new machete | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

new machete

fransjoe

Jun 6, 2011
About that Machete, I grew up in Guatemala, and believe me Tramontina is the only Machete or knife I would buy, they have the best steel around, I still have my Machete that saw regular use in Guatemala for about 20+ years and still holds a nice sharp edge.

dawallace45

When Joey got his Tramontina machete it reminded me that I'd used them before , around that time I had been looking at Cold steel machetes but they were rather expensive here and I didn't like the styles available here [ we don't get them all ] so I started looking at the tramontinas again and the local camping shops stock them first I bought a 10" model for my day pack and it proved to do what was required well and it took a good edge and chopped through small saplings and such and when needing a shelter , clearing some brush and worked well for splitting hardwood for kindling when used with a big rock , it will stay in my day pack .

The 18" blade model was the next one and again the steel was good but the edge needed work , not much but some and it keeps a edge , for many things it's a better size to use than the 10" but doesn't fit in my pack so now lives in my recovery box in my Musso 4x4 .

The 26" model is a monster , the blade is bloody long and this is a good thing , gives it a good swing , I've chopped through 2" hard wood saplings many times with one swing and have choped through a 5" thick Iron bark tree several times , it's lighter and handier than my Friska axe and it the best axe I've used , I can chop stuff as I pile it on the fires and chop it at the same time and the little sort of hook on the handle it brilliant , it's by far the best machete I've used but because of the swing and weight you need to remember where the swing will finish , it's not like a broad sword that tends to feel alive in your hand because of the weight distribution , but it does it's job well , it holds the edge extremely well and for a test I cut through a 5" Iron bark log that had been dead for a lot of years , it was hard as the hobbs of hell and when I tested the hardness broke a 1/4" drill in it , it was hard going but I chopped through it about two minutes and the blade still put in a days work cutting green stuff before needing a quick sharpen , to give a idea of what I was chopping through here are some pictures of what I was chopping through and the machetes

Macheteandclearing003.jpg

Macheteandclearing002.jpg

Macheteandclearing005.jpg

Macheteandclearing006.jpg

Macheteandclearing007.jpg

Macheteandclearing009.jpg

What the place looked like before

Macheteandclearing016.jpg

Macheteandclearing017.jpg

I've used a Machete , Brushcutter and chainsaw in that order in length of time and I'm getting on top of it , still need to take out about half of what is left

David