Oldsparkeys , Bayou Skiff test run. | SouthernPaddler.com

Oldsparkeys , Bayou Skiff test run.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mac stopped by the place today and since it was nice and sunny , windy but sunny , we decided to see if the Bayou Skiff would float. Mac said he is a good swimmer so we decide to give it a go.

Off to the lake and dropped the boat in. Left the stern up on the land and after Mac got in it a slight push and away he went. I do have to say that one time crossing in front of me ( while I was taking pictures ) he was scooting along , made me stop and just watch him go.

Mac said he will post his thoughts about the skiff after I get this posted , I have to tell you he was smiling and liked the way it handled and can get up and go.

Only thing he could find wrong is the oars are to long , 6 1/2 feet is no good , works but not like it should , about a foot shorter is what Mac suggested and I have to agree.

As Mac said when he got back to shore and stood up looking at the boat .... Chuck.. Thea's no water in here it is dry. :lol:

Anyway to prove it floats , here are a few of the pictures.

Chuck.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Uncle Johns ... Bayou Skiff. http://www.unclejohns.com/

bayou%20skiff%20071.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20075.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20077.jpg

Sits mighty high on the water. Don't let those weeds fool you , it is about 6 feet deep there.
bayou%20skiff%20078.jpg

Mac starting out in the skiff.
bayou%20skiff%20079.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20082.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20084.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20090.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20089.jpg

Here is the link to how it was built with a lot of good suggestions in it and about 60 pictures of the build.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7336

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
Put a 30 horse trolling motor and a deep cycle battery in there.

I will be down with my water skis and tow rope the end of the month.
FINE looking craft ya gots there . :shock:

I have been checking out the little gas motors but after watching Mac in the Skiff with the oars , a good trolling motor is all a person would need to really make it go. :D

As far as using it solo a trolling motor with an extension handle on it would let a person operate it and control the motor ( on - off and speed ) from the middle of the boat so it would be balanced. With a buddy in there ( counter balance in the bow ) then from the back like a person would normally do.

I have a grab bar in the bow ( that is what the rope , bow line , was attached to ) to carry it with and need to add a couple to the back of the transom so when two guys pick it up they have something to grab. Best way to figure things out is to put the boat in the water. :wink:

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Finest Kind Chuck. In that one shot it looks like it is about to levitate off the water. Tell us more, what'cha gonna do about the oars? your seat in the boat? how'd ya get it to the lake? did ya paddle it? stand up in it? OK, OK..... really nice, though. Great job.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug said:
Finest Kind Chuck. In that one shot it looks like it is about to levitate off the water. Tell us more, what'cha gonna do about the oars? your seat in the boat? how'd ya get it to the lake? did ya paddle it? stand up in it? OK, OK..... really nice, though. Great job.

0. The wind was blowing and gusting to 30 mph so we decide that Mac should get in there to keep the Skiff on the water. :lol:

1. The oars , going to get two shorter ones , already decide on that.
2. I used the one seat made out of Cypress I use in the pirogues , , tossed a boat cushion on it to add two inches when sitting. Will make a riser for it and then another seat but higher for anyone going with me when fishing in the skiff.
3. We were lazy and used Macs truck.
4. Did not row it , wanted a unbiased report since I made the Skiff. Thought it would be fun to have an test pilot ( so to speak) try it. Besides I got a lot of information watching Mac and in the pictures I took.
5. Mac stood up in it and walked around before launching it , getting the seat set right and putting the oars in place. Then later when getting out of it. Judging from the pictures on the water he was a little off center when sitting so the boat was tilted a little to one side.

Chuck.

Jul 29, 2009
Rogers Arkansas
Just a fantastic looking boat, looking foward to more user reviews of this skiff. One question if I may, saw the pictures of Mac in the boat, the skiff barely drops any deeper in the water with Mac on board.........how mant stones does Mac weigh?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
crazycajunmike said:
Just a fantastic looking boat, looking foward to more user reviews of this skiff. One question if I may, saw the pictures of Mac in the boat, the skiff barely drops any deeper in the water with Mac on board.........how mant stones does Mac weigh?

Not sure about the stones but eliminating all the HOT AIR ( Boat Science ) he has , about the same as me , right in the 200 lb bracket... I am an inch taller at 6-1 and 206 so I would say he is 190 to 200.
Might be more after visiting the Buffet Line at a restaurant that he and I enjoy when out on a trip before paddling and camping.

Man he is going to hate me for posting that information...... :lol:

bayou%20skiff%20090.jpg

bayou%20skiff%20082.jpg

Chuck.
PS. That yellow strip the bottom of it is at the 2 inch mark at the top of it is 2 1/2 inches if you are checking the depth of the boat. The green on the bottom paint is 2 inches. That is how I know he was sitting slightly off center in the Skiff.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
crazycajunmike said:
Just a fantastic looking boat, looking foward to more user reviews of this skiff.

Something else , if you are not aware of it ..........Or just missed the original thought of all of this.......

Beekeeper did one from scratch and from his thoughts and building skills the Skiff came about with him and Uncle John kicking things around on how to do it so all of us can make one for our enjoyment. Not a carbon copy of Beekeepers but a modified and different one but with the same thought about the boat. :D

Then captaindoug made an off shoot of the Skiff and eventually I made this one from Uncle Johns.

So you have on this forum the original thought from beekeeper viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7100 , then a modified version from captaindoug viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7290 and finally the sort of stock one from myself...not even thinking of the one Uncle John made viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7251 and I posted on here for us which he posted on his web site....

hairymick viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7557 is making one from the Uncle John plans and knowing Mick it will be almost normal but with a lot of modifications for his use in the Land Down Under.

We have had reviews and paddling reports from beekeeper and captaindoug on theirs , now mine and I would imaging a lot more folks as time goes by since this is one fun boat.

If I have missed anyone , Please except my Apologies and let me know. :D

Chuck.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
What a great looking boat. I cant wait till i have the funds and time to invest in building one for myself. like was mentioned earlier i am sure it would be a great boat with a 30 to 45 lbs trolling motor hanging on the back. How did the final weight turn out? How much trouble will it be to move from the truck or trailer for one person?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
savannahkelly said:
What a great looking boat. I cant wait till i have the funds and time to invest in building one for myself. like was mentioned earlier i am sure it would be a great boat with a 30 to 45 lbs trolling motor hanging on the back. How did the final weight turn out? How much trouble will it be to move from the truck or trailer for one person?

Not sure on the weight , I have not weighed it. The questimation is somewhere around 80 pounds. One neighbor who lifts weights and works out everyday said he thinks it is 40 pounds ... I guaranteed him it isn't since my other boats are 30 to 40 pounds and I move them around all the time. I can react across them and grab the far side while holding the near side and pick them up , the skiff is to wide to do that. When the inside is varnished and completed then I am going to try weighing it by putting one side on a shoulder and getting on some scales. It's to darn wide to flip like a canoe and go overhead with it. :wink:

Moving it from a truck , just slide it in or out and a slick bed liner is a big help. Back in the dark ages we had a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat and to get it and out of the truck we made up two runners , covered with carpeting, that acted like rails in the back , lift the stern up , set it on the rails , pick the bow up and slide it in the truck bed.

Not sure about a trailer but with some movable bunks on the back that / they would tilt as the boat is angled to slide off the trailer. Should be an easy job for one person. I'm going the trailer route and just slide it on and off , no winch to crank it up on the trailer with , due to the light weight ( compared to most boats. )

gatormac

Mar 21, 2004
mims fla
First off I must comment on Chucks description of me. He says I am six feet 190 lbs. I am 74 years young, 5ft 10 in, 168 lbs with a very muscular build.
Regarding the boat...I was really impressed with it. It is very light. It will fit in a pick up easily. It was really responsive to the oars. It will turn on a dime. With one person in it it will fly. We have an area here in the Indian River where no motors are allowed. I have thought of going there in my canoe. This boat would be much better in that it will handle better in a wind, and you can stand up in it. Besides that , like all of Chucks boats it is beautiful. I hope he starts building them to sell.

Gatormac