new pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

new pirogue

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is one SHARP PROGUE .... I really like the lines on her and all the rest is way beyond mere mortal words or descriptions.

A pirogue for use today out of wood that was cut over a 100 years ago and will last for that long or longer. I am speechless. :oops: For now :lol:

Guys please copy and post those pictures in the Boat Bragging section with a explanation about the wood ...... She REALLY NEEDS to be there.:D

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
WOW, After the varnish she took on a life of her own. That old cypress sinker was not done living yet. She is gorgeous and very unique! I am just blown away with the simplicity of the lines. Subtle yet striking. Give yourselves a big pat on the back.
Well done! :shock:

Any idea on a weight yet?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I don't have the words for just how nice that boat is. I am dumb-struck.

Chuck,

[/quote]Guys please copy and post those pictures in the Boat Bragging section with a explanation about the wood ...... She REALLY NEEDS to be there.

Perhaps a "Hall of Fame" would be more appropriate for this one mate.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I keep droppin' by ta look at the boat 'n ta see if ya'll kin come up with some fittin' words. I near bout wore out my eyes tryin' ta see how Keith used computer magic ta put a pichur of the High Sheriff in front of hiz pirogue, cuz I know he dont allow nobody ta set round hiz shop callin' hiz boats "pee roos". :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. Nikita Khrushchev

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
JEM

Friend Keith must be taking a beauty rest (Lord knows he needs it) so I'll jump in here.

Yes, she's a big 'un

15' long, 28" across the bottom, 42" across the top, about 140lb

Not made for portaging, this is considered a guide's pirogue - capable of carrying 2 or 3 folks, gear, etc. We haven't really loaded it up but expect it to easily carry 600 to 800 lb without getting squirrelly.

Again, thanks for all the interest and good compliments. We do this to showcase the wood and preserve the crafts involved. Any of you ever in this part of the country, give us a holler and come by and visit.

I'll start a new thread next week on our next pirogue........

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
seedtick said:
... Not made for portaging, this is considered a guide's pirogue - capable of carrying 2 or 3 folks, gear, etc. We haven't really loaded it up but expect it to easily carry 600 to 800 lb without getting squirrelly....
Aye god, Bear's Buddy - that thing would carry almost all of your gear in just ONE boat!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
seedtick said:
I'll start a new thread next week on our next pirogue........
Friend tick,

I'll tune in same time, same station. How bout showin' yer tables? Any of 'em made frum jest one slice?

regards
bearridge

Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize that it was your money to start with.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
seedtick said:
... Not made for portaging, this is considered a guide's pirogue - capable of carrying 2 or 3 folks, gear, etc. We haven't really loaded it up but expect it to easily carry 600 to 800 lb without getting squirrelly....
Aye god, Bear's Buddy - that thing would carry almost all of your gear in just ONE boat!

Comes mighty close.... :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack ... Do you think besides taking all of his stuff that boat would stay upright with B.B. as the skipper , or is it just wishful thinking on my part ?:lol:

If you don't think so then any trip we would do together , he will not be able to take the grit supply with him.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
You oughta keep the gritz supply unto your own craft, Chuckie. Kinda like carrying a combination of kitty litter and nitroglycerin.

That is why the grits need to be in a different boat ... I carry the Nitro with me , it is in a spray form .... thats a liquid ya know and dang useful at times.

I normally have two bottles with me , one for medicinal use and the other , old , outdated, and extremely explosive for keeping Yankees in line.
It can make a canoe take off like the space shuttle if a person would ever do something like that to a fellow paddler. :roll: Two squirts will take you from Florida to South Carolina , 4 squirts will land you in New Jersey , 6 and you are coming down in Greenland. Never had to use 8 squirts on anyone .... my guess would be someplace around the north pole.

"O" that reminds me .. Dang it Jack .. The next time we are paddling ... slow down I want to see what 10 squirts does to a kayak, never tried it on one of them. Please send a post card when you land so all of will know. By the way.. :p ....When will you be back down here ???????? :lol:

Chuck.
PS. It would be no fun to do it up there in the frozen north when we make a trip .... You don't speak Spanish so I would hate to see you land in Brazil on the Amazon River.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Mr. Bearridge,

Keith and I only do furniture under duress from our spouses, or other special ocassions. Here's a couple of shots of a changing table made for my first grand daughter. It's made from one board -24" wide.

e9217d19.jpg

e9217c6e.jpg

Keith has pics of other furniture he's made. We really don't want to use the wide stuff on household items when they'd really look good on a boat. We've got one board drying that's about 2" X 36" X 10' or so, but it would make a much nicer transom or bulkhead than table

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck the next time you out with the geezers & Jack is around I believe you need to sneak some gritz in his chili or something . It will calm his nerves that away. :wink: :lol:

Seedtick & Keith like I said before you guys are real crafstman. You have it down to a tee. Nice piece of furnture. :)

I told you guys you better keep an close eye on the slices , you know how geezers are they,ll try to bribe you for one. :lol: