Not a boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Not a boat

Pirogue

After a woodworking hiatus, here is my latest.

The wife wanted this:
br_bed_3216700p.jpg

So, I bought this:
IMG_0020.jpg

And started this:
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

And ended up with this:
IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Happy wife, happy life.

Pirogue

Wade,

No drawings were used other than sketches on graph paper. I started with the dimensions of a king sized mattress and box spring. Then I measured the foot board with enough height to keep the comforter from falling off when folded. The head board was just designed by eye. Once I got the width, I equally measured out the spaces for the inserts. All of the lumber was based upon stock widths. So the legs were 1 x 6, stiles and rails were 1 x 4's. But the legs were actually doubled in thickness for strength. The rails holding the box spring were 2x6 with 1 1/4 angle. Since we have 2 full box springs instead of one king, I did put a 2 x 6 down the center with legs. but you may not see that in the picture.

Like I said, much of this was built by eye. But start with the King mattress dimensions and you can build out from there.

nobucks

Nice work!

My wife has been getting on me about replacing my daughter's queen sized bed frame. Maybe I'll have to give this a try, only not as fancy.

Again, great job! I can hardly tell the difference between the catalog pic and you're finished product.