One for Bob-San. . . . Liver, Onions, 'n' Gravy (over rice) | SouthernPaddler.com

One for Bob-San. . . . Liver, Onions, 'n' Gravy (over rice)

Steve

Thought you would like this how to, Bob. . .

One 12-inch cast iron skillet, the bottom covered in with oil

1 large and 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into rings

5 cloves of garlic crushed with a knife and cut up after

Throw the onions and garlic into the skillet, and caramelize the onions and turn the garlic brown. Remove the onions. . . and then add. . .

1-1/2 pounds of L I V E R ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brown on both sides and remove. . .

Get a glass with 12oz of water and add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir it good so that it has a milk consistency. . .

Add a quarter cup of red wine to the skillet and stir with a whisk to pick up the scrappings fom the bottom of the skillet. . .

Add in the glass with the milky flour water and stir as it thickens. . . adding more plain water till you have what you think is enough gravy to cover the liver and onions. . . stir long enough to ensure no lumps. . .

Add the liver and onions back into the skillet. . .

Turn the heat down to a low simmer and let it stew until the liver is tender and can be cut with a gentle flick of of a fork. . .

Serve over your favorite rice. . . .

Jarvis Good Eating, as Jack likes to say. . .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Count me in with Piper , Fry some bacon up to make the grease for the pan , set the bacon aside for a while , do not nibble on it , then proceed with all the steps you listed.

When everything is done serve the Liver up on a plate :D, cover with some of the gravy and add a heaping amount to the center of some mashed potatoes then crumple bacon up over both of them.
Serve the sauteed' onion and garlic on the side so it does not take up any room on the main plate you what it filled with the Liver and potatoes.

If you out hunting , you can do the same with the venison heart and/or liver , slice thin and cook the same way. I doesn't get any better then that. :D

Want some light mashed potatoes ... peal , chunk and boil the spuds , when done , drain the water and while mashing them add a couple of eggs to them ... The heat in the spuds will cook the eggs as you mash everything together. You have to put gravy on them or they will float off the plate , nice and light.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve said:
mike said:
Damn, Steve and Chuck!

Can I hire you as my cooks?

YUM!

Mike

As far as hiring me, Mike. . . you gotta negotiate that with Miss Susie. . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Same for me , the wife might come a-gunning for you since I have been doing all the coking for the last 44 years. She does like her meals and might not like the idea of the cook not being here. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Liver is one of the things that real people let poor folks eat. :wink: Smart folks stay away from some junky foods. (That does not include fries, bacon, dark chocolate, or other good stuff that I like.)

Probably a good summation is, "One man's meat, is another man's poison."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Liver is one of the things that real people let poor folks eat. :wink: Smart folks stay away from some junky foods. (That does not include fries, bacon, dark chocolate, or other good stuff that I like.)

Probably a good summation is, "One man's meat, is another man's poison."

It's a shame you don't like the good stuff but what the Hell , more for us that appreciate a good meal. Lower your nose when walking threw a door , it might get in the way of entering the establishment. :lol: ( YEP... I see that as funny)

By the way the Native Americans always had the liver and heart of what ever they killed as a meal/treat in the field , it was never cooked , just really fresh/raw and eaten on the spot by the one who made the kill before the rest of the kill was divided up by the tribe. Us civilized folks cook it that same day. Need I to say we enjoy it almost as those Native Americans did but with some side dishes.

Hell , even a Wolf knows that is where all the good stuff is ( Heart an Liver) and eats it 1st when a kill is made.......That is where all the minerals and vitamins are , the good stuff. :roll:

Now if you would be so kind as to share your recipe for the Vinegar and Kidney pie you must like so well since you are so full of piss and vinegar. I am positive all of us would like it. :mrgreen:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Well, I am just speechless. Been thinking about this all day and for the life of me I cannot figure out how a sane human being would eat liver when they could be eating catfish caught with that very same liver. I do love boudain and thats made with hog liver but I don't fish with hog liver. Sides, boudain tasts nothing like liver. Have a little each morning with my eggs. I just don't know what to say guys, except Think Catfish. I hate liver but danged if Steve's recepie didn't sound good. I vote to subsitute bacon for the liver.
Bob