Clicky

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Broke the handle out of my Dad's hammer. I bought a new handle but it had to be fitted to the head. Seems new handles never fit older tools. Sanded the cheap shinny factory finish and rubbed in several coats of oil. Probably not worth all the effort $ wise, but the tool makes me think of him when I use it.
IMG_4750.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That looks functionally beautiful, JD. I'm a fan of hickoy, oak, and ash.

I read somewhere - I don't dream these things - that some new handles have a shiny coat of varnish on them. It makes them look new and shiny in the store, and slippery in your hand. The article suggested to scrape off that coating with the edge of a broken piece of window pane. It didn't suggest a source of that widow pane; I had to figure that out for myself.

Boy! That neighbor was cranky!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
We had a neighbor like that. My Dad made me pay for the glass AND took my sling shot away for a week!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
One day when I was about 4 or 5. i was chunking rocks at a row of glass bottles. Dad watched, and tben told me that when I broke glass, I had to pick it up.

"Sure, Dad" I said as I picked up the three or four largest pieces, and turned towards the junk barrel.

"No, ALL of them."

Well, now didn't THAT just take all uf the fun right out of it!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hard to work on the pirogue with the rain and cold. Rescued some old tools. Cleaned, sanded, and oiled two picks and the awl. Made new hickory handles and sharpened two old chisels. The wide one was my Grandfathers so I'm glade to put it back in service.
IMG_4761.JPG