Pigs in a Pen .... | SouthernPaddler.com

Pigs in a Pen ....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have not done this ....YET .... But will.

When out camping a good breakfast is something to enjoy and if it has a surprise then all the better.
Why not have a pancake with a surprise in it since pancakes are a good energy source besides just being darn good tasting when out in the woods or even at home.

What I am thinking about is the ole Pigs in a Blanket idea but in this case they would be called Pigs in a Pen.

Using the BakePacker and making the Dutch Boy Pancake, drop the sweets and use some of the breakfast sausage links already cooked. You can pre cook them at home or out in the woods or just get the pre cooked ones.

Take the pancake batter and put 1/2 of it to the bag then add the sausage links (Pre cooked) and now the rest of the batter.

Cook the pancake like you always do and when it is done you have a pancake with a sausage center. You could do the same thing with strawberries, apples ... darn ...... anything you like as a center filling.

With my Ulta Lite BakePacker the pancake I make is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches high and 6 inches across. It will feed 2 or 3 people , or just me and then I have left overs for lunch or snacking while paddling. :D

Jean at Adventure Foods.. http://www.adventurefoods.com/ .. has the BakePacker and offers southernpaddler members a discount on all of our camping eats and cooking in case you forgot. :p

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Verlen Kruger (doff hats, and bow heads here) always said you could paddle more miles on a pancake than any other food. And, that "fortified" pancakes were the best of all. He often fortified them with oatmeal. (NOTE: not greeitz - oatmeal. He and I are both from the Lansing area.)

I agree with Chuck. I add prefried bacon, nuts, dried apple slices, dates, GORP, etc. About the only thing that I think wouldn't be good in them is left over green beans.

When you steam-bake a pancake (or any other food, for that matter), the timing is much more forgiving than when frying it in a pan. You can be busy with camp chores, or packing to hit the water, and leave it on the fire a bit longer than a recipe calls for.

Only real danger is running the pan dry. Do NOT want to do that. Melted plastic reminds too many guys of home cooking and then they get homesick.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

I think the days of the ole pancake being done in a frying pan are just about over with.
Now, I for one will still do that at home , flap jack's , some sort of good ........but in the woods I want something better and if I can make it more of a cake with goodies inside then more get and go for me.

After all it is called a CAKE and cakes do come in layers, several of them depending on the occasion, a 20 tier one for weddings and now a 2 tier one for camping. :D

I have got to try one with those little pre cooked, eat all ya want, smokes cocktail sausages ...........

By the way are you in any way related to the Flap Jacks ......... Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

V.Kruger would estimated the distance to paddle and then had the pancakes for that distance before starting. He said they were the only thing that would work for him & I agree they are packed with energy.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Chuck,

Reckon I got a bum steer. I heard a pancake wuz near bout the worst energy food. I hear it aint got many calories 'n nobody picks it fer a carbo load.

I jest like 'em fer what ya kin spread on 'em. :wink:

regards,

bearridge
bodine culinary institute

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. Oscar Wilde

JEM

These contrasting posts sound a lot like Verlen's whole take on life: Go with what works and not what traditional convention says.

He designed his boats like that and and lived his life like that too: He didn't mess around with traditional wisdom. He experimented and found out what worked best.

You also have to remember the kind of paddling he did: 100s if not 1000s of miles at a time. Pancakes are great for that because it gives you the long term energy burn. Not the quick-hit like caffeine or sugar.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Philosophy 101.1

JEM said:
These contrasting posts sound a lot like Verlen's whole take on life: Go with what works and not what traditional convention says. (SNIP)
Matt, I'm guessing that you have defined one of the "Secrets of Life". There are many ways to examine and categorize men, one way is to set them into groups (primarily, only two groups) divided by how much of the party line they swallow, versus how much they learn on their own.

"Seek thine own counsel" is good advice for the courageous, a death knell for the coward. And of course, some will do well to NEVER listen to themselves - they're damned fools and nobody should listen to them.

As youngsters, we memorized data to assemble a bank of knowledge. Primarily, this was to get enough knowledge to be able to learn more knowledge. You can't learn calculus if you don't already know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. You can’t learn how to conquer space, if you don't already know about geography.

In adolescence, of course, we instantly gained total knowledge because our parents had suddenly become stupid. A few years later we learned that they weren't quite as stupid as we had imagined. AND that - horror of horrors - we weren't quite as omniscient as we had thought!

Somewhere down stream, we gained a balance where we realized that though we had accumulated a helluva lot of knowledge, there was more out there that we don’t know that we will ever hope to assimilate. BUT, we have gained an appreciation of ourselves and how we can be not only good people, but learned ones as well. And, we can keep right on learning.

Problems develop when some of the knowledge we learn conflicts with some of the knowledge we had already learned. Hmm, what to do now? Now – I have to think! What is true? What is right? Now the business of living begins. We have to learn to separate the fly specks from the pepper. Guess what? Lotsa folks out there just QUIT at that point. It’s easier to just sit back and let someone else tell me what’s true, than it is to find out for myself.

That’s a first step to emotional suicide. Trouble is – it feels OK at the time. And there are lots of folks out there who WANT to tell you what is true. Then, they can control you and you will “be like themâ€Â

A

Anonymous

Friend Jack,

What if Verlen wuz plain wrong 'n it wuz all in hiz head? What if Verlen never allowed az how pancakes wuz the best eatin' fer a hunerd mile paddle? What if Verlen ate 'em jest cuz they tasted good?

I reckon testin' everthin' iz good. Course, it dont do no good ta run a test if ya already made up yer mind before ya git started. :wink:

After a pancake breakfast ('er donuts) I git hungry before lunch. I dont after granola 'er ham 'n eggs. Now if ya change a pancake by addin' oatmeal, 'er use real flour, thats anuther tale.

Most folks aint ever paddled a hunerd miles, so they dont really know what kinda food will stick ta yer ribs the longest. I aint ever seen them eco-folks who run over mountains, swim cross the ocean 'n ride a bicycle cross the desert eat a pancake.

regards,

bearridge
skeptic

Cyncicism, as a state of mind, produces more accurate observations about the universe that practically any other. Michael Wikoff

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mornin, Br'r Bear, how ya doin there young man?

As always, you have some good points. It's entirely possible that Verlen was just joshin when he said that you can paddle more miles on a pancake than on anything else. And, of course, it's also possible that he was wrong. Wrong in that, there are some other foods (yet to be discovered) that will surpass pancakes. Course, as Crocigator Dundee sez, "They may taste like s*^t."

Your testimony suggests another good point, that a mix of foods will last you longer than the same calorie count of a single food. I noticed that when I was chopping and stacking wood of a winter morning. Some breakfasts would last until 9:30 or so, and others would last until about 11:00. NOTHING lasted until noon. That's why God invented Hersey bars.

Then, some digestive systems work different from others. Mine likes pancakes and maple syrup. Quiets down the tappets and gets rid of that annoying "ping" when I step on the accellerator. Toss in some dead pig and chicken embryos and it goes even better.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Grumpy Old Men..

Scene from Grumpy Old Men...

Jack Lemmon (John Gustofson) and his Dad, Burgess Meredith (Pops), are standing next to the lake fishing. Both drinking a beer...
Pops tells his son who is concered about his health,
"Know what I eat for breakfast? Bacon!!!
"Know what I have for lunch? Bacon!!!
"For my mid-day snack, I have bacon!!!
" Than for dinner, well, I just drink my dinner...

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I read a story once, that said pirates in the Carribean (the ones before Disney) captured wild pigs on the islands and made bacon for voyages. They got to be called "baconeers", which segued into "buccaneers".

An THAT is how Errol Flynn was born.

A

Anonymous

Friend Kayak Jack,

I been cipherin' on how fast a river moves 'n how much paddlin' it takes ta git a hunerd miles. I never seen no point in seein' how fast ya kin git down a river.

I did paddle hard a few times when I misjudged the time a day 'n distance on the Father of the Waters. I set out too late in the day 'n had ta dig hard cuz paddlin' in the dark on a big river fulla barges 'n stretches where somethin' iz makin' a heap a racket, but ya caint see what, wuz kinda scairy.

Pull up Gunnison, MS on yer Yahoo map 'n look up a few miles northwest at "Dennis Landing" where I put in and "Terrene Landing" where I took out. According to the scale, it iz near bout 19.5 miles. No wonder I ended up in the dark. I figgered it wuz bout 10 miles. :roll: :oops:

On the Big Ditch I never paddled hard fer very long cept #1 tryin' ta paddle ta the bank when a big tow wuz comin', #2 tryin' ta paddle out ta git behind a barge ta ride the big swells, 'er #3 tryin' ta git ta the takeout in the pitch black.

Last time I put in round 2 p.m., figgerin' I kin git out jest before dark. Paddlin' on the Big Muddy round sunset, listenin' ta the cicadas iz a mitey special time. However, last time it wuz after 8 when I got off 'n the sun had gone down round 7. It wuz some fear 'n loathin' that last hour.

So that wuz near bout 6 hours fer near bout 20 miles....no stoppin', but no more than two total hours a hard paddlin'.

If I done the same thing fer 12 hours, it woulda been 40 miles. The Mississippi flows purty fast down here, altho it dont seem like it when ya jest settin' in it floatin' along.

If I done 4 hours hard paddlin' outta 6, I could cover some more miles. I reckon if I put in at sun up, it wouldnt be that hard ta paddle 12 hours with 8 hours hard paddlin'....if I ate my Cherrios. :wink:

Ya wanna come down 'n start at daybreak 'n see how far we kin git before the sun goes down? We mite git ta see Vicksburg! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
racin' geezer, retired

One of the serious obstacles to the improvement of our race is indiscriminate charity.
Andrew Carnegie

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK ............

Test time for my idea. :D

Picked up some of the pancake mix I like, Pioneer Brand , http://www.pioneermills.com and some of the Hillshire Farm Lit'l Smokies a division of Sara Lee Foods , no web site listed.

The pancake mix is great for out in the woods ... just add water and you have some good Buttermilk Pancakes. Now the ones I will do in the morning will have a layer of the Lit'l Smokies in the center and with some Orange Marmalade over the top they should be worth eating.
Actually I should have said one pancake since I am going to use the Backpacker for this because everything can be cooked in one pot and you have a big , fluffy, cake ... not just a single flat pancake.

By the way if this is as good as I think it will be then the chit chat on this post will vanish.......... Got to have the original thought there for folks looking at us and not buried under all of the rest or they will never know how it is.
YEP ..I get serious about cooking , just like you guy's do about eating when out there with me . :wink:

Chuck.
PS. Jack , I will not tell anyone about your idea , if this works out , that you wanted me to do one with a grit filling so you would know how to do it out camping. Mums the word .. I would never tell anyone.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) PS. Jack , I will not tell anyone about your idea , if this works out , that you wanted me to do one with a grit filling so you would know how to do it out camping. Mums the word .. I would never tell anyone.
It's a well known fact that the Chiraquawa Sioux used shields molded from dried gritz against bullets. They were successful until the US Cavalry upgraded to the 100 caliber Gattling. Even the 50 cal Gattling bullets would bounce right off. However, the resultant ringing in the ears of the combatant Sioux dictated 12 minute rest breaks from combat every hour.

They often used these times to sweep up the brass of fallen cavalry, pick feathers of fallen braves, and brew Earl Grey tea. To this day, eating gritz is associated with "Grey Times".

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK ....I did it.

Got up this morning and broke out the backpacker from the backpack and off to the kitchen.

Got the backpacker ready and then added 1/2 of the batter to the bag, then a handful of the little smokes and toped it off with the rest of the batter.
On the stove and when it started steaming on went the top of the pot, let it cook for 15 minutes and then pulled it off the heat. Off came the top and out came the bag, eased the bag down over the pancake and then inverted it on a paper plate so I could get the rest of the cooking bag off the cake.

WOW ..... one thick pancake ( about 1 1/2 inches) with the sausages in the lower half. They sunk in the batter while cooking but not all the way, they were still covered.

Cut a piece, about 1/3 of the cake and tried it. A really thick, fluffy pancake with a sausage center, I like it and pup's did enjoy some with me. It would be really good out camping since everything is in one cake and it is so large it would take two people to eat the whole pancake.

Mary and Neil were home so I took the rest over to them , to see what they think about it.
I guess they are OK since rescue did not show up at the place and they did leave for there daily routine. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, the test results are in from across the street.

Mary had this to say.

I hate to say it dad but it was sort of gross.
But then again I don't like the little smokes.

What can I say ??????????????? Back to the drawning board or in this case the kitchen. :evil:
The only thing I know is I liked them and so did pup's but I have been told we will eat anything. Kid's what do they know :?:

Now I know why there were two Garbage trucks out here today. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Next test will be on the wife and see what she thinks.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck,

Sory, I agree with Mary. Lose the litte smokes and use real sausage - fried. Little smokes are like hot dogs and balogna - the two best parts are the fat and the cereal. The rest is "5 T": Tails, tits, tongues, toucheholes, and testicles.

There's a reason why Jimmy Dean is still in business. And the Dutch Boy Pancake in the BakePacker is an excellent place for some real sausage. Slices of dried apple too.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Thomas Edison found a couple of thousand ways to NOT make a light bulb. He had to find only one that was a right way. Fortunately, you and I were there to help him with that project.

And, we didn't get any slivers in our hands when we spun those wooden props for Orville and Wilbur. Oh - those were GOOD days!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

You have no idea of what I would give to be back in those times.... Life was a lot simpler, don't you agree.

There was nothing better for me then that trip out west ( that we did ) with those two guy's and we opened the West up for everyone else, now those two guy's (Clark and Merry something) got all of the credit but we did the work, cooking, scouting, fighting indians , cleaning and everything else.

BOY, the folks today have it so easy and they will never know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would have said on his new's cast. :D Heck half of this gang proably does not even know who he was. :p

Chuck
PS .. Thinking about it those Lil Smokies would of been a lot better for supper then that rawhide we had to cook fer soup ........up above the frost line. :lol: :lol:

Jack
Ya got me to thinking about the old times. Remember when we meet that Swamp's Cat's guy up there in the wilds on that one ridge and he was trying to trap bear. He was the guy that kept saying ...Stomp on high or something like that.

We told him that he was at the wrong area cause Bear Ridge was down in the swamps of Louisiana practicing to be a lawyer. Guess they have to practice all of the time cause they just don't get it right till they become a Judge and don't know any better.

Then there was that dapper Al dude with all of those fine clothes and without a wrinkle then you wanted to throw him in the creek to see if he came out the same way ... and I wrecked ya fun by stopping you. What ever happen to him?

Now that pirogue fellow, you know the guy bigger then the mountain .... Heck he was that fellow who just picked up the one mule so David (from down under) could shod him. No not Pirogue the mule. Guess that is why David said he was from down under but he never did said under the mule.

If I remember correctly ya liked to call him pee....you but he never did smell bad, anyway to me. Might of been you buckskins ya were wiffing or that silly boat he was paddling.

I could go on for a long time about everyone we meet but who want's to be bored with the past. Best I just shut up fer now.............. :lol: :roll:

Awwwwwww the good ole day's .............