Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
Ooops:
DSC_24032.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Be careful when moving the Pirogue around without the outside or inside rub rail ( either one) on it to hold the shape. The sides of the boat will try to flex on you and if it does you stand a good shot at breaking one or more of the ribs in it.

Not a good thing..........

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Man! Does this builder ever stand in need of re-education. Just LOOK at that neat shop! I'll bet his Mother doesn't know he behaves that badly in public! She'd be ashamed.

Get some mess spread around there - QUICK! :wink:

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Man! Does this builder ever stand in need of re-education. Just LOOK at that neat shop! I'll bet his Mother doesn't know he behaves that badly in public! She'd be ashamed.

Just wait until he starts working with the resin. His shop well mess up faster than u can blink.

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
Kayak Jack said:

Man, give a newbie a break. I'm the kind of guy that has spent two hours looking for the wrench in his back pocket, gotta keep a little organized or I'd forget what i was even working on!
There is now officially a shortage of clamps in the immediate area :oops:

DSC_24212.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Bellybuster said:
It's easy, I was nervous too. Just make sure you keep a wet edge on the glass itself. I used a slow hardener just for that reason

Yeah a slow hardner is going to give you plenty of time to make mistakes and correct them before everything dries. BTW... Lacquer Thinner is your best friend for clean up :shock:. Unless the instructions already tell you to do this, just do a dry fit on all the edges you're going to put the tape on and cut to fit. I've known some people to pre-soack the fiberglass before they applying it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The inside is the worse to do but can be done without any problems , just go easy and steady. On the inside I like to use three pieces of glass , one for each section. The outside is a breeze to do and I use one piece to do it.

I like to start in the center and work to the ends , as far as the sides leave a little glass lapping over the top and if you want to fasten it there with some clamps till it gets wet in , then it will stay in place.

I epoxy saturate the wood before glassing it but make sure you lightly sand it after it sets up and before putting the glass in there , the whiskers ( wood fibers filled with epoxy ) will cause snags or runs in the glass. Plus the epoxy that has saturated the wood will give the epoxy used on the glass something to chemically bond with or to.

If you use to much pressure on the glass when wetting it in , it will move on you. Easiest way to say how to do that is to just do it and find that sweet spot for your fiber glassing. As the guys said , small batches of epoxy work a lot better then one large batch. I like to mix slow and fast epoxy to have a medium to work with , especially in hot weather.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Be sure to wear gloves and have your work area ventilated. And, wear old clothes that you won't mind having some "stiff" spots on afterwards. On the outside, you can do it in one piece as Chuck suggests. But that isn't a requirement. Two pieces is OK too, and a bit easier.

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
It's getting closer to time to glass.

001.jpg

Well, I am still confused about a few things. Since the inside is the hardest I am going to do it first. I plan on glassing the whole boat, OK ,questions....

1. If I epoxy saturate the whole boat, do i brush that on or use a spreader? What grit sandpaper do you use to prepare for the glass?

2. When you do the inside, i assume you start in the bottom and work up the sides? Where do you stop (where will the top, and bottom joint be?) Does the glass just conform to go over the ribs?

3. Do you pre cut the glass oversize, and trim it to fit when the epoxy is still a little soft?

Thanks in advance, and please try to not confuse me anymore than i all ready am! :eek:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's getting closer to time to glass.

Well, I am still confused about a few things. Since the inside is the hardest I am going to do it first. I plan on glassing the whole boat, OK ,questions....

1. If I epoxy saturate the whole boat, do i brush that on or use a spreader? What grit sandpaper do you use to prepare for the glass?
YES.... I use a roller to saturate the boat , you might find another way better or easier. Fine sandpaper will work all you are doing is knocking down and whiskers that are sticking up , lightly run your hand over it before sanding and you will see why I call them whiskers.

2. When you do the inside, i assume you start in the bottom and work up the sides? Where do you stop (where will the top, and bottom joint be?) Does the glass just conform to go over the ribs?
Cut the glass so it fits in between the ribs , trying to glass the ribs is a lot of work , just epoxy saturate them. I do the bottom and then work up the sides. You might find a different method for you.

3. Do you pre cut the glass oversize, and trim it to fit when the epoxy is still a little soft?
I let mine cure for about an hour and then with a razor knife go in and trim the glass. If you cut to hard the 2nd coat of epoxy will fill the cut for you. If it has not started to set when cutting the excess glass , the glass might move on you... when it is nice and tacky is the time I like to trim it.
Thanks in advance, and please try to not confuse me anymore than i all ready am! :eek:

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
Hey, thanks for the quick reply Chuck. I Know, I just have to jump in and do it, don't know why it has me so nervous. :oops: