Ogeechee River Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Ogeechee River Boat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
JD, are those seat rsils so the rear seat can slide to different positions?

Yes and no. The boat is "something different".
The seat does slide on rails, but it is the front seat.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm glad to see that someone on here is still building wood boats for there enjoyment and using the forum for it's intended use. :D
Nice job and it should be a beauty when she is done. What type of motor and HP are you going to put on the transom, if any ???.
Reminds me a lot of the Jon Boat's the guys around here use.

Chuck.

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Thanks Beekeeper! We appreciate the effort to keep us involved. I can't wait to see how this works in actual use.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Original boats were designed to be paddled from the stern seat. They usually had a live well mid ship. The boats were used to run fish nets, and for sport fishing. The seat slid back making room for the net to be emptied, or moved forward when casting. The rear paddler controlled the boat position.
The rear seat was attached and did not slide. I will use my pirogue seat until I can determine where to place the seat for my use.(Let me think :roll:,Grandson likes to paddle, I like to fish. :D ) Actually it will be me paddling so he can concentrate on fishing.
beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
One of my reasons for building this boat and the one that jumped started the build, was to see how cheap I could build a boat. I don't know how good the design will work for me but something has attracted me too it. It is made with "sow's ear" wood and will never be a "silk purse".
Home Depot had 1/4" plywood in their cull pile for $5.47 per sheet. What did I have to loose. 3 sheets, a couple other boards, some glue, paint, etc. Total cost $64.04.
Not to mislead anybody, this what I could have gotten by on. I added a protective bottom coat, sanded the wood(sand paper isn't cheap), and bought a different color paint instead of the miss tint I already had. Est. real cost (as built) probably $100.00 + or -.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bottom coating is granite powder, Rockite, and graphite mixed with epoxy resign. Hard and smooth.

Boat is finished except for the rear seat. I will do that after we determine the best location.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Are you planning to paddle, row, scull, electric motor?

:wink: Hoping to power it with grandson's paddle. Are you still available for adoption? :twisted: :lol:

Original boats were paddled but latter built to handle an outboard. I think it will work well enough for me using a double paddle. In pictures I have seen the boat appears to have considerable rocker. I reduced it, thinking the boat might track better and the water line would be increased. If paddling is not practicable a troll motor or small outboard would take care of any long distances.

Tom, thanks for the compliment. We will see how the coating works.

beekeeper

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
Hey Beekeeper, it looks really nice and a lot of room on the business end for work or fishing. The bottom looks good. What ratios did you use for ingredients in that coating? Dave.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Dave, I should have written it down. Best recollection is, one oz. Rockite + one oz. granite dust per four oz. epoxy resign by volume. This was top coated with a 4 to 1 epoxy/graphite mixture.
Caution, the Rockite seems to hastens working time. Uncharted territory at least for me, but seems to hold promise.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Had a request for the dimensions of the boat. No idea how close they may be to an original boat.
Bottom/floor:
Length 11'-6",
Width at stern = 12"/ at bow = 29", Max width 5' from bow = 33"
Sides are 12" high at stern and 11" at the bow, They are flared 22.5 deg.
Max. beam is 42"
Rocker is 2" at stern and 3" at bow.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
First launch:

First fish:

Grandson and I had a great time. Boat fished very well. The salvinia was too thick to assess how the boat will paddle.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for posting the picture. Love the cypress and bright finish.
Could you share some dimensions and/or design features. I'm not sure if my "by eye and by hand" effort even came close.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
My son and Grandson took the boat out for another coat of fish slime. A boat is never complete until it has been properly slimed. It may be my favorite step in building.
They caught a few and including this nice one:

I think the design is working out very well.

Reactions: GJR