Perry's Bayou Skiff Build | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Perry's Bayou Skiff Build

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Here are the pics I promised. I tried to resize them so they wouldn't be as large as the last ones I posted. let me know if this size is better. I now have the ribs epoxied to the sides and the rub rails on.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fun, isn't it, watching a pile of slats and plywood become a useful object? We are builders, and have opposed thumbs. Human characteristics.

But, Twin nailed us even better, when he observed that, "Man - is the only animal that blushes. . . . . . Or needs to."
BINGO!

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Well guys I've been back at it and making steady progress. Hope to post some new pics soon. I finished the inside and glassed the bottom and sides. As soon as I sand the glass on the bottom runners I'm gunna start covering the bottom with resin and graphite. How do I determine the height of the waterline? I want to graphite up to it then paint from there up. My sides are 14 inches ... does that make a difference? Happy Easter everyone and thanks for your help. ☺

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I suspect that each of us determines that "waterline" differently. In this case, for graphited epoxy, i look at it a bit differently. The reason I put this stuff on is to 1. Protect the hull, and 2. Provide a slippery surface to rocks, logs, concrete, & lilly pad-type weeds.
The geometry of the hull can be more important here than how high up it is. I stand back, cast a bloodshot eyeball upon the hull, and imagine it sliding along a sharply edged rock. Some parts of the hull can easily shed obstacles, and others are built to grab on to them. The parts that shed obstacles may not need to be graphited.
Others do it differently.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The height of the sides really does not matter when deciding how far up the side to graphite the boat. The determining factor is the distance the sides are in the water when you have your normal weight in the boat.

Two ways to do it ,
1. Put the boat in the water and sitting very still have a friend mark the water line for you of without moving the boat reach over and mark the waterline. Really dirty water will leave a scum line at the waterline so you can measure it before cleaning ( washing ) the boat.
Any of the above methods it pays to do a light sanding to rough up the surface or the epoxy before applying the epoxy and graphite mix.
2. Take a shot in the dark and make it 2 to 3 inches which would cover just about everything and still leave some of the graphite above the water line.

Chuck.............

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Thanks guys. I went with three layers 3 inches up the sides. There is lots of debate on whether or not the graphite increases slickness and strength or hardness and I'm not looking to open that can of worms, but I know one thing for sure... it looks darn good!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It doesn't have to satisfy any of us - just you. I'm redoing the bottom of my kayak. Retaping the keel where it has scraped across obstructions in Michigan, Canada, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, etc. And replacing a coat or two of graphite enriched epoxy up to the waterline.

Next step will then be to start wearing it off again. As my Momma used to say, "If it isn't one thing - it's another!"

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
I finally got her finished. Haven't been able to post due to computer problems but now able to thanks to my new phone. Posting a pic to make sure the size is ok. Someone please let me know and then I will resize and post the rest. Thanks

P.S. I am getting an error message that says SORRY, THE BOARD ATTACHMENT QUOTA HAS BEEN REACHED.

Any idea what that means???

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Can't help you with the picture problem, but don't give up. I am looking forward to seeing your boat.

bee

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Great job on the boat! That exterior color is nearly perfect camouflage for fishing on the lawn.

Pics size looks good to me.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
VERY nice looking boat!

I really like your choice of colors and blend of natural wood. 8)

Mike