Paddlin Paradise for us | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddlin Paradise for us

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Robin (my wife) and I just got back from paddling in paradise! This would have to be one of South East Queensland's's best kept secrets.

Just down the road from Monteville in the Sunshine Coasts hinterland, we found this lake where no stink boats are allowed and a local told me 20 inch + bass are common.

When Robin and I stopped here, we were just gob-smacked by the beauty of the place. There was an old guy on a surf ski in the water and he invited us to join him so he could show off his back yard. We couldn't unload quickly enough! The lakes shores are surrounded by steep mountains still mostly covered with old growth rainforest with gullies and little creeks going right into the heart of the rainforest. The main creek feeding this lake is called Obi Obi and it can be paddled allmost to its headwaters. Platypus are still here and thriving :D .Bangalow palms, and white & red cedar trees are everywhere and also a profusion of ferns, and stag & elkhorns in trees right on the waters edge.

The piccies tell the story.

There is a very,very nice little resort type complex right on the waters edge with magnificent tree house cabins set in the rainforest. (only nine cabins in all and each, very private. All have an elevated walking platform through the rainforest canopy :shock: :D ) The people there were kind enough to show us around and in one of them. The cabins are world class with a spa overlooking the water and a log fire in each! :D

If you are looking for a very romantic place to take you loved one and spoil her/him rotten, this has got to be the place. Details can be seen here. Check it out. http://www.treetop.com.au/things/index.html

It is called lake Baroon

A couple of piccies

BribieTrip2006andlakebaroon086.jpg

BribieTrip2006andlakebaroon079.jpg

BribieTrip2006054.jpg

BribieTrip2006046.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK .... MIck
Is it a secret or do you want to tell us what the fishing is like and then if we can get personal and ask you what it is like to spend the night in one of those tree houses with your girl friend and paddling partner.... "O"ooop's Wife . :oops: .....Slight slip of the fingers on the keyboard......Bad Keyboard , Bad Keyboard .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Chuck,

No scret mate. I don't know. Have never wet a line in thee. The old geezer on the ski told me it is a stocked system. Been stocked for many years with Aussie Bass and barramundi. The Barra never took too well because the water is too cool. Both species need to run to the salt water to spawn. In these impoundments where they cant get out, They just grow big. A wild bass in its natural environment normally only grows to about 2 pounds. In the impoundments, they are recorded as exceeding 7 pounds. Average size in my local system is around 3 or 4 pounds and very good sport fish. They are recognised as our premier native freshwater tournament species and will pull the arse out of a brown or rainbow trout twice its size, and are much better to eat. :D

That first piccie shows the roof tops of the cabins I described.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack
Pup's likes Gator , he thinks it is candy and scarfs each chunk down like some candy..... I bet Crock would be just the same. Those pore critters would never know what got them.

Pup's is all teeth, really quick with a bad attitude when after anything that walks, crawls, runs , limps or flies and is not family..... That is why I have him. :D Trust me .. NO ONE comes into the yard or the house without being invited and when we are at the store and he has his seat (the passingers seat) in the jeep ..... The Jeep is SAFE. :twisted:

Mix together in a large pot a Rotwielder, Chow and German Shepherd then dump it all out and form it into a dog then .... You have Pup's

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... Mix together in a large pot a Rottweiler, Chow and German Shepherd then dump it all out and form it into a dog then .... You have Pup's
Many pet owners look like their pets. You should be so lucky!

(HINT: Get a gator for a pet. Then similarities would be easier to spot.)

OK, Chuckie, your turn

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Dave, I love it all, fresh,salt, running, stillwater, doesn't matter to me.

Robin is dropping BIG hints about going back there for a few days - with a couple of pirogues. :D :D :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack you are a wise and perceptive man indeed. :D :D

Who knows? a lovely new pirogue and a few days in a real flash place like that and she might even start to like me again.