Pirogue build in Delaware | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue build in Delaware

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Wipe the surface with laquer thinner and lots of rags to remove the varnish. Spread the rags out on a clothes line or concrete to dry completely before you throw them away.

I did a walking stick in spar varnsh once that never did fully dry. Years later it is still grippy. I've been asked many times how I did the grippy finish, people actually like it. Of course I tell them ancient family secret. Still dont know why it never cured, same varnish has been used on other sticks with fine results, maybe I didn't have it fully mixed?

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Re: Pirogue build in Delaware-Launch

So I went to Lowe's and told the sales person about my trouble and asked for a recommendation on poly. I went home and put a coat on. As it was drying I came in and starting reading the post in General. I saw a post asked the question about varnish vs poly. To my surprise and shock, the posts at the end said don't use poly and no minwax. I went to the poly web page and found it to be interior, though it doesn't state it.
I launched with the poly and will sand is off. I read more and think the issue was amine blush. I used Simple Green and washed down the entire boat. The paper towels turned orange and the waxy feel went away. I am surprised how the blush reacted with the varnish. I will be testing a patch once the poly is sanded off. Still deciding on varnish vs. paint for the sides but I have the winter to think about it. I have alot to learn about the boat and it still needs all the details worked out.

It floated nice, I already started the trolley to launch with my old lawn mower high wheels. Working on the car racks to fix my car, used the wifes since she has racks.

The little guy had fun throwing his practice weight in the water and reeling it in. Realized how much I need to make the seats. Good winter project. As this is my first boat, I will learn as I go and enjoy it with my kids. My daughter wasn't ready to get in this time.

Look pretty good. I am happy with my "first" build :D . Now I have the winter to make changes and improvements.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is one fine looking Pirogue and you did an outstanding job on making it. I especially like what you did with the stems pieces , I always sawed off the excess but you have hit on a good idea with the way you used them. That is one solid area for a bow or stern line.

file.php

Chuck.

memphisjim

Dec 17, 2009
MDS, I'm about to start on my first pirogue and have read your posts. Beautiful boat you made and I hope mine emerges at least half this nice.

I plan to make enclosed compartments and am curious where you found the round covers that you used for your compartments. Thanks, Jim

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
I found them on Ebay under "deck hatch". I bought 6" beacause I got a good deal. I think 4" would work but the 6" is a better size. I just checked and Cabela's also has them, $12.99, with 3 colors.

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
The wife saw me reading this page and told me one boat was all we had room for. I told her not to worry, I'm not making another one, "this year" :wink: . I really like the strip boats :D but I plan on waiting until the kids can help more. I have some finishing to do this winter and plan to just enjoy it when it warms up. We do have a full basement, the current resting place of my boat, so I think I could make room for more.
I do find myself sitting on the couch watching the boob tube :cry: and a though comes into my mine, wishing I have a boat to work on instead. 100+ channel on the idot box and the boat still creeps into my brain. It was a great joy to work on and I look forward to making as many boat as my wife will allow me to. :idea: :twisted: I can see a fleet for the family, start another for the Boy Scouts when my son is older. I wondered what I could get for one? All the beach vacationers in Delaware, make it with the wood showing, a nice side job? The best counseler I meet with during my 6+ years in college told me to find a hobbie and make it your job.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
MDS, I have two kayaks hanging in my garage, above the overhead door. Screw eyes into ceiling joist, pulleys and rope and voila'! I have a mini block and tackle to lift the boats up there.

Storage space is where you find it.

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Back on the page after some time away, :mrgreen: I have been working to finishing up some details. The inside now has yellow porch paint, 4 coats and the interior bottom is getting a truck bed liner coating this week. I have 4 coat of varnish on the outside as well. I went back to the Cabot varnish and it is fine. As I have sanded every inch of the boat in different light I have noticed blushing. I tried to make sure I was coating withint 72 hours or wiping down with acetone. I would suggest to wash every area with soap and water prior to applying a next coat if it's more than 48 hours since the last application. I have a small keel on the back end and will be installing UHMW rub strips to both end. The anti static UHMW is so tough it should last for years of abuse.
I took me some time to get the pulley system to work for storage but I think it will work. I will post some pictures later. I was out with my son in April and I am hoping to take him again this weekend. I have been learnig to fish so we might catch something while in the boat. :)

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Here are some photos.

While sanding I saw the blush and after paint with the black paint it stood out enough for a picture. I hope you can see how the next layer of epoxy acted like water on oil. :(

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Here are the photos of the Anti-static UHMW (3/8" thick) parts I added to protect the keel. I used S/S screws for holding power and adhesive sealant to seal them in. Each screw had an undersized pilot hole, then driven in with sealant on the threads starting at the tip. Water should never make it to the wood. I drove the boat onto the rock when landing and then lifted the boat and drug it out of the water with my son in it to test the material. Even trying, I barely left even a mark on the material. I think the sheet was under $20 and will be well worth it.

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
Last weekend I took my son fishing on Sat for a few hours and really enjoyed the time. He didn't really want to fish but didn't complain too much. I went alone on Sunday and even though I found a pond not to fish in :( , still had a great time paddling around in my boat. Both kids are going next Sunday for a paddle with me and I can't wait. :D We're making memories together in a boat I made myself. :D :D :D

mds

Jul 9, 2009
Delaware
From Wikipedia; Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE or sometimes shortened to UHMW), also known as high-modulus polyethylene (HMPE) or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. It has extremely long chains, with molecular weight numbering in the millions, usually between 2 and 6 million. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[citation needed] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals, with exception of oxidizing acids. It has extremely low moisture absorption, has a very low coefficient of friction, is self-lubricating, and is highly resistant to abrasion (15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel). Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of Teflon, but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than Teflon. It is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.

I purchase mine from McMaster Carr
More About Static-Dissipative UHMW Polyethylene
Rectangular Bars and Sheets (9542K and 85705K)
Common applications for this material include grain handling liners, conveyor components, and electronic, robotic, and assemblyparts.
This information is to advise you on current technical knowledge for comparative purposes only. It is given without obligation or liability.
No warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or application is made.
Tensile Strength: 3205 psi per ASTM D638
Impact Strength: 22 ft.-lbs/in./in. per ASTM D4020
Coefficient of Friction: .12 per ASTM D1894
Hardness: Shore D69 per ASTM D2240
Coefficient of Thermal Expansion: 1.1×10-4 in./in./°F per ASTM D696
Weather Resistance: Use indoors and outdoors.
Processing: Machinability: Can be machined with standard tooling.
Molding: Can be compression molded.
Thermoforming: Can be thermoformed.
Scratch Resistance: Material is scratch resistant.
Chemical Resistance: Use with butyl alcohol, calcium chloride, ethyl alcohol, and glycerine[/i].