New guy- sold the plastic thing **finished- w/pictures | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy- sold the plastic thing **finished- w/pictures

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Joey,

I was reading this post and I am curious about how the interior finish held up for you.

I like the idea of using chine logs instead of epoxy fillets, and I also like the idea of less epoxy and glass. I've been thinking about glassing and painting the outside, but just using linseed/turpentine/wax on the inside.

I've read a lot on boat building sites that fir or pine plywood will check and peel if it doesn't have glass on it... has yours held up OK?

George

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
George,

Stifle the impulse to not glass the inside of the bottom. THAT is where it will help prevent splitting and cracking when you run that boat up onto a rock, log, or any other sharp obstacle that bends up the bottom wood. The wider and flatter the bottom, the more it will benefit from being glassed inside.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, George , ya had to bring this up, aye? :oops: I am about to sit down to a big plate of crow topped off with a big hunk of humble pie for desert. :cry: I would not advise using fir plywood. It's heavy and mine is splitting and checking already. The Helmsman varnish I used has held up well on everything but the fir plywood. The fir gunnels , cypress ribs , cypress stem pieces and white pine breast hooks all are holding up nicely. I have had to sand and repaint the bottom and sides twice in the last year. The checking affects the cosmetics and the slipperiness of the hull. I definitely can feel the boat slowing as the checks become more pronounced.

I was urged to go the epoxy/glass route, but chose, for sentimental reasons , to build the old way. My boat is a strong, good paddling craft, and I've had TONS of memorable trips in her, but epoxy and fiberglass is the way to go.

Now y'all can commence the "I told you so's" at this point. :)

Joey

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Joey,

Thanks - that's what I needed to know.

I ended up choosing a luan type plywood for the UJ pirogue that I am building. I guess I will bite the bullet and glass the inside. That is if I ever get to that point... work is keeping me so busy that I probably don't get to put in 5 hours a week on it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond - the great thing about this forum is that you can learn from others experiments and experience.

George