peeing in the river? | SouthernPaddler.com

peeing in the river?

If one of your paddling partners pisses in the lake, how will you react?

• Be upset, and never paddle with this individual again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be upset, discuss it with the culprit and give him a chance to mend his ways before you decide wheth

• Don't like it but shrug it off - "Different Folks, Different Strokes"

• It's OK, but I would not do it myself

• It's OK and I do the same

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheOtherHank

Jan 27, 2007
Pacifica, CA
The solution to pollution is dilution. Besides, the fish are all peeing in there already.

Back in my river running days we wouldn't pull over for pee stops. If you had to go, you had to jump in the water and relax. In camp we told them to either pee in the river or as close to the water as possible.

- Hank

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We always set the rest room up in the woods when camping , well away from the river but with a view of the river.
As far as riverside breaks , it is back in the woods , away from the river.

YES... I know fish and everything else does it in the river but we wash our dishes in the same river so the less pollution there is the better it is. "O" the final rinse for the dishes is some Clorox with the river water.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I believe that "A solution to pollution is dilution", but it is not THE solution. Best solution, of course is to not do it in the first place. Since, while living, that is an impossibility, we move on to Plan B in between damned quickly and instantly. Clean it up.

I don't drink water from rivers or lakes unfiltered. Used to, was lucky, don't do it anymore. If we're talking a white water river, then aeration will clean up a bit of human urine in less than a mile. Sunlight will shorten that distance. A slow, lazy river will carry it along, nurture it, and help it grow.

I guess it comes down to respect. If a paddler shows disrespect to the group or to Mother Nature, it isn't a mark in the Atta Boy column. I've likely wracked up a few marks for myself in the Sphincter of the Week column, but generally try not to.

Pee belongs on the trees surrounding your camp site. This is written in the language of animals that "I live here. Stay away!" Larger animals pee higher and send even more pronounced signals. Best if you can sprinkle it about chest high. Some guys can do that au-naturalle; I have to use a cup.

"Chuckie, can I borrow your cup again, please?"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
If you have ever paddled in deep Canada and have to drink that water....you'd think twice before doing it. I think it's pretty crude and rude. That's why I pissed in Jacks Rum and Lime bottle when we were marooned in 10,000 Islands. He thought it was the limes Chuckles brought that made the Rum taste great! :wink:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
The early results say that we don't appreciate peein in the rivers we camp by and use for are daily routines at campin. this poll will last for seven days.

dawallace45

Personally I couldn't give a rats ar#e if they pee in the river , it's either tidal mangrove areas or outback areas where the water is just a little too thin to plough and full of cow , sheep and pig droppings any way , I get upset if they pee against my tent or the tree my hammock is tied to , I've actually had this happen and the perpetrators ended up taking a very quick swim

David

dawallace45

In both cases the individuals were drunk out of their brains and the dip in the river just helped to sober them up , in one case very quickly indeed as there had been a 14 ft croc hanging around that day , that young feller just about walked on water getting back to the bank , had this silly notion about fighting me , another quick dip in the river made him change his mind ,
Now I like to have a drink but I have no time for people who take it too far and get agro and show no respect for other people and their property , I do tend to over react in those situations

David

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
dawallace45 said:
Now I like to have a drink but I have no time for people who take it too far and get agro and show no respect for other people and their property , I do tend to over react in those situations David

Me too David.......Me too....... :x :evil: :twisted:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Shucks, I dunno. Up in Canada, I'd mosey over and pee on Yakus Urinicus' hammock every once in a while. Dapper Al would walk uphill from the beach to pee there too. Kinda helped improve the smell of his area.

He's never bothered to thank me, but I know he appreciated it. Could tell by the way he cracked his knuckles as he glared at me at breakfast the next morning.