New guy working on a pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

New guy working on a pirogue

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Welcome Naz,
Sounds like you dug in with both feet on the pirouge. If you have the means please post some pics so we can follow along with the build. Plus some of the geezers can't read the small print and rely on pics. :shock:

Chad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye god, Naz - don't wit until you get Vista conquered before you start your boat. Hell will freeze over before you get Bill Gates' last misfit system working OK.

Here in Michigan is a real town named Hell. It''l freeze in October or November. That, however, is not the event I was considering.

Point is, either get your old XP system back, get an Apple computer, or do something else. Vista isn't designed to work right. Gates always - repeat, always - sells an intentionally crippled product. He then charges you for the "fixes" tot he original product that was never meant to be right in hte first place.

In a nutshell - build your boat now.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Naz,

and welcome aboard mate.

I too have Vista and hate the pig but it seems to be sloooooowly getting better. I have ranted long and hard about it here.

Photobucket works well for me. You need to re-size to around 640 X 480 and photobucket can also do this for you - easy.

Once you get your piccies re-sized, and uploaded to a photo hosting site, I can walk you through the process of sticking them on here. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There is nothing wrong with a Iranian shrimp barge as long as it floats. :D As far as mistakes , the builder always knows where they are and the nice thing about wood boat is that no one else sees the bo bo's.

As far as having more then one boat ... I have or have had 4 pirogues , a Swamp Girl , The Freedom kayak and a 17 1/2 foot sea kayak , one Canoe and working at this time on #2 Canoe. For some reason the wife thinks I have to many boats , women what do they know. :roll:

It is easier to glass the out side of the boat then the inside , the outside gives you a good idea of how the glass works when wetted out and that knowledge helps when doing the inside.

Make sure the seams are welded ( glued) with some epoxy so they will not come apart on you if you don't want to fillet them 1st. I like to have them filleted before starting the glass work. This way I know they are solid.
Also make sure you have the outside rub rail on or you could break a rib on the boat when moving it , especially if it wants to buckle on you when moving it. You also get a better bond with the rails by attaching them to the wood and not the glass at a later time. ( Wood to wood is the best ).

Glassing the boat...........
Myself , I like to start in the center of the boat and work out to the edges and ends as the process progresses. At the stems I work the glass along till I get there , then trim the glass and overlap it on the stems. Sometimes there is a feathered edge so after it cures I lightly sand it and then run a piece of glass tape over it for extra protection.

Sometime later this week I need to order more epoxy and at that time get my glass for this new canoe. No real rush , Raka gets the stuff to me in a day or two since I'm in Florida and close to them.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One thought........

When you do the fillets there is a easy way to get them just right.

Along the seams you want to fillet take and brush on some epoxy about 2 inches out on each side along with the seam. Let it cure then go back and give it a light sanding to get rid of any roughness.

Now figure out how wide you want the fillet and put down some masking tape at the edge of the width you decided on. When that is done then add the fillet to the center area and when it is almost , but not quietly set up ... PULL the tape. If you let it set up all the way the tape will be part of the fillet.

The tape will create nice sharp edges for the fillet and cut back on a lot of sanding to get things right. Plus it makes the fillet nice and uniform.

The idea behind doing the epoxy on the wood before you fillet the boat is that the tape will stick to the cured epoxy and when you pull the tape you will not take any wood with the tape. Make sure the epoxy has cured before you put the tape on it. :lol:

The fillets come out looking like this when you do it that way.
freedom%20026.jpg

Chuck.
A plastic spoon , using the backside of it will work on smearing the fillet along the seam , I like to use a old charge card or one of those pre-approved ones they insist on sending you.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Boy is Chuck right on that fillet and tape thing. I listened to the master and it came out great.
P5220016.jpg

P5220015.jpg

A note on the finish. The better your fillet looks the less you are going to sand and in the compound corners were 2 sections meet try to be very smooth here if possible as it's very hard to sand there. Also if the material is to thin it will sag so start out a little like peanut butter if you have to you can add a little more flour if needed. I would only mix a couple of ounces at a time.
Go forth and fillet! Good Luck Naz.

Love pics of your boat so far and you helper looks eager to go for a ride.

Peace,

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad...

Hope you don't mind but I did a little maneuvering with the pictures in your post so they did not require a WIDE screen to see them. :lol:

By the way .. I told him masking tape , the blue tape works a lot better ( I plead temporary insanity on not being specific about that ) Thanks for showing that. :D

Chuck.
The temporary insanity comes from camping with Kayak Jack , it's not hereditary , anyway in my family. :wink:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Sorry, Chuck I meant to do that before I posted. Thanks for cleaning up. The blue tape works well almost to well. I masked off to do the graphite bottom on top of not well cured epoxy and it stuck in a couple of spots. Nothing good old sandpaper can't fix.

Uncle Jack can have strange, misterious and unexplained effects on people. Area 51 comes to mind for some reason. :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chad, time wise, doing the inside of a boat - filleting, glassing, sanding, etc. - takes about the same amount of time as marking & cutting panes, assembling the enter boat, gluing joints, and glassing the outside. IE: the inside is a place ot slow down, take your time, and learn some tricks of the trade.

It's also a good place to learn a few new cuss words.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Your welcome Naz! It's not the heat it's the humility! :lol:

How right you are Uncle jack! I can't for the life of think of any new Cuss words to learn as I think I dun learnt em all! In fact I have been known to make a sailor blush a time or two.

"Phone Home Jack - Phone home"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, I think this sucker is firmly hooked now. We can move on to the next victim.

Jack....

What can I say , he listens to good advice and to top it all off he drives a Jeep. JEeeeeeee I wounder who else on here drives a Jeep. :lol:

Yep he is hooked , lets look for a new victim , there has to be more of them out there.
The hunt is on ....Open Season...... :wink:

Chuck.