No More Tangles (Well Almost) | SouthernPaddler.com

No More Tangles (Well Almost)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I normally bass fish, casting a single lure on a bait casting rod and reel. Recently I have been using a spinning rod and reel to cast a bobber with a small jig to catch pan fish. Sometimes on a long cast the line will wrap over, and around the cork's peg, when the peg is placed into the reel side of the cork.
FishandStJudeCrafts048.jpg

Pegging on the hook side has helped reduce this nusance.
FishandStJudeCrafts045.jpg

Hasn't helped the catching much :roll:, but less hassel.

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bee, I came to the same conclusion with my fly fishing tackle. I use a cork and jig about a quarter that size or smaller and was having the same trouble. Pegging from the bottom helped a lot.

I've been catfishing more lately and have been using the slip cork method. There's a small knot of string on the line which stops a small bead which in turn stops the cork at the right depth. When you reel in to cast, the cork slips down the line to the sinker which gives a more compact package to cast. When the rig hits the water, the sinker pulls the hook down until it hits the bead and stop. Google "slip cork" or "slip bobber" and you'll get a ton of info.

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Joey,
A slip cork will allow you to fish on a trashy bottom. The hook goes straight down and when you start reeling in the hook jumps up instead of dragging across the bottom. For a depth stop I use a piece of rubber band and tie it in a larks head around the line and snip it off close.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Check your line on the spinning outfit , it might be twisted.
When a person uses a spinning rod and have a fish on they continue to crank against the drag when line is going out. That puts a good twist in the line everytime. It's a common mistake a lot of fishermen do without knowing it. Just don't try to reel the fish in when it is taking line off the reel.

If the line is twisted the easy way to remove the line is to let it out behind a boat and run along for a while then stop the boat and reel the line in. Make sure there is nothing on the end of the line ( a snap you would attach a plug to ) that can twist the line as it is being reeled in.

To check for a twisted line just peel some off the reel and hold it together forming a large loop and see it it twists together. If it is an old line ( well used ) then replace it.

Chuck............

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I use a slip cork for live bait. It works well for fishing when your bait/lure needs to stay in a target area. Another plus is it helps my grandson (and me) stay out of limbs when casting around trees.
Pegging the bobber with a jig lets you use a more aggresive presentation. The jig is retreived by lightly "shaking" the rod tip as you reel. This imparts a swimming action to the lure, and allows you to cover more water. A stop and go pattern works best. Most bites occure as the bait falls.
Joey, what size jig do you use on the fly rod? Is it "tied" or tipped with plastic?

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I use a #10 1/124oz. jig head just tied with a bit of black cheniel and rubber legs. Simple and effective. Bluegills really like lures with legs. Their primary food source is terrestrial.......spiders, crickets, grasshoppers and other bugs. They don't go for baitfish as much as bass and crappie do.

I've noticed that 'gills hit the bait on the fall, too. Lighter lures fall slower and keep them interested longer.
Joey

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Joey, your jig sounds like the fly bait known as the "Bream Killer". Not sure if they still sell them. Lots of folks fished them 1" to 18" behind/under their popping bug. I liked it by itself, just watching my floating line for the strike.
The lighter jig does fall slower and generally looks more natural. Some times a fast fall will trigger a reaction bite. The fish doesn't have time to figure out it is not real, or they think it is getting away. Rigging with both a jig, and a sinker above it, allows me to adjust the fall rate some. Move the sinker close to the lure and it falls faster. Next to the cork and the bait falls slower.

Chuck the tangle I was having comes when you cast the rig, and the jig loops the fall line over the cork, and then that line wedges between the peg and the line above the cork. I have found the best way to deal with the line twisting on the reel is use braided line. It has no memory and prevents most spinning reel nightmares.

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Beekeeper,

What brand / weight of braided line do you use when panfishing?

Do you use a mono leader at the business end of the rig for reduced visibility?

I've been wanting to try braid for years and never got around to it.

George

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I use 10 lb spider wire on my ultra lights, works good and dont use a leader.
I used tooth picks to peg weights and beads back in my tournament bass fishing days.
Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
George,
The line has been on the reel a long time, but I think it is 8 lb. Stren. Power Pro is also good. Visability is usually not a big issue in most of the water I fish. A leader of mono will work in clear water. I just don't like the extra step of tying one on. Braid on a spinning rod is the way to go. No reel tangles, alows you to use a heavier test, and last a long time. :D

beekeeper