New Paddling Partner. | SouthernPaddler.com

New Paddling Partner.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

I haven't posted here in a while, and one or two know what has been going, this side of the drain.

To cut a very long story short, I am single again and have been so for a few months.

A couple of weeks ago, I met a delightful lady, a city girl and avid photographer, who has never done much in the bush, but is keen to experience all that she can. :D

She came up from Brisbane to visit and while we come from very different backgrounds, she has very quickly become my new best friend.

Yesterday, I took her on her first ever canoeing trip. Just a day paddle in my local river, my beloved Burrum.

Below are a few images of the day, but first, let me please introduce you to Janet.

Weir021.jpg

Weir013.jpg

Lunch stop

Weir002.jpg

Reflections in the rainforest
Weir026.jpg

Weir042.jpg

Weir044.jpg

Weir036.jpg

I think she likes it!!!

Weir055.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick........

Welcome back and Janet you are more them welcome since Mick tells us you are one of us and judging from the pictures ...Isn't life grand out on the water. :D

Chuck.
PS.. Sent you a PM about a person who will be over there for 3 or 5 months checking the area out and just having a good time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dear Janet, how do you do? You look like a nice person; why are you hanging around with Mick? sigh

Welcome aboard, Janet, and welcome back Mick. Whilst I shovel snow, you're basking in sub-tropical backwaters with a lady. Ain't no justice in the world.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
LOL, LOL,

G'day Chuck,

Mate, I am drafting replies now to both PM's.

Jack,

Thanks mate, appreciate it. :D :D

I will very gently steer the Lovely Miss Janet in this direction.

While I show her my world, she has very kindly offered to show me hers - in the city. Tall buildings, bright lights and very good resteraunts etc. I think we can each learn a lot from each other and am truly looking forward to 2010. It promises to be a very good year! :D

Weir031.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys, Janet here. Thanks very much for the warm welcome :eek:)

I'm looking forward to doing much more canoeing with Mick, I'm having a ball so far! I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so many years.

Looking forward to more chats in the future...

Have a great New Year, I believe that Mick and I will be having a lot of fun in 2010.

Janet xx

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Welcome,Janet and welcome back Mick. Mick,we missed your trip reports and builds. Janet, I'm sure Mick will show you more of that beautiful country. Get ready to take a LOT of pictures.

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick,
If Janet has not been out of the city much and starts going into the great outdoors with you she is likely to burn her camera up trying to get pictures of every new thing she is seeing. I'll bet this is a wonderful experience for her. Congrats ya'll.
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys, again. :D

I forgot to mention that during our many talks yesterday, I just happened to mention wistfully, on how I had been trying to organise and prepare for a multi day expedition down the freshwater length of our Mary River. (probably about 200 river miles).

Now, as I mentioned, Janet is a city girl and loves her comforts, but she expressed a very keen interest in this and asked some searching and very relevent questions. She has told me that she would love to do something like this and wants to do the trip with me. 8) There are no facilities along this river and such a trip would require wilderness camping. Both of us are dedicated foodies. While I can sleep on the ground with nothing but a tarp and a fire, I would never expect such a fine lady to do likewise.

My Sasquatch 16.5 is a superb, solo, expedition boat but in order to carry the necessary surplies and comforts, a much bigger canoe will be called for. I will probably be talking with Matt very soon about his magnificent Sasquatch 18 and will be commencing a build shortly. 8) 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,

Southwind will make a fine tandem day tripper, and mild water, tandem ,sea kayak but she lacks the necessary volume and load capacity to carry all we would need on such a trip.

A much bigger, open canoe Like Sas 18 with a stated load capacity of around 800 pounds is a much better option for us. :D We both like our comforts. :D :D

G'day BB - thanks mate, appreciate it.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
YO Mick,

You were gone ?. Never noticed :mrgreen:

Welcome to Ms. Janet.

Just a thought, if the trip ever gets past the planning stage to the actual thing, think about hammocks rather than tents [if the area will accept them] trees rather than fields.

Hammocks plus a large tarp will cut down weight and allow a much better sleep. The tarp will also give you shelter for cooking and just sitting enjoying the day in the occasional rain storm.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
a Bald Cypress said:
... Hammocks plus a large tarp will cut down weight and allow a much better sleep. The tarp will also give you shelter for cooking and just sitting enjoying the day in the occasional rain storm.
Baldy is right. I rig a 10'X14' foot rain fly across my hammock, with the 10 width along the hammock, and the 14' side with part of it hanging way out to one side. This provides a nice "covered patio" in which to contemplate Nature, sip single malt, tell true tales, and sing lurid ballads.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have to agree with Baldy and Jack , a hammock and a tarp is the way to go but keep in mind I camp with some grisly old farts I really do not want to share a tent with at any stretch of the imagination , especially all night long , anyway with them. :wink:

Besides I enjoy having my private area , all to myself at night and the hammock sure offers some good sleeping and solitude. I guess it comes from all the years of going alone and enjoying life. The fun of having someone else there when around the campfire and paddling has a lot going for it and needs to be enjoyed. I sure do on the trips all of us enjoy together.

Everything has it's place and time with good times to be shared but quiet times alone are welcome and enjoyed by me. Not even thinking about everyone on a trip suggesting I hang my hammock at lease a 100 yards from all of the rest of them.... They say I snore but I swear , I have never heard a sound except for there snoring. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Jacks singing or so called singing will keep the critters away , you might want to get a tape from him to play when camping , just use ear plugs when playing it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Actually, my singing is alluring to both drunken Olde Fartes, and nubile young maidens. Some fellas just can't tell the difference. :wink:

Come to think of it, Mick, maybe a hammock, where each sleeps alone, may not serve the purposes very well. Better take a tent afterall. .......... Oh, and take Janet too. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Come to think of it, Mick, maybe a hammock, where each sleeps alone, may not serve the purposes very well. Better take a tent afterall. .......... Oh, and take Janet too. :D

DAM .. One old Fart finally woke up to the way things are when a couple goes camping and I thought we would have to draw a picture to let them understand things. :lol: :lol: :lol: Any fool knows that two bodies help to keep each other warm when it is cold outside. The cool should be there in a month or so.
Hate to say this but a hammock is sure a lot nicer for sleeping and relaxing then a tent is , any day , for one person.

As far as drinking , the more Jack has the more he sings so on any trip with him make sure it is coffee or tea he enjoys. Or just let him have his fun and enjoy his time out there in the wild , stuff your ears with cotton for some quiet time and watch the critters scram from your area. :lol: