1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by beekeeper, May 31, 2009.

1. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

My Dad loved little "Jenny wrens". He used a dime to gauge the size of the entry hole.

About 12-14 years ago, I made some wren houses, and helped my granddaughter hang them up. A woodpecker adopted one, and remodeled the hole to something bigger than a quarter.

We always has gold finches (wild canaries) and black-cap chickadees here, but haven't seen any in a couple of years.
  2. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Durn little House Wrens nest all over the place here. I have some old Mason jars in the tractor shed they like a lot. Last year, one of them decided to nest on top of the tractor engine. Any strange place you'd never think to look for a bird just might have a House Wren at my place. I like 'em though, don't mess with them.

3. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

The two with the entrance rests (pegs) have smaller holes to discourage birds larger than wrens from using them. The wrens at my house think upturned pirogues are put there for them. I guess one day I will have to hang some boxes and see if that would divert their attention. These birdhouses and benches went to other homes.