Overnight on Lake Verret | SouthernPaddler.com

Overnight on Lake Verret

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went out last night off of Lake Verret, mostly to iron out the hammock details before the trip with Jack and Piper. Found a good spot right off the canal on a high bank (over 4' :lol: ) . Actually had trouble finding two suitable trees far enough apart to hang the hammock. Got it hung and put up the tarp off center to give a larger covered area on one side. Thanks Kayak Jack and Sparky. Got everything situated and then noticed I was set up about 2 feet from two deer rubs. More on that later.

Hammock worked out great after I took someone's suggestion to hang the foot end a few inches higher than the head end. Actually slept until after daylight, which I never would have done in a tent.

More details and lots of piccies later.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your are welcome , just remember when you get as old as Jack you will really appreciate the comfort of the hammock. I'm close but not quite up with Jack..... YET... and I do enjoy a hammock for camping. :D

As you said , by hanging the tarp differently you have weather protection ... plus an area to cook under in case of bad weather. Basically the configuration of a "L" with the long part as the top works really well. Another nice thing is that you have a lot of visibility and ventilation when camping that way , unlike being stuck in a tent.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Arriving at the campsite.
boatatcamp.jpg

Hammock set up with tarp. I like the extra space to store things. Couldn't stretch the tarp out full length because of a small tree.
hammw-tarp.jpg

These are the two deer rubs next to the set up. This would cause some excitement later Saturday night. :)
rubs.jpg

After setting up camp, I took a walk down the levee and found the monster of all deer scrapes. They're usually 2-3 feet in diameter, but this one was huge!
scrape.jpg

The old boy must have wanted to check out the scrape for any hot females in the area about 1:00 this morning. He came within 60 yards of camp and gave an alarm snort-- a loud WHEEEEEW!!. He did not want me there, because he stayed around for 10 minutes, snorting all the while. I lost count after 40 snorts.

The draping bug net worked well. Not a one mosquito inside all night. I do have to do a little trimming here and there.

Sunset Saturday night.

sunset1-2.jpg

A ful-sized natural bonsai. A true survivor.

cyprbonsai.jpg

Heading home.

100_0529.jpg

A nice bit of color in an otherwise drab lanscape. Swamp maple.

maple.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep... You should of had a good full moon to enjoy the evening with , if not most of the night.

That moon is sure making me wish I was camping and it just might have me doing it , really soon before it dissapears / wanes back to dark for this month. :D

Chuck.
PS. Did the income tax returns for this year and found out I can actually go camping for a while this new year. :roll: :lol: Just don't tell Uncle Sam.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Got this rather shakey picture of the moon. Long exposures with my $99.00 camera need a steadier hand than mine. Full moon camping is great. You can see to get around pretty well after your eyes become accustomed to it.

fullmoon.jpg

Looks like the moon will be dark for our trip the last week of this month.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Ron. By the way, I know you're a big hunter, did you ever see a scrape that big? I did a fair amount of hunting and never saw one even close to that big.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, guys. The weather was great. Mid 70's during the day and just cool enough at night for a longsleeve shirt and a semi-open sleeping bag.

I was into a little 35mm photography years back, but lost interest. It was just too expensive and involved to take and process the pictures. Didn't know what you had captured on film until the prints were picked up. This digital technology is a flat out miracle compared to back then. Take 20 pictures and if you don't like them---delete.

I bought a 200 mm lense back then for $200.00 in 1980's money that gave the same magnification as my $99.00 camera comes with as a standard feature!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
I like your HAND MADE rig, Joey. (Sure as hell don't wanna rile the boy with another home made comment!)

Yep, made it with my own two hands (well, my wife's two hands did the sewing.). It's all perception, Jack. Take knives for instance. "Handmade" knives sell for 3 times the price of "Homemade" knives. "HandCRAFTED" knives sell for 3 times the price of 'handmade". Same knife- different name. It's marketing, which can be shortened to BS. :)

"Raw fish eggs" just doesn't have the same appeal as "the finest beluga caviar." The guy in charge of THAT marketing job was some kind of salesman.

Joey

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
jdupre'

I used to fish Lake Verrett with my father and grandfather during the 80's and early 90's when I was a young. I recall the water always being rough out there. Of course this would be out in the middle of the lake and it would appear you stick to the trees and the shore line. I was just curious about your experiences paddling Lake Verrett. Any close calls with boaters, wakes or wildlife? :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Boaters are pretty courteous out there. I do tend to stick close to shore, but will cut across between points if the water is right. Lake Verret is a shallow lake and can kick up some whitecaps in a hurry. I normally try to get off of it before 10:00 or so, before the bigger waves form.

Closest call with wildlife was a 10' gator that turned towards me and went under still heading in my direction. Started paddling a little faster :shock: , looked back and could see his bow wave still coming my way. A 10' gator will give you incentive to paddle just a little faster. :)

The lake is a explorers paradise. Great old cypress trees, secluded sloughs and coulees, eagles, ducks, cormorants. You can load up the boat with interesting driftwood and catch a few fish to boot.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re:

jdupre' said:
Kayak Jack said:
I like your HAND MADE rig, Joey. (Sure as hell don't wanna rile the boy with another home made comment!)

Yep, made it with my own two hands (well, my wife's two hands did the sewing.). It's all perception, Jack. Take knives for instance. "Handmade" knives sell for 3 times the price of "Homemade" knives. "HandCRAFTED" knives sell for 3 times the price of 'handmade". Same knife- different name. It's marketing, which can be shortened to BS. :)

"Raw fish eggs" just doesn't have the same appeal as "the finest beluga caviar." The guy in charge of THAT marketing job was some kind of salesman.

Joey
Same fella musta worked the week they renamed pig snot as gritz.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
PS. Yankees eat grits , the king sized bleached out ones called Hominy.

Alright, hang on a minute here... I've been living here in the heart of Dixie my whole life, and I love hominy. I actually make the stuff. From dried corn, no less. I consider it a delicacy.

Grits is just hominy, ground up. It's too good for Yankees. They should stick to cream of wheat. :)

George

Reactions: FrankAS