautical term for them. I did some sanding and bought some paint for the bottom and sides. I'll varnish the interior and the rub rails. The end is in sight!!

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Got the bottom and sides painted today. Have to wait a day or two for the second coat. It takes oil base paint longer to cure in our high humidity.
Paint sure hides a multitude of flaws! My boatbuilding skills(?? ) wouldn't allow for varnish on the outside. The inside looks a lot better so I'll varnish it. Pictures to come.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
My baby floats!! After waiting a couple of days for the third coat of paint to dry on the bottom and sides, I had to put the boat in the bayou to try it out. I wanted to see if there were any problems before I varnished the interior. At least that's what I convinced myself the reason was. Truth is, I couldn't wait any longer!

I pushed off from the bank and after the traditional case of the "wobblies" she settled down and took off. She's much more responsive than the old plastic thing. I was using a canoe paddle and she didn't need a whole lot of gymnastics to keep her straight. Actually, it took a little more effort to make a sharp turn. The 1" rocker front and rear appears to be about right.

I pulled along side a dock for support and tried leaning over to get a feel for the stability. I was able to lean enough for a little water to come over the side without any sudden tendency to tip.

I came back and let it dry and did some MORE sanding. She'll be ready for varnish tomorrow.
:D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Put the first coat of varnish on the inside. That's one of the best parts of the build- watching that wood grain pop out under the wet varnish. I let it dry a day and sanded most of the inside this evening til the skeeters ran me inside. I figure it will take 3 coats to seal everything up.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Got it all painted and varnished and got her wet.

img_129512sideview.jpg
[/url]

IMG_129712frontquarter.jpg

IMG_130012lowrearshot.jpg

IMG_129912sterncloseup.jpg

Got used to seeing that beatifull cypress sticking up on the stems and didn't have the heart to cut it off flush.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That IS a pretty boat.

Go forth; paddle far waters and camp distant shores. Gaze on light from stars dead a thousand years before you were born. Communicate with the animals there, and come to know yourself the better. Enjoy Nature.