Clicky

New Plank Pirogue Duckin Boat.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Dave , thanks for taking time to post.Looks like a fun project with some meaning to you. It's funny how we pick up good ideas from these post. We have a similar Mennonite community close by, that built our kitchen table. They also have lots of equipment, knowledge, and willingness to help. I'd just never thought about them being a resource before. I will now!
Andy
Hey Andy, I've been dealing with these people for years both here and in Delaware. For the most part they are all good honest folks, but I have been taken by a few. Most times they provide services that aren't available anywhere else, at a reasonable rate. Dave.

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Well, I finally got started last week. The 3/8 plywood got scarfed with my circular saw jig and that worked out pretty good. Since then I have bought a Bosch sander. I glued up the ply with West Systems 610. It comes in a caulking tube with a screw on mixing spout. Worked real nice and I probably used to much on the joint but I do have that sander now. I epoxied the knots in the cypress planks too.

Attachments

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
The next day I got the rake cut on the planks. 13ft 6in across the top 12 ft on the bottom with 2 and 1/2 in arc cut out of the bottom. The stems were cut from an old white oak 2x4 with a 30 degree angle and the end caps for the stems will be of the same. I made the center form to bend the planks and after I fastened the sides to the stems I made 2 more forms ,fore and aft, to get her shaped up nice and symetrical. I used stainless steel screws and she is now dry fitted together. Next I'll cut and fit the chines out of cypress 1x4s split in half and beveled close to size and then glue it all up. Dave.

Attachments

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate that. This forum and all you guys posting builds on here and giving support to new guys have taught me alot. It's been six years or so getting this boat started but that's just me, a day late and a dollar short. Thanks, Dave.